• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera/Adaptor/Eyepiece for Pentax Scope? (1 Viewer)

Sorry, I accidentally posted this over on the "Adaptors" forum and meant to post it here in "Cameras":

I am new to this forum, so first I'd like to say hello to everyone.

I have a Pentax PF80ED angled scope and am wanting to set it up for digiscoping. I was wondering if the other Pentax users out there could recommend some camera/adaptor/eyepiece combinations. I've gotten some opinions on the Yahoo digiscoping forum and thought I'd also test the waters here.

Thanks!
Pat

Hi Pat. Before suggesting anything I would like to know what camera do you have and how do you intend to digiscope: leave camera attached to eyepiece (that is what I do) or not. I personally like the threaded eyepieces (dcl28, pentax XW, baader hyperion) to which I attach my CP 4500. Even if the camera does not have a thread there are adapters that will allow you to attach the camera to the eyepiece. In my experience, lower magnifications result in better images, but that is jus me. All digiscoped pictures in my gallery are taken using the same socpe you have.

mmdnje said:
Hi Pat. Before suggesting anything I would like to know what camera do you have and how do you intend to digiscope: leave camera attached to eyepiece (that is what I do) or not. I personally like the threaded eyepieces (dcl28, pentax XW, baader hyperion) to which I attach my CP 4500. Even if the camera does not have a thread there are adapters that will allow you to attach the camera to the eyepiece. In my experience, lower magnifications result in better images, but that is jus me. All digiscoped pictures in my gallery are taken using the same socpe you have.

Hi mmdnje,

Thanks for your response. Your winking woodpecker is really cool!

I haven't purchased a camera yet and was wondering what others would recommend. Based on what I've read so far, if I had to pick right now it would be a Fujifilm F30, but I might also consider a Sony W series, an Olympus SP-350, or even a Coolpix 8400 if I decide to splurge.

Ideally, I'd like to view through the scope without the camera in front of the eyepiece, then quickly attach or move the camera into position when I see something I want to shoot. The new swing-away adaptor that has been recently talked about in this forum looks interesting, but I was wondering if it
was safe to leave it and the camera attached to the eyepiece while carrying the scope/tripod over the shoulder. Here is the address to the thread discussing it:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70817

Thank you again for your advice,

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back