• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lots of Oriental Reed Warblers (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I took a walk down the Matsukura-gawa, a river on the far edge of my local patch. Maybe a 1 km walk in all.....

Anyway there were absolutely LOADS of Oriental Reed Warblers (very similar to the Great Reed Warbler of Europe). Just on that short stretch there must have been at least 20 singing birds-in the scrub/reeds/trees-everywhere. And they were noisy too-like drunk amphetamine crazed frogs. They drowned out a lot of other singing birds (I was looking for Black Browed Reed Warbler for my local patch year list). 2 Common Cuckoos (Kako in Japanese) were singing-I guess some of those Oriental Reed Warbler nests will have big unwelcome guests soon.

I eventually got a Black Browed Reed warbler by sight rather than sound and another year tick-the humble Ring Necked Pheasant. There were also Stonechat, Grey Headed Bunting, a pair of Little Ringed Plover, lots of Barn Swallow and (Asian?) House Martin, Bull Headed Shrikes feeding their young with huge hairy catapillars, Oriental Turtle Dove, Black Backed Wagtail-ie the usual common summer stuff away from the coast/forest where I usually go birding.

A female Peregrine flew over the house and into the sunset as I was relaxing with a beer on the balcony at the end of the day.......

Hi Charles-sounds like Ukishima is a pretty good place. No Japanese Marsh Warblers/Reed Buntings up here! There are OGRs on the tiny river next to my appartment too-have you ever heard a noisier song?

I lived next to Ibaraki-ken (in a godforsaken hole called Iwaki) when I first came to Japan but I never got down to any of those places..........

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back