• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

A few birds to add to my 2015 Missouri Birds List. Observed around the Fountain Grove Conservation Area near Chillicothe, Missouri, yesterday:

78. Purple Finch
79. Northern Bobwhite
80. Greater Yellowlegs
81. Lesser Yellowlegs
82. Pectoral Sandpiper
83. American Woodcock
84. Eastern Phoebe
85. American Coot

Went into the mountains with Pasadena Audubon yesterday, and picked up 16 species for my 2015 list, mostly residents but also a few early migrants:

180. Mountain Quail (heard only)
181. Bell's Sparrow (my first time seeing the dark, coastal belli subspecies)
182. Hairy Woodpecker
183. Rufous-crowned Sparrow
184. Mountain Chickadee
185. Black-chinned Sparrow (the first ones to show up in L.A. County this year)
186. Bullock's Oriole (flyover male bird, early migrant)
187. Steller's Jay
188. Pygmy Nuthatch
189. Clark's Nutcracker
190. Golden Eagle (very high flying bird, nearly missed)
191. White-headed Woodpecker
192. Violet-green Swallow (early migrants)
193. Red-breasted Nuthatch
194. Brown Creeper
195. Golden-crowned Kinglet

So, yes, I'm now only 5 species shy of 200 for my year list; 3 months in and I'm already two-thirds of the way to my annual goal of 300+ species.

A trip to Southern Spain last week add 63 including 12 lifers:
83 Red Kite, 84 White Wagtail, both on way to airport in Köln. 85 Rose ringed Parakeet 86 Black Stork
87 Lesser Kestrel 88 Black Vulture 89 Spanish Sparrow 90 Yellow legged Gull 91 Crested Lark
92 Spotless Starling 93 Firecrest 94 Zitting Cisticola 95 Black Kite 96 Common Stonechat 97 Thekla Lark 98 Eurasian Hoopoe 99 Common Sandpiper 100 Sandwich Tern 101 Barn Swallow 102 Sardinian Warbler 103 Little Egret 104 Red billed Chough 105 Booted Eagle 106 Meadow Pipit 107 Common Chiffchaff 108 Blackcap 109 Garden Warbler 110 Corn Bunting 111 Kentish Plover 112 Grey Plover 113 Sanderling 114 Little Egret 115 Little Ringed Plover 116 Audouin's Gull 117 European Serin 118 Barbary Dove/African Collared Dove 119 Northern Gannet 120 Balearic Shearwater 121Short Toed Eagle 122 Egyptian Vulture 123 Eurasian Griffon Vulture 124 Short Toed Treecreeper 125 Dartford Warbler 126 Glossy Ibis 127 Red legged Partridge
128 Iberian Grey Shrike 129 Black Winged Stilt 130 Northern Shoveler 131 Greater Flamingo 132 Common House Martin 133 Eurasian Spoonbill 134 Common Snipe 135 Bluethroat 136 European Reed Warbler 137 Iberian Chiffchaff 138 Black Tailed Godwit 139 Subalpine Warbler 140 Wryneck 141 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker 142 Crag Martin 143 Black Crowned Night Heron 144 Black Redstart 145 Western Marsh Harrier.
All together 90 species in Spain. My main reason for going when we did was for the raptor vizmig, but with inclement weather and low visibilty we ended up seeing a few cities which my other half wanted to see and lunch up in Sierra Nevada watching skiers and snowboarders fall down the mountain!

Last edited:
Only one new bird since I got back from the Rio Grande:
178 Gray Catbird.

However, 1000+ Cedar Waxwings at the college where I work make good birdwatching.

Jeff

Will be seeing sandhill cranes today. But I do not keep year lists, only upkeep of NE list lifers. I did add Am Coot to that. A handful of global lifers are also in NE.

Found two early migrants today, so I'm up to 119 for the year.

118. Greater Yellowlegs
119. Osprey

And although not a new bird for the year, I saw my first Herring Gull in Preston County (number 209). They're common on the rivers at lower elevations in the winter, but are rare in the higher elevations of the state.

Dave

Tuesday, March 24

18) Ring-billed Gull
19) Herring Gull

Conditions: Well, warm enough to melt a bit of the ornamental lake in the park at least! Which explains why it finally has some gulls in it. Otherwise, clear, sunny, about +4º, and sidewalks completely clear (for a change)...

Tuesday, March 24
Conditions: Well, warm enough to melt a bit of the ornamental lake in the park at least! Which explains why it finally has some gulls in it. Otherwise, clear, sunny, about +4º, and sidewalks completely clear (for a change)...

I assume that's Waterloo, Ontario rather than Waterloo in London, England :)

I assume that's Waterloo, Ontario rather than Waterloo in London, England :)

There's a park? I've only heard of the famous railway terminus... anyway, safe to say that it's considerably warmer in that Waterloo (not to mention the original one) at the moment.

...and Ring-billed Gulls are not quite so numerous.

Thursday, March 26:

A banner day! Ran all the way up past the University of Waterloo campus, to get to Columbia Lake, in search of "winter" gulls. No luck with them, but much improvement on the raptor front.

20) American Robin
21) Red-tailed Hawk
22) American Tree Sparrow
23) Blue Jay
24) Rock Pigeon
25) Merlin

Conditions: Grey, damp, still only +3º, which is considerably cooler than it should be for the time of year. Lots of meltwater pooling on the sidewalks, made for some interesting leaping from sidewalk to road and back again.

It's been ages since I last got a chance to do some proper birding. Migrants from Europe are definitely returning here in Sweden now and it's only a matter of time before some Sub-Saharan migrants turn up around here too.

Several species were new for the Swedish year list, but I saw most of them back in the UK in January so just one addition today.

135. Common Crane

Some great birds today in LA and Kern counties, including a few migrants:

240. Phainopepla
241. Wilson's Warbler
242. Rufous Hummingbird
243. Rock Wren
244. Golden Eagle
245. Western Kingbird
246. Bullock's Oriole
247. White-faced Ibis
248. Cactus Wren
249. Yellow-headed Blackbird

Last edited:
Yesterday was wet and miserable, and I didn't see any of my target species for the day. Plus I missed a lesser-spotted woodpecker by about quarter of an hour. Not happy. But around sunset a cetti's warbler started singing right next to me, which partly redeemed the day and made 105 for the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back