• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Just back from Parc Mondrago listening for Nightjars. Nothing yet but at least four calling Scop's owls. Interesting to note the difference between the male and female, they were "duetting". Seeing them is another matter though. They are often attracted to the street lamps behind our apartments, presumably hunting all the moths and insects which are attracted to the light. Nightingales were everywhere as usual and Stone curlews were very vocal. A nice way to end a day's birding. Mike
I Too tried for nightjar and scops at s albufera son bosc deck where ive had both in the past but nothing not a peep.

Lluc monastery a.m had black vulture, booted eagles, nightingales and 2 firecrests in the botanical garden. A walk round Cuber from 3.00 - 4.15 produced black vulture, booted eagle, red kite, raven and nightingales. Few passerines as we were too late and it was too warm. Some interesting calls but no sightings!!

Thanks for confirmation of the Lesser Kestrels Patrick, and for clarification of their status Mike. My question was prompted because I recall that on the Iberian peninsular LKs are back in colonies by mid-April. Maybe these birds are like the RFFs from further East? /Nick

03 May, 06.45-09.30. Showy Male Golden Oriole in fig trees on approach road to llenaire. Also several Grey headed wags and 1 looking Ashy Headed (no super, grey head and white throat), in sheep field.
Cracking ROLLER on wires to left of track behind C'an cuarassa, also 3 Spotless starling and Bee-eater.

Roller, wryneck Bee eaters, Golden Oriol over, pied flycatchers and Redstarts at house Boquer Valley. Plenty of willow warblers too. Memoras top of valley, booted eagle and peregrine, other birders had a smaller falcon. Edit forgot to mention prety sure i had long eared owl calling by building too.
Wheres all the honey buzzards at

Last edited:
Visit to Villafranca on Tuesday was rewarded with one female RFF,it was perched up in ploughed field ,we were very lucky to get onto the bird which sat motionless for about half an hour before joining three Kestrel up on the wires.
Were we looking in the right area,Ma5110 & Ma5111 circuit?
Albufera today produced Five Glossy Ibis,Collared Pratincole,Seven Marbled Duck,Peregrine Falcon,Curlew Sandpiper,Great White Egret amongst the usual birds.
Night Heron over middle bridge at 1030,also six Purple Heron in flight and one preening from Bishop 1 hide.
The Sa Roca hide and the path from there to the three bridges was closed for a couple of hours from 0900 to let the annual Giant Carp cull to take place.

Bob

Visit to Villafranca on Tuesday was rewarded with one female RFF,it was perched up in ploughed field ,we were very lucky to get onto the bird which sat motionless for about half an hour before joining three Kestrel up on the wires.
Were we looking in the right area,Ma5110 & Ma5111 circuit?
Albufera today produced Five Glossy Ibis,Collared Pratincole,Seven Marbled Duck,Peregrine Falcon,Curlew Sandpiper,Great White Egret amongst the usual birds.
Night Heron over middle bridge at 1030,also six Purple Heron in flight and one preening from Bishop 1 hide.
The Sa Roca hide and the path from there to the three bridges was closed for a couple of hours from 0900 to let the annual Giant Carp cull to take place.

Bob
Hi bob does post 713 help at all.

Hi Nick. Good question but I don't know enough about arrival dates on the peninsula, you are right that Lesser kestrels are holding territory in mid April there but they pass through here around now, I have no idea where they are from though. Perhaps someone from the mainland could help. I do know that both Lesser kestrel and Red-footed Falcons were seen here well into June a couple of years ago.
I remember seeing a huge flock of Common swift very early in the year during a big storm and someone from Spain said that they must be Pallid swift that early but they weren't. Interesting. I will try to find out more but any help would be appreciated. Mike

Vilafranca today did not produce any Lesser Kestrel, just one female RFF, a Marsh Harrier and three Common Kestrels. Maria del Salut had the same two female RFF at pretty much the exact same spot as yesterday, 39.6927, 3.0599
Then onto Son Bosc where I failed to see anything of significance until I went back to main road towards S'Amarador to find a beautiful Roller feeding on a harvested field not twenty metres from the main road. Traffic was intense but it did not seem to mind. It certainly made my day.

Attachments

• Roller.jpg
    Roller.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 62
Vilafranca today did not produce any Lesser Kestrel, just one female RFF, a Marsh Harrier and three Common Kestrels. Maria del Salut had the same two female RFF at pretty much the exact same spot as yesterday, 39.6927, 3.0599
Then onto Son Bosc where I failed to see anything of significance until I went back to main road towards S'Amarador to find a beautiful Roller feeding on a harvested field not twenty metres from the main road. Traffic was intense but it did not seem to mind. It certainly made my day.
Great shot

Very nice shot Patrick
Craig thanks,I did read your post with map ref but no sat nav or google maps I am afraid,I just went to the same place they had been reported at a few years ago.
Ian posh hotel is called The Llenaire Hotel,very nice with a great view from the rear terrace but well out of my price range I would have thought.
They don't mind you popping in for a drink though.
Roller still at Can Cuarassa at 2030 tonight but distant on wires to the left of main track.

Bob

Craig thanks,I did read your post with map ref but no sat nav or google maps I am afraid,I just went to the same place they had been reported at a few years ago.

Hi Bob
The best way for the falcons and harriers in Maria is a non paved path, between Maria and Santa Margalida.
In this section of the Majorca Birding Map you can see the path with the number 36 and pink color
Regards

Attachments

• Llanos de Maria.jpg
    Llanos de Maria.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Albufera today produced red-crested pochard, night heron, cattle egret, squacco heron, osprey, red knobbed coot, purple swamphen, stone curlew, collared pratincole, green sand, spotted red, great reed warbler and raven.

Also what we would have thought was a cormorant from deck 7 flying west. Not sure how common these are and would welcome comments/alternatives to what it might have been? It looked for all the world like a winter diver but that is even more unlikely!!

Also lesser kestrel in the lower Bocquer around 1745, circling up till I lost it. Also roller spent all day in the lower Bocquer, I saw the photo!

Albufera today produced red-crested pochard, night heron, cattle egret, squacco heron, osprey, red knobbed coot, purple swamphen, stone curlew, collared pratincole, green sand, spotted red, great reed warbler and raven.

Also what we would have thought was a cormorant from deck 7 flying west. Not sure how common these are and would welcome comments/alternatives to what it might have been? It looked for all the world like a winter diver but that is even more unlikely!!

Also lesser kestrel in the lower Bocquer around 1745, circling up till I lost it. Also roller spent all day in the lower Bocquer, I saw the photo!

Cormorant is correct, i can see it sat on a post from my hotel room daily.

Hi, we arrived on the the island yesterday, staying 5 nights.
Are there any particular spots at S'Albufera for Moustached Warbler?
Looks like there's a lot of reeds...
Thanks

Hi, we arrived on the the island yesterday, staying 5 nights.
Are there any particular spots at S'Albufera for Moustached Warbler?
Looks like there's a lot of reeds...
Thanks

Hi Karl,

two years ago we had Moustached Warbler singing at this point:

39°46'39.54"N
3° 7'46.50"E

Access is from the coastal road, not from the reserve. Coming from Alcudia on the road to Can Picafort, about 2.6 km after crossing the channel (and the entrance to S'Albufera reserve) there is a bumby earth road going to the right. As far as I remember there is a building and some sewage ponds close to the road where you can park your car. Then you walk.

Lot's of other good birds here, particularly at the dry plot where the earth road turns right.

Good luck!

Wolf

Last edited:
Many Thanks for info Josep I will give it a go later in the week
A quick look around Can Cuarassa first thing,Roller still same place as last night,fly over Purple Heron and Grasshopper Warbler only birds of note

Just Had a phone call from a friend who has had three Roller at Can Cuarassa this morning,showing on wires but distant ,seen from the path leading down to the ponds.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back