• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinal gone crazy (1 Viewer)

baker

Just found this site while seeking help with a big problem. There is a male cardinal in my yard who keeps flying into the windows, all the windows on all four sides of the house all day long. As you can imagine this has gotten old. I know he is defending his territory but how can I get him to stop. There is a reflective coating on the windows so any solution will have to be from the outside of the house. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Baker

Hi, Baker! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

This is a common occurrence, especially during breeding season, where as you surmised the male is defending his territory against "that other bird" he sees in the window. There are several methods folks have used to discourage this behavior by cutting down on the window's reflectivity, such as putting decals or tape on the glass, or even hanging netting outside their windows until breeding season is over with. All of these methods also help deter birds from hitting the windows, resulting in injury or death.

You might want to do a search of the forums here. I know there are multiple threads that have dealt with this subject in the past. If I beat you to it, I'll post the URLs here.

Katy, Thanks for you response. I have tried the netting but he just uses that to grab onto and continues to hit the window with his beak. I have tried taping ribbon to the window thinking he wouldn't like the movement but he sits next to it and hits the window. He is most persistant.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back