• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

My previous thread, "A rank beginner in New York," has been closed because of lack of posts. I am alive and well but circumstances have prevented me from visiting Central Park and other local spots.

However, I am still bird watching, from my flat's window. I live fewer than 200 metres from Broadway and not far far from the Hudson River. I also look out at a rather large private garden. Feeding birds is strictly forbidden by the management, so all my sightings are of birds who arrive of their own accord without inducements.

This morning I saw a gray catbird and a white throated sparrow. Recently, last week, I spotted a hermit thrush and quite likely a wood thrush. I also saw a northern flicker on the ground, outside. The northern flicker frequently forages on the ground, which confused me, when I first saw one. Without the help of another bird watcher, I would not have realised that it was woodpecker.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Pinewood,

So sorry that circumstances are keeping you away from Central Park.
The early migration has been spectacular, over 20 warbler species thus far, 8 or so sparrow species, plus the usual orioles and tanagers. The influx before the leaves are fully out has made it much easier to spot and follow the birds.
Your fellow NYC Central Park birders are rooting for your speedy return.

Good to hear from you again Arthur. Thanks for sharing your views. I know you love Central Park, and hope you'll be able to get back there soon.

I'm jealous of the wood and hermit thrush spottings! They have eluded me so far. Hope you can get to Central Park soon, the only thing better than the birds in Central Park are the other helpful birders. :)

Hello Jamerbean,

The wood thrush, if I did see one, is hard to come by, even in Central Park. My best birds from my window were an American woodcock and a probable common redpoll. Patience and persistence bring many rewards.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

It is amazing what can be seen in Manhattan. I once saw a Woodcock in Soho. Hermit thrush I've seen in my Westchester yard 3x in 10 years--obviously more frequently in the preserves. Wood thrush never, but I always see and hear them in the spring and summer in deeper woods. Every year I cherish these birds. Go get 'em Arthur... For winter habitat preservation think about Birds and Beans coffee, too, if that's your pleasure. Warblers are coming through in bigger numbers this week. That always makes me happy. I fear that one season some will just not be there...
David

Hello Jacquot,

Your encouragement, and the encouragement of others, got me to Central Park, yesterday, for a few minutes. Time enough to see a yellow rumped warbler, a common yellowthroat and an American redstart, all sighted just north of Strawberry Fields.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Hello all,

I am looking out the window, about thirty minutes after dawn, with nothing in sight.

Once again, I managed a few minutes in the Park but I sighted just one warbler, a Canada warbler, which I think may be a life bird. It was seen by another watcher, shortly before I arrived.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Good to hear Arthur, Canada Warbler is a good bird, too! I hope you can get out more. I've been seeing warblers coming through in the neighborhood, but haven't been able to get to the hot spots yet, maybe a little while this weekend. I'm really glad you got there.
David

Last edited:
Let's see...................................................................................

pizza, pizza, and more pizza. i'm from new jersey. been living out here in this land of broccoli and mexican food for decades. pizza! more pizza! have more pizza!

Hello Dave,

Another thrush visited me, today. By the orange cast on the head, I am going to claim a definite wood thrush.

Happy bird watching,

Chipmunk

Hello,

Not a bird, but the for the first time in Manhattan and only the second time in all of New York City, I spotted a chipmunk outside my window. This rodent is so unfamiliar that I thought it may have been a pest.

Still keeping in touch with nature in the city,

Last edited:
Hi Arthur,
Chipmunks are definitely on the upswing in NYC.
It may be due to the wet summer or global warming, but there have been more Chipmunks spotted in Central Park than in the prior 10 years combined.
Possibly they have just cracked the code for NYC survival, 'keep your head down and run fast', or maybe they have just gotten tough enough.
Am very glad one of the had the courtesy to come by and say 'Hi'.

Every winter, I manage to meet a northern mockingbird. Today, as in past years, it was on my street, up a tree. As I was walking home, I spotted it and named it to a child next to me. She answered, "Oh, yeah." Turned out that her parents are avid bird watchers.

I did get a chance to visit the Pool in Central Park, near West 100th Street,recently, where I found buffleheads. These are the smallest diving ducks, so they are rather active.

Happy bird watching,

Glad you were able to get over to Central Park, Arthur. It probably felt good to get back to your old "stomping grounds".

Hello Larry,

Actually, the Pool is 2 km north of my usual grounds. The Pool is more likely to have buffleheads than is the Lake, for some reason. In the summer, egrets and cormorants feed at the Pool.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello,

Cherry blossoms abound near my flat, so spring is in full swing, The American robins are frequent visitors, but this morning a mourning dove appeared, at my window. Mourning doves are rather infrequent urban visitors. On the other hand, northern cardinals have appeared quite often.

Happy bird watching,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back