• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Scarce Emerald Damselfly site (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
RFI Scarce Emerald Damselfly site

We're driving between Bristol and Lowestoft next week. Can anyone suggest any sites where Scarce Emerald Damselflies occur, that would involve the minimum amount of detour. I think our most direct route would bypass their strongholds to the north and south.

Thanks for any ideas,

Larry

RFI Scarce Emerald Damselfly site

We're driving between Bristol and Lowestoft next week. Can anyone suggest any sites where Scarce Emerald Damselflies occur, that would involve the minimum amount of detour. I think our most direct route would bypass their strongholds to the north and south.

Thanks for any ideas,

Larry

Hi Larry
You could try Thompson Common in Norfolk which is 4 miles SE of Watton on the A1075 (Grid Ref 940967). I found them there a couple of weeks ago just inside by the car park at the start of the trail.

Sue

Thanks Sue, that doesn't look too far off our route. Could you give us some directions from the A1075 ? Also, does Common ED occur there too ?

Thanks Sue, that doesn't look too far off our route. Could you give us some directions from the A1075 ? Also, does Common ED occur there too ?

The car park is on the A1075 (map ref is TL940967 - map here) and marked as "Pongo trail". It's on the left as you head towards Watton, just after a sharp bend and off a layby so keep an eye out, it's confusing (I always have to turn round and head back having missed it)
Cmmon emeralds here as well, as well as loads of other dragons. This page has more info.

Thanks Sue and HD. What a great site, with both Emerald Damsels present as well as big numbers of Ruddy Darter and a few Southern Hawkers.

I found the damselflies confusing at first, and I lacked confidence in their "secondary" differences until I got my eye in ! The brighter blue eye colour, for example, varied according to angle and brightness of the light. I eventually got conclusive looks at both species very closely by sneaking up on them and looking at their anal appendages magnified through the wrong end of my bins.

I think it's called the 'Pingo Trail', although it's several years since I've been there. I remember it being easier to ID the damsels in the early evening because they were less active and you could get closer. This is certainly useful with this species and copping an eyeful of those anal appendages.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back