• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Thirst-quenching drawings

Sometimes it's just best to let Mr. Wootton speak for the group. He says it so well. Sort of like you didn't know you were all that thirsty, until you see drawings like these. As I've said before, like nature and light distilled right onto the page.

I think I'll now partially follow your example, neglecting the early rise part, and see what new has arrived here. Just about time for the first Kildeer.

where did the weekend go? Only had time to do these two yesterday, those distant garganey were a bugger to do and there are perhaps hundreds underneath this final layer!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 79
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 55
A spatially full painting. Your eye goes forward and backward, traveling through space to pick up on all the birds in their various locations. It is very rich and rewards a lot of looking.

what a bravura performance in composition here, and I'm so glad to hear even a master has trouble when doing a big group of birds.

Absolutely superb field work, Nick. I must check more of your stuff out. I love the divers in particular - very simple shading and shapes; no mucking around with too much detail, which I find difficult not to do! Something John Busby-ish about these: less is more. Your great cressie grebes are a joy, too. I've been trying to capture courting grebes since day one, and now is the time of year to try again, watch my space.

Russ

Really, thirst quenching is the way to go, although, I have to say that I'm already drooling for the next bit of work you share with us (isn't that attractive?).
Tim, you are a genius with words.
Nick, when I grow up I want to have the dedication that you do with your work.

The grebes, garganey and laps are very C.F.Tunnicliffe.

Perfect, but dear old Charles would've been jealous.

Just looked at it.

Brilliant stuff.

Composition is incredible. Rule of 14ths?

Am wowed! Keep painting in French!

Fieldwork is superb, it goes without saying.

As for the lapwing, gargany, grebe pic; Each of the species if taken in isolation would make a terrific, stand alone painting. The combination of elements to make a whole is one of the reasons why I love your work so much. Genius.

Mike

just a quick visit to 'drop off' some paintings and sketches before I rush off to work - anybody getting a call off somebody doing a survey this evening, thinkl of me and be very nice to them! 8-P

Sketches, Red Kites building nest, Black Stork and Water Pipits are from Saturday - lovely day out indeed! Big invasion of lapwings going on (all from the car though so no sketches). Plus the nesting tiercel peregrine in the area, and a Great Spot woodpecker.

The Green woodie is from today, if you look closely on the one of him with his tail up - he's not laying an egg!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 42
and some paintings, Peregrines, then proof I need my hands chopped off, and a half hour painting of curlews and egrets (draw outlines onto cartridge paper for the egrets, brown for the curlews, slap them onto prepainted paper and then just neaten up the gaps and add a few details)

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 57
and some paintings, Peregrines, then proof I need my hands chopped off, and a half hour painting of curlews and egrets (draw outlines onto cartridge paper for the egrets, brown for the curlews, slap them onto prepainted paper and then just neaten up the gaps and add a few details)

them egrets and curlews- n'y touche pas! they are really fine

Love the egrets and curlews...and the sketches so effortless it makes one tempted to say "I could do that" until one tries it and make a total botch:-O and finds out what looks so easy is just the practiced hand of the complete master. Never never tire of seeing your work

them egrets and curlews- n'y touche pas! they are really fine

Agreed, je touche pas!

It was some sort of divine intervention that made me stop there, it felt right. But the tempation was to carry on more, but I would have completely destroyed the piece as there really was nothing more to do on it! (Apart from redo it in collage on another piece of paper with the addition of a hare)

Another appreciation of the curlews and egrets, especially the curlews. I also really like the first peregrine, with all the vegetation. And then the green woodpeckers are something else as well.

As usual a treat to peruse the entire bunch!

Love the egrets and curlews...and the sketches so effortless it makes one tempted to say "I could do that" until one tries it and make a total botch:-O and finds out what looks so easy is just the practiced hand of the complete master. Never never tire of seeing your work
Oh that's just soooo true!

Fantabulastically superificancimatedly exectuted. - wondrous, truly. . . .

Nick,

Been trying to work out why I like your stuff so much?

Then I had a Damascien (sp?) Revelation.

You have a talent for capturing light on a subject, and background.
You're work reminds me of Tunnicliffe, yet it remains YOU.

He is the bird-artist that you mostly remind me of. Yet I believe you do not ape him in any way.

Tunnicliffe was a great painter of birds within a landscape. Sometimes at the expense of the subject!

Illegally, I've had a painting of a hen Blackcap, by you, as a Wallpaper. (No! I do not fiscally profit by it!)

It is the bird's incidental compliment to the landscape that fascinates and delights me.

There is something in the composition which leaves me endlessly searching, but always delighted. The mystery of this intrigues me, and pleases. And she is done in, seeming, brush-strokes.

Love it!

The Egrets and Curlew are very fine, impressionistic almost. And light is captured wonderfully! The blue-tones as shadows on white.

C'est incroyable!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back