• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Hello. Not a bird watcher, but have just spent a fortnight in PortoPetro where we observed a large owl on many nights. No photos sadly. It was white-ish underneath and seemed to have a wingspan larger than that described for the Scops. Is there any likely possibility other than a Scops?
Barn Owl would be my guess. They are quite common on the island. The other common(ish) owl there is Long-eared.
Martin

Montagu's harrier killed by peregrine

Today in the Tower of Albercuix, we have observed one of the scenes that have most impressed us in the 15 years that we got there up Formentor to follow the migration of raptors.

With our telescopes have located a beautiful orange young montagus harrier, which we have followed as it came toward us, closer and closer, when we were going to start to take pictures, the couple's local Peregrine Falcon that nest in those cliffs, has begun has attack him, after 7 or 8 attack the female, more stout than the montagus has caught it and killed it while they were falling vertically, to leave it deposited in a rock.

They have been hard moments of anguish, seeing as the montagus didnt get able to escape the falcons attack until he is dead.

We all know that nature is life and death, but scenes so leave you very badly.

It seems that the first Honey Buzzards are coming through. Let's hope it's a great spring for these wonderful raptors. I will be back next Sunday I will head straight for the central Plain in the hope of seeing some Red-footed Falcons. Hope to meet up with those coming to Mallorca soon. See you there, can't wait. Mike

Had fabulous day at Albufera yesterday with collared pratincole, night heron, spotted redshank, little stint, marbled duck. All photos are just back of camera shots. Moustached warbler heard and nightingales all over the place with bee-eaters flying over and little bittern fishing as well.
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_9803.jpg
    IMG_9803.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9801.jpg
    IMG_9801.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9790.jpg
    IMG_9790.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9791.jpg
    IMG_9791.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9796.jpg
    IMG_9796.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 39
It seems that the first Honey Buzzards are coming through. Let's hope it's a great spring for these wonderful raptors. I will be back next Sunday I will head straight for the central Plain in the hope of seeing some Red-footed Falcons. Hope to meet up with those coming to Mallorca soon. See you there, can't wait. Mike

may see you in the field Mike, be over on Saturday. RF falcons and Honeys will be a target, are these fairly regular

Great day up at Cuber reservoir with both vultures, red kites & booted eagles. Loads of spotted flycatchers and two obliging tawny pipits.
Quick trip on back roads around Albufereta tonight got Scops owl by call and barn owl by sight.

Attachments

• IMG_9826.jpg
    IMG_9826.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9820.JPG
    IMG_9820.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9828.JPG
    IMG_9828.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 42
Arrive Saturday 29th

Hi I've been following posts eagerly as I will be starting a weeks holiday from this Saturday. How easy are Eleonora's falcon to see other than Formentor? I won't have a car so how easy would cuber reservoir be by public transport? Many thanks in advance.
Debbie

Hi Debbie

Bus 354 (see https://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/354) leaves Can Picafort at 09:30, goes along the coast to Port de Pollença, which it leaves at 10:30 for Port de Soller. It stops at Cuber about 11:30, I think (their timetable doesn't say exactly).
Another one comes back 4-ish (again it doesn't say).
Much easier than driving, and battling the lycra hordes who pour up and down that road.

Have a lovely time.

Hi malkoa, great photos, thanks.
Honey Buzzards and Eleanora's Falcons typically arrive at the end of April and early May.
Honey Buzzard pass through, sometimes in good numbers. The best place to see them is the tower at Albercutx but they can also be seen going through the main Albufera reserve and the Boquer Valley. Every year is different so let's hope there are lots this year.
Eleanora's are a late breeder. They can initially be seen over the plains and marshes before going to the cliff tops to breed, Formentor being the best place. The approach road to the depuradora, Albufera is a good site especially the area on the right going down known as Son Bosc. I always see quite a few on the central plain too where they hunt for insects. I saw 14 together last year at Maria de la Salut.
Good luck and I hope we meet up, Mike

Eleanora's are a late breeder. They can initially be seen over the plains and marshes before going to the cliff tops to breed, Formentor being the best place. The approach road to the depuradora, Albufera is a good site especially the area on the right going down known as Son Bosc. I always see quite a few on the central plain too where they hunt for insects. I saw 14 together last year at Maria de la Salut.
Good luck and I hope we meet up, Mike

I agree with Mike about Son Bosc and the Depuradora. They are favourite spots where they feed on the large beetles (Polyphylla fullo - Pine Chafer) that emerge from the pines. Also, I once had 36 flying low over my head in a field on the Alcudia side of the Albufereta. They were feeding on emerging cicadas and beetles.
Martin

Wow

Today in the Tower of Albercuix, we have observed one of the scenes that have most impressed us in the 15 years that we got there up Formentor to follow the migration of raptors.

They have been hard moments of anguish, seeing as the montagus didnt get able to escape the falcons attack until he is dead.

We all know that nature is life and death, but scenes so leave you very badly.

Nature. Bloody in tooth and claw

Hi
Some sightings today. Roller (2) at Can Cuarassa early afternoon and a single again later, as well as c20 Bee-eater over and on wires. At the Depuradora, mid afternoon, Whiskered tern (2) and on the road in from the bus station a further Roller on the right by the blue skip. Also Turtle dove (4), Tawny pipit and c8 Bee-eater in various places there.
Graham

I forgot to say that Eleanora's Falcons seem to be most active in the late afternoon and early evening. I know Phil once counted 130 at Son Bosc which must be one of the largest totals ever.
Glad to know a few Rollers are coming through Graham, Can Curassa always seems to come up with the goods, it's a great site for this dazzling species. Mike

The number of birds on the island seems to be increasing these days, so good morning and good luck to everyone! :)

We saw the first Red-footed Falcons (Falco vespertinus) yesterday evening at el "Pla de Lanzell" (Vilafranca). A male and three females showed up.

We are coming over on Saturday for 4 days and would like to see RFF; further details on this site or any other suggestions for traditional localities for RFF would be much appreciated - thanks in advance Nick

Hi Nick. If you have transport, I would have thought that Maria de la Salut would be your best bet. It is also good for larks, pipits and cuckoos so hopefully it will be a good day if you visit. If you are only around the north then Can Curassa or Albufereta would probably be the most productive. It all depends on the year. Two years ago I saw 32 Red-footed Falcons together on the central plain but I didn't see a single one last year despite many visits. Good luck though, I just hope there will be more and that you will connect. Mike

Hi
Braved the rain late afternoon to check the lago at Albufereta. As well as the two regular Common terns, there were four Gull-billed terns hunkered down against the weather on some emergent rocks. Best of all though, a cracking Little tern looking tiny beside the Gull-billed. No sign of the Rollers at Can Cuarassa though - don't blame them!
Graham

Hi Nick. If you have transport, I would have thought that Maria de la Salut would be your best bet. It is also good for larks, pipits and cuckoos so hopefully it will be a good day if you visit. If you are only around the north then Can Curassa or Albufereta would probably be the most productive. It all depends on the year. Two years ago I saw 32 Red-footed Falcons together on the central plain but I didn't see a single one last year despite many visits. Good luck though, I just hope there will be more and that you will connect. Mike
Thanks for the speedy response Mike much appreciated. We will have a car and look forward to exploring as wide a range of habitats as our time allows - Nick

Hi all just wondering if anyone could advise me on the route of the 4000 strong cycle race which is kicking off at Playa Muro tomorrow morning.
I have heard that there will be major road closures in North Majorca and just trying to plan a route from the airport.

Thank you

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back