• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP - Info on Xmas scope please (1 Viewer)

Can anyone please help ??
I have been bought a scope for Xmas and would love to get some info on it.
It is a "VANGUARD SF-831T"
It is fitted with a 20 - 60 Zoom.
I have scoured the Web but can find little or no info on this scope - is it rebadged from anther make ??
I would like to know if it is possible to get wide angle fixed focus lenses for it and discover what kit I would need to connect it to a Coolpix 950 to achieve my dream of digiscoping ?
:stuck:
Thankyou in anticipation.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Nope, never heard of it either. There are a lot of scopes out there that are rebadged.....in fact most scopes (and binos) are all made by the same obscurely named company in the far-east, though to differing standards to suit price.
Have you tried putting your camera up to the current e.p. to guage vignetting and other problems? At 20x, I would've thought you would get some sort of joy from it.
Regards,
Andy

There are a couple of mentions of Vanguard binos on newsgroups but nothing on this scope. But I have an idea I might have seen them in Young's Cameras in Belvoir Street, Leicester, but if not I bet they'll tell you more. If the zoom is removable (screw or bayonet), you'll be able to get a fixed wide angle almost certainly - it might not be a "Vanguard" as that will just be a product badge. Wasn't there a contact phone number on the packaging or instructions?

Another good place is In Focus at Rutland Water - take the scope along the next time you're there, maybe? Always helpful.

goldilocks said:
I would like to know if it is possible to get wide angle fixed focus lenses for it?

Hi Bob,

First port of call would be stockists of Mirador, Opticron or Viking scopes; once you know which 'mainstream' fitting you have, you can shop around and ask for more specific advice.

Regards,

Andy.

Vanguard is a Far East-based company that makes inexpensive scopes that are re-badged and sold under several different names. Here in the States they're sold as the Winchester brand (as in Winchester firearms), GuardForce, or Coleman (as in the camping gear). A camera adapter can be found at this link:

http://vanguardusa.com/cart/results_details.cfm?product_ID=1228&Session_ID=350026293153807

The threads on the adapter appear to be between 40-42mm. As far as eyepieces go, unless it's a brand-new model that I'm not aware of, sorry but the eyepiece is fixed and not interchangeable. Also, if you try to use the scope for digiscoping you'll have a lot of chromatic abberation since the lenses aren't HD glass.

I purchased a Winchester WT-8 model (80mm, 20-60x) back in May 2003; now it's sitting in a local gun shop on consignment. It's a good starter scope for hunting or backyard birding, but if digiscoping is what you're after, you'll need to step up to a better scope. The best thing about the scope is that it comes as a kit, including a table-top tripod, field case, and a hardshell case (which I now use for my Zeiss scope).

If anybody's interested in a starter scope, BTW, mine is for sale with the tripod and field case for $150.00USD plus shipping.

Regards,

GR

GR Triever said:
Vanguard is a Far East-based company that makes inexpensive scopes that are re-badged and sold under several different names. Here in the States they're sold as the Winchester brand (as in Winchester firearms), GuardForce, or Coleman (as in the camping gear). A camera adapter can be found at this link:

http://vanguardusa.com/cart/results_details.cfm?product_ID=1228&Session_ID=350026293153807

The threads on the adapter appear to be between 40-42mm. As far as eyepieces go, unless it's a brand-new model that I'm not aware of, sorry but the eyepiece is fixed and not interchangeable. Also, if you try to use the scope for digiscoping you'll have a lot of chromatic abberation since the lenses aren't HD glass.

I purchased a Winchester WT-8 model (80mm, 20-60x) back in May 2003; now it's sitting in a local gun shop on consignment. It's a good starter scope for hunting or backyard birding, but if digiscoping is what you're after, you'll need to step up to a better scope. The best thing about the scope is that it comes as a kit, including a table-top tripod, field case, and a hardshell case (which I now use for my Zeiss scope).

If anybody's interested in a starter scope, BTW, mine is for sale with the tripod and field case for $150.00USD plus shipping.

Regards,

GR
Many thanks.
I suspected it was similar / same as the Winchester - tried the suggestion of putting a camera to the eyepiece and the chromatic abberation was gross - guess I'll start saving for another scope.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back