• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with more I.D.s (1 Viewer)

John D

Can anyone help with some more I.D.s, sorry about the quality of some of the photos.
JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF0109.JPG
    DSCF0109.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0114.JPG
    DSCF0114.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hi John, without looking in my books:
1) Foxglove Pug
2) Acleris sp
3) Double-striped Pug
4) Hmm, I'll get back to you, if no-one does it before this afternoon.

John D said:
Can anyone help with some more I.D.s, sorry about the quality of some of the photos.
JOHN D

Hello John D,
I agree with CJW over the two 'Pugs'. The Tortrix could be Acleris variegana but that usually flies July to September. When did you catch these specimens? The last species has me stumped at present, it could be a worn dark form of the Purple Clay Diarsia brunnea pity the pic is out of focus.

Harry Eales.

Last edited:
Thanks for the I.D's. Harry, the moths(pics 2,3+4) were caught last night in my garden. The Foxglove Pug was trapped in Wales last week.
JOHN D

John D said:
Thanks for the I.D's. Harry, the moths(pics 2,3+4) were caught last night in my garden. The Foxglove Pug was trapped in Wales last week.
JOHN D
Me again John D.
If specimen no 4 was caught last night it is very unlikely to be a Purple Clay. That usually flies late June onwards. So I'm stuck at the moment unless you catch another one and get a better photograph. Maybe CJW can come up with something.

Harry Eales.

I'm disagreeing with Chris and Harry(sorry) over the first one. I think its another Double-striped. It is earlyish for Foxglove, though I'm not saying too early.
However, I DO struggle on pugs myself and am relatively inexperienced.

I've no idea on no.4 and can't add further on no.2

Angus T said:
I'm disagreeing with Chris and Harry(sorry) over the first one. I think its another Double-striped. It is earlyish for Foxglove, though I'm not saying too early.
However, I DO struggle on pugs myself and am relatively inexperienced.

I've no idea on no.4 and can't add further on no.2

Morning Angus,
Not all moth's read the Textbooks. lol. I have just emptied my moth trap and to my surprise I had one specimen of the Map Winged Swift present. This usually flies from late May up here, so this one is at least a month outside of it's usual flight period. Also present was a Water Carpet (ab piceata) again at least two weeks early for this locality.

It's a pity John D's pictures were slightly out of focus (No offence John D) but this doesn't help in identification, especially of 'Pugs' many of which are notoriously difficult to identify. I think every County Recorder gets lists from their recorders annually, with lots of species noted, but with the rider 'Pugs miscellaneous' appended.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back