• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth I.D. (1 Viewer)

John D

Help needed again, with another I.D. and thanks once again for previous I.D.s

JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCN0075.JPG
    DSCN0075.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 120
John,
Have a look at Water Carpet, Phoenix and Small Phoenix in your guides, if you still have the specimen it might help you. I'm not going to be more specific, I've had my shins kicked already today in another thread,

Harry Eales.

I'd agree with Spruce Carpet. A lot of the scales on left side are worn, but enough on right to see. I had quite a few spruce carpets today.

CJW said:
So you're all certain it's not a Grey Pine Carpet then?

Have to chuckle, I agree its very valid point! I had about 20 of each this morning, or should I say 40 with some definite Spruce and some Definite Grey Pine. There is certainly an area between where its likely I make incorrect ID. Its more obvious when you have both side by side. If/when I get into dissection then I can look at this more closely, but its safe to say that I have both in numbers.

Back to moth in question, and now 'that my eye is in' if this is in my trap, it'd go down as Spruce. I spent quite a while deciding on my first 'Spruce carpet of season.

Also I'm only speaking of my own experience of these 2 species in my locality.

And to answer Chris's question, No I'm not certain:)

Hi Angus, sorry it's me being an awkward git!
I agree that this is a Spruce Carpet, but I also think that we should discuss (as on the bird forums) the relevant features which we use to confirm a species' i.d. Otherwise we a are less likely to learn anything from each other.
So for what it's worth (and with apologies to the abuse of John's photo):

1) At point 'A' in the photograph, this band is much wider across the entire wing (due to the general narrow width of the feature at point 'B') on Grey Pine Carpet
2) The depth of the mark at point'C' is very much 'shallower' on Grey Pine Carpet.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 110
CJW said:
Hi Angus, sorry it's me being an awkward git!
1) At point 'A' in the photograph, this band is much wider across the entire wing (due to the general narrow width of the feature at point 'B') on Grey Pine Carpet
2) The depth of the mark at point'C' is very much 'shallower' on Grey Pine Carpet.

Hope this helps.

Well I did take you up wrong, but I may be more sure whether my first one next year is Spruce or not. Skinner and Waring don't explain it that well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back