• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a camera (1 Viewer)

I have been trying to decide which camera to buy to use with my Opticron Imagic80 telescope fitted with a 32x eyepiece. I would prefer to use a slip-on sleeve type adapter such as the one made by LCE. From this forum it seems to me that I need a camera with a thread so that I can fit such an adapter.
Any suggestions how to find out which cameras have such a thread. It might be easier to use this approach to finding a suitable camera.

Tony Lewis said:
Any suggestions how to find out which cameras have such a thread. It might be easier to use this approach to finding a suitable camera.
You can attach external threaded adapters to eg. Sony W5/7, P200, Canon S80, Fuji F900. There are also third party manufacturers (http://www.bugeyedigital.com/) which make threaded adapters for several digital cameras.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Hi Tony,

I'm also looking for advice in this area.

There's an excellent thread on this forum here which, whilst making reference specifically to Swarovski products, would seem to answer your question. It's a long (and very interesting) post, but at the end it provides a list of cameras available at 1st December 2005 and states those which work directly with the Swarovski DCA adapter which is similar to the one you want to use, those which work with that adapter with a further thread adapter (and these are listed), and those which work only with the Swarovski DCB (and hence are not suitable for what you are looking for.)

This should help.

At the end of that thread I have posted asking for advice on any updates from the new range of very compact cameras (and there are no replies!) and for suggestions on which to prioritise.

There's also good advice on cameras if you're persistent with the navigation to be found at www.digiscoped.com

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back