• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ISRAEL 22 Dec 2014 - 5 Jan 2015 (1 Viewer)

FXM

Frank Moffatt
21 Dec.
Headed to Premier Inn South, Manchester for the night. Pole position for flight tomorrow.

22 Dec.
Departed (Easyjet) around 1030ish, approx 30 mins late but strong tail wind got us in on time, Tel Aviv 1700hrs. Spanking new plane. Pleasant flight. Good value.

Pretty quickly through controls and security and luggage collected swiftly. Budget Car Hire was busy unfortunately and finally got away south on route 40 1830hrs. Took two hours to drive south to the NW Negev in torrential rain. The idea is to bird the plains around Urim tomorrow but the chances seem remote right now. The tracks don’t take the water too well so the chances of getting stuck are high.

To the bar at Gvulot and then to bed.

23 Dec. Just a few highlights.
Opened the chalet door and the first thing I heard was a Hume’s Warbler calling about 100m towards reception. Straight across and there it was. Sure was vocal and therefore easy to get on. Israeli birder, guide and good bloke, Eran Banker found it about a fortnight back. All the folks at the Kibbutz were really keen to know what I’d seen and to let me know where the Long-eared Owls were roosting. Also found a lazy Barn Owl.

Nice breakfast at the kibbutz and then off north to the plains near Urim. Amazingly I could get on the main tracks just fine but I didn’t risk the smaller ones. At least 2 Eastern Imperial Eagles, Peregrine, Marsh Harrier, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Long-legged Buzzard, lots of Black Kites and a distant falcon that may well have been the Saker that’s wintering. Couldn’t risk it for the latter unfortunately.

Skylarks and White Wagtails everywhere and among a flock of c.200 Lapwings were the 10 Sociable Plovers I’d really wanted to see. This is a well known wintering area for them. Nice group of bugling Common Cranes added even more atmosphere.

Began heading south towards the Arava. Stopped off near Ramon Prison and birded some orchards and found good numbers of Chiffchaffs: as usual out here in winter there was a lot of peeping or tewing and several typical UK type chiff calls.

Further south I had what appeared to be a Golden Eagle overhead but by the time I stopped the car it had gone. Maybe?

Final stop at the Meishar: several Desert Wheatears and a 1st winter Mourning. I’d also seen male White-crowned Black and male Hooded on the journey. Checked into Lotan and had a nice evening meal. Cheers for now.

24 Dec.
– highlights

Up and away to km20 pools. Almost the nearest bird to me was the long-staying LESSER FLAMINGO. An I srael ‘tick’. Very nice it was. Ruff, Dunlin, Little Stint, Redshank, Marsh Sandpiper, Black-winged Stilt, Caspian Tern, Pintail, Shoveler, Shelduck and Greater Flamingo (of course) all around in numbers.

Bite to eat then up onto the Ovda Road. Wheatears: Isabelline, Desert, White-crowned Black, Mourning and Hooded; Desert Lark; Scrub Warbler; Common Stonechat, Corn Bunting, Spanish Sparrow. Couldn’t find the Temminck’s Horned or Bar-tailed Desert Larks.

Lunch then to Yotvata South Circular Field.
ORIENTAL SKYLARK: 2-3 very flighty but calling regularly so easy to pick up. Not easy at all to photograph on the deck, however.
Lots of White Wagtails, several Red-throated Pipits, a few Corn Buntings, ringtail Hen Harrier. Palestine Sunbird, Sardinian Warbler and Bluethroat on the fringes. Lots of birds actually.

Tried a wadi just up from the Ketura junction: White-crowned Black and Hooded Wheatear, Black Redstart, Blackstart, Sand Partridge.

Met up with Itai after dusk to try the fields at Yotvata for Nightjars but no joy of any sort.

A good day. Weather and day time temperatures very nice thank you.

Cheers for now.

25 Dec AM: Ovda Valley
Found the Bar-tailed Desert Larks. At least three but quite likely a few more. Also Trumpeter Finches, Bluethroats, Tawny Pipit, a superb male Hen Harrier, several Stonechats and a similar mix of wheatears to yesterday. Still didn’t find the (easy) Temminck’s Horned Larks!!

Checked out of Lotan around 1030ish. Little Green Bee-eaters were nice. Tried km76 but not much happening so continued north on route 90 towards Kfar Ruppin and the Beit Shean Valley.

Tried Wadi Mishmar: Spectacular place but no Sinai Rosefinch or Striolated Bunting. Connected, however, with Cyprus, Spectacled and Sardinian Warbler, Hen Harrier, Fan-tailed Raven and then flushed a magnificent Eagle Owl. Wow. Surprised it could take off it was that big.

Then it was on to Beit Shean for a bite to eat and then on to the Kibbutz at Kfar Ruppin. David was on hand to welcome me. Good to be back. I’m in room No.1 and Jande Nordblad is in room No.2.
Better start making plans for tomorrow.

Cheers for now.

Looking forward to reading this over coming days, need to make a winter trip one year. Alas I wont be back this coming spring as will be sampling American Wood Warblers in April.

Hope you have a grand trip.

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry but not been able to get on line for any length of time but hopefully I can begin catching up now. Yes you should definitely try a winter trip Steve. Great fun. No hassle at all Mayo. Hi Adam, Yed Eran has been giving it a go.

Nore to come from tomorrow.

Cheers. Frank

26 Dec: Kfar Ruppin

Good to be back. Place packed with birds. Teamed up with good friend Barak Granit for the afternoon.

Weather very very nice. Sunny 19C no wind.
Selected highlights:
Greater Spotted Eagle 6
ad Bonelli's Eagle (BG)
Little Swift 5
Hen Harrier 4
Marsh harrier - several
C. Buzzard 1
Long-legged Buzzard 1
C. Kestrel
E Sparrowhawk 1
Opreys everywhere you look.

Late call from Amir Ben Dov: Black-shouldered Kite near the ringing station. Superb.

Other species included:
White Pelican
Black and White Stork
Pygmy Cormorant
Purple Heron
Good selection of common waders
Moustached Warbler
Clamorous Redd Warbler
Penduline Tit
Dead Sea Sparrow
Glossy Ibis
Pallas's Gull
Armenian Gull
Citrine Wagtail 4+
Eastern Stonechat (variegata) 2-3
Red-throated Pipit
Water Pipit
Bluethroat
Smyrna, Pied, Common Kingfisher
Desert Finch
Syrian Woodpecker

Loads more I could have mentioned.

Cheers for now.

27 Dec Twitching day

Weather excellent: clear skies and sunshine with virtually no wind 18C

Straight down to Mr Gilboa himself: good buddie Tuvia Khan. Off to Wadi Zviya to look for KURDISH WHEATEAR that's wintering there. Found it after about ten minutes but at the very top of the Wadi. A climb was required. Relocated it after 30 mins but still a little distant. Israel Tick. Thanks Tuvia and finder David Kotter.

Also in the wadi: Long-billed Pipit, Sardinian Warbler, Kestrel, Chukar, Chiffchaff, P. Sunbird Blue-rock Thrush and Black Redstart among other bits and bobs.

On to Kfar Baruch reservoir for the LESSER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE. Arranged to meet the Team from Eilat there led by Itai Shanni. Also met Sharchar Shalev and Shay Kerbasa who kindly opened the gate for us. And there it was. Another Israel tick. It was still associating with the two Greater White-fronts. Also Marbled Duck and White-headed Duck and a nice group of Greater Flamingo.

Headed back to the Harod Valley.Selected highlights:
GSEagle
Black Kite
C. Buzzrad
Pallas's Gull
Peduline Tit
Moustached Warbler
Clamour Reed Warbler
Savi's Warbler
Cetti's Warbler
Black Stork
Citrine Wagtail

A great day.

Last edited:
28 Dec: Kfar Ruppin

Superb weather again. Sunny 19C. No wind.

Hardly covered any ground today deciding to concentrate on the nearby habitats and in particular the areas very close to the Kibbutz entrance. Paid dividends.

Citrine Wagtails on the fishponds.

Just outside the gates:
ISABELLINE SHRIKE
GREATER BITTERN
SOCIABLE PLOVER

I'd been trying to find a Bittern for some time and the circumstances surrounding this find are interesting. Ventured into the fields to check out the Richard's Pipit I'd just found. Noticed a freshly cut field full of Marsh Harriers, Ospreys, Black Kites, Lapwings and Spur-winged Plovers. Had to be worth a look. As I got closer I saw the Bittern feeding out in the open in the centre of the field. Would you believe it? Moved slowly towards it not wanting to flush it. It crouched low, bill pointing to the heavens. You could barley see it. Then as I got pretty close, too close in fact, it morphed into a crazed animal of some sort. Feathers all fluffed out, swaying from side to side and looking something like a cross between a Hyena and a Racoon Dog. Scary. Incredible performance. I retreated. It carried on feeding as if nothing had happened. An Israel 'tick' for me.

This is an amazing place in winter.

More to follow.

Dec 29: up north to the Golan

Dec 29: Headed north to the Golan and El Rom. Called at Gesher, Daliot Reservoir, Gamla and Alone Habashan on the way. Regular birds included Southern Grey Shrike, Black Redstart, Sardinian Warbler, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Serin, Corn Bunting, Great Tit, an odd Brambling or two and the occasional Blackbird and Robin.

The vultures were already very high when I arrived at the spectacular Gamla Reserve. Got nice views of several Griffon and distant views of Black. Didn’t persevere long enough to see if the Bonelli’s Eagles showed. Went looking for Radde’s Accentor. Couldn’t relocate it but all was not lost as my final stop was to be the orchards at El Rom where one had been seen recently so there was still a chance.

Next was the area close to Alone Habashan for Yellowhammer but I’m really hoping for a Pine Bunting if I’m really lucky. At least 20+ of the former up there and a completely washed out bunting that may well have been a Pine.

Last stop: El Rom orchards; Blueberry self picking area. At 1615hrs the RADDE'S ACCENTOR appeared from nowhere on the pile of dead branches at the NE corner. It showed really well but only briefly and then went missing for 30 minutes or so before reappearing in the gloom. Smart bird. Nice end to a glorious day in the Golan.

Weather was fantastic. Clear blue skies, no wind, temps up around 19C.

30 Dec: the Lower Galilee

Weather in the Golan similar to yesterday. Frosty start, however, with ice on the car windscreen.

Started with a look at Bental Reservoir. Very few ducks really: Tufted, Wigeon, Mallard all in small numbers. The adjacent ponds held c.25 Gadwall. Usual selection of Little, Great Egret, Grey Heron and the odd common wader.

Tried Alone Habashan again but not a single bunting this morning. Syrian Woodpecker, Chaffinches one or two Brambling. Packed with Corn Buntings in the fields.

Teamed up with Lior Kislev from mid morning and headed west to Wadi Ahmud in Lower Galilee. Almost 25 years since I’ve been there. Superb place. Had a really nice three hour walk but no sign of Wallcreeper or Bonell’s Eagle. Selected highlights: Long-legged Buzzard, E. Sparrowhawk, Long-billed Pipits – at least 4, single Rock Bunting, Chiffchaff, Sardinian Warbler - several, Blue Rock Thrush – 6+, lots of P. Sunbirds, Robin, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Serin, Wren, Black Redstart.

Then we checked out a nearby reservoir that held good numbers of duck: Tufted, Pochard, Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and a few common waders.

Then it was down to the shores of the Sea of Galilee and around the River Jordan fringes. Good numbers of Great Cormorants wintering, a couple of Black-necked Grebes, Pygmy Cormorant, Pallas’s Gull, Armenian Gull, Barn Swallow, Cetti’s Warbler, Greater Spotted Eagle, Marsh Harrier were allaround.

Lots of good birds and some fantastic places visited. Many thanks to Lior.

Hi Adam, Sent your regards to Eran. He sends them back. Fond memories of Thailand with you he said.

Dec 31: Day 10. The Golan. Mt. Heron, Alone Habashan, El Rom Orchards.

Temps have been falling to around -4 overnight up at El Rom so a bit of work to do on the car first thing. However, daytime temps have been up as high as 15C with little or no wind and clear blue skies. Beautiful.

Had to take advantage of the conditions so headed up to Mt. Hermon first thing. Place to myself virtually. It’s not always like that up here. After a snowfall the place transform into a Middle Eastern Austria. Yes they ski in the Hermon.

More Yellowhammers – perhaps 3-4. A strange looking bird that reminded me of Brandt’s Mountain Finch … not suggesting it was one just that it looked like that sort of thing. Couldn’t relocate it unfortunately. Several Western Rock Nuthatches on show and calling regularly. Serins, Chaffinches, Blackbirds, Robins, Corn Buntings, Rock Bunting, E. Sparrowhawk, Wren and Black Redstart all put in appearances - unsurprisingly.

Stopped for a quick look at Mas'ade Reservoir and the orchards nearby but only Wigeon, Teal, G. Cormorant, Black Redstart and a few common waders on show.

On to the ridge above Alone Habashan. Several Hawfinches – the Golan is jumping with them this winter, Yellowhammers c.12, Blackbirds, Robins, Chiffchaffs, Corn Buntings, Jays, Black Redstarts, Goldfinches, Syrian Woodpeckers, E. Sparrowhawk but still no Pine Bunting. Plus a Golan Golden Jackal. Met Eran Banker and friend up there and Yochai.

We all teamed up again at El Rom’s Blueberry Orchard for the Radde’s Accentor which put in a late, late appearance once again. Up to 4 Mistle Thrushes around and several Fieldfare. Star of the show was without doubt the Tristram's Jird that performed under the watchful eyes of the accentor.

A male and female Finsch’s Wheatear were on the rock tops opposite the Valley of Tears.

The search for Pine Bunting is a tough one but it didn’t stop me having a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Cheers for now.

Jan 1 2015: Day 11: Alone Habashan, Kfar Ruppin and Neve Etan

Left El Rom in glorious sunshine, in shirt sleeves and no sign of any frost, after a great few days. My move might be well timed as there’s a BIG storm on the way and up there that usually means the potential for lots of snow.

Tried once more for Pine Bunting at Alone Habashan but only a few Yellowhammers on show. Met Yochai up there again and he’d visited the El Rom Blueberry Orchard first light and informed me there are actually TWO RADDE’S ACCENTORS up there!!

Met Barak at Kfar Ruppin and birded there for most of the afternoon. Finished off at Neve Etan until dark. Loads of birds as usual including (just a very few highlights):
Greater Spotted Eagle
Marsh Harrier 30+
Black Kite – hundreds at least
Long-legged Buzzard
Hen Harrier
Pygmy Cormorant c.600+ to roost
Isabelline Shrike – still at KR
Pallas’s Gull - several
Peregrine - single
Black-shouldered Kite - single still around.

More tomorrow.

2 Jan: Day 12: Tirat Tsvi, Reservoir and Kfar Ruppin

Spent a very enjoyable day with Tuvia. We gave it our best shot and saw plenty of great birds, including the Isabelline Shrike at Kfar Ruppin and the Sociable Plover at the Reservoir a little west of the Ma’oz Hayim junction on the 71 (just up from the Jordan crossing) but we couldn’t find anything ‘new’ so to speak.

The weather was not that pleasant with grey overcast skies, just a hint of rain and a cool to cold wind from the south or south west. The sun broke through briefly just before dusk. Fleece required all day.

Other selected highlights include:
Little Stint c.500
Temminck’s Stint 5
Lapwing c.400
Golden Plover 6
Spur-winged Plover c.450
Dunlin c.25
Marsh Sandpiper c.30
Redshank c.45
Kentish Plover c.20
Greenshank - single
Ringed Plover - present
Black-winged Stilt – present
Common Snipe - present
Greater Spotted Eagle 3
Dead Sea Sparrow – two small groups
Bluethroat – heard and seen at many locations
Purple Heron – at least 2
Blackcap – single
Cetti’s Warbler – common
Starling – thousands noted heading to roost near dusk.
Black Kite – hundreds, maybe thousands, heading to roost near dusk.
Water Pipit – several hundred noted around the partially drained reservoirs.
Citrine Wagtail – at least 6.

More tomorrow.

Cheers. Frank

I'm looking for a way to escape Christmas next year. I may have found it! At the risk of sounding nosy, how much were the flights?

Last edited:
3 Jan: Day 13: Nasholim, Eastern Mediterranean Coast and Yizre’el Valley

Me and Tuvia headed west to the coast despite the forecast of heavy showers. We got several of those plus plenty of thunder but still managed fours hours of steady birding in the picturesque surroundings of Nasholim on the Eastern Mediterranean coast. Between showers the sun shone and the wind dropped and it was very pleasant it has to be said.

Pallas’s, Yellow-legged, Caspian, Armenian, Slender-billed and Black-headed Gulls, Sandwich Terns, Great Cormorants and 2-3 distant skua sp. Ringed Plover and Turnstone on the shoreline and plenty of activity from Pied Kingfishers.

The adjacent scrub held Linnet, Greenfinch, Corn Bunting, Goldfinch, Meadow Pipit, Sardinian Warbler, Spanish and House Sparrow, Y-v Bulbul, Graceful Prinia, Cetti’s Warbler, Chiffchaff and Zitting Cisticola. And the fishponds held Citrine Wagtail, Teal, Shoveler, Pintail, Mallard, Greater Flamingo, Water Pipit and White Wagtail, C. Redshank, Greenshank, Marsh, Green, Wood and Common Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit, C. Snipe, Dunlin, Ruff and Little Stint, E. Kingfisher and Smyrna, Common Myna, Bluethroat, C. Stonechat, Barn Swallow, Hoopoe, Spur-winged Plover, Marsh harrier, Kestrel, Black Kite, C. Buzzard, Collared and Laughing Dove, Hooded Crow, Jay, Starling, Great Tit, P. Sunbird, Crested Lark, Cattle and Great White Egret, Grey heron, Moorhen, Coot, Water Rail and Little Grebe.

Of particular interest was the group of at least 5 Richard’s Pipits located between the shore and the fishponds. This is a well known area for them in winter but it’s a good count apparently. Surely we’d have found more but for the rain?

From here we headed back to the fishponds in the Yizre’el Valley. The weather improved and we recorded decent numbers of Teal, Mallard, Ruff, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank, White Wagtail, Lapwing and Skylark. Other highlights included: Red-throated and Water Pipit, Common Crane, Purple Heron, Osprey, E. Sparrowhawk, Marsh Harrier, Temminck’s Stint, Ringed Plover, Wood, Green, Common and Marsh Sandpiper.

An excellent day.

More tomorrow.

Cheers. Frank

4 Jan: Day 14: Harod Valley Fishponds

Myself and Tuvia visited to some very productive fishponds in the east of the Valley. Rained all night and early showers meant a delayed start of 0800hrs but we still managed several hours of excellent birding.

Selected Highlights:
Pallas’s Gulls c.80
Greater Spotted Eagle 3
Peregrine – single

Good mix of waders: LRP and Ringed Plover, Kentish, Marsh, Green, Common and Wood Sand, Little and Temminck’s Stint, Dunlin, Ruff, Redshank and Spotted Redshank, Citrine Wagtail, Black Stork, Glossy Ibis and plenty more. Clamorous Reed, Savi’s and Cetti’s Warbler in the vegetated fringes.

Ventured up into the Gilboa and had distant views of 2 Finsch’s Wheatears and a Long-billed Pipit.

The tracks around the ponds were a mess so got the car cleaned up in Beit Shean then wound down with a wander around the En Harod to dusk.

Great last day.

Cheers.

Frank

5 Jan: Day 14 TICK No. 5 Grey Phalarope

Due to depart Tel Aviv 1800 so plenty of time to visit Timorim for the long-staying Grey Phalarope which would be my 5th Israel 'tick' of the trip. Said goodbye to Tuvia and departed Ein Harod 0830. Despite overshooting the turn off I was still watching the bird before midday. Bumped into Eran at the ponds there. Great way to round off yet another great trip

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back