• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 8.5x42 ASPH or Celestron Regal LX? (1 Viewer)

loonsong

I am considering a slightly more expensive binocular than in my intial $300 budget to get into something with an aspheric lens. I am considering two models: Minox BD 8.5x42 BR ASPH or Celestron Regal LX 8x42. I can get a good price on both, but the Celestron is $100+ less than the Minox, and closer to my original budget amount. I was going to buy a Nikon Monarch 8x42 but is it worth spending more money ($100-200 more) to get the aspheric lens? Does anyone have either of these binoculars and can tell me what you think of the quality? The Regal and Minox are both 4 oz heavier than the Nikon as well, so that may make a difference in my wanting to carry them around all day. I also wear glasses, so eye relief is important. My other option is to get the lighter Minox 8x32 BR ASPH - less money, less weight, but shorter eye relief.

In the $315-360 range I can get the Minox 8x32 BR ASPH or the Celestron Regal LX 8x42. Does anyone like either of these and wear glasses?

Just as a warning, you are getting into the 25 oz weight here with Regals
http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-regal-ls-8x42-binocular.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-regal-ls-10x42-binocular.html

I would be OK with it, but the Monarchs, with probably cheaper body, are 22 oz. I thought you wanted even less weight.

Here is a 22 oz Minox
http://www.opticsplanet.net/minox-bd-8x32-br-alt-binoculars.html
looks like a fine piece, have never seen it. But Atomic Chicken, Bawko, said:
Of all my binoculars, the pair that has surprised me the most in terms of ruggedness is my Minox 8x32 that I keep in my day pack - I just can't seem to kill them no matter how careless I get! I wouldn't have suspected it... they seem to be built rather average, but they have taken quite a bit of abuse so far, with no signs of wear.

Last edited:
Tero said:
Just as a warning, you are getting into the 25 oz weight here with Regals I would be OK with it, but the Monarchs, with probably cheaper body, are 22 oz. I thought you wanted even less weight.

Yes, I know, but I am being drawn in by the promise of better quality vewing. ;-) Just how much better will I get with an aspheric lens? The Minox 8x32 ASPH was one of the models I considered, but the eye relief is only 15 and of course it will not be as bright as a 42, correct?

I guess for 25-26 oz then I should consider a better quality porro??

On paper, a 42 mm. objective will deliver 72% more light than a 32 mm. objective, an increase which most people would not appreciate. Put a 100 watt bulb in a lamp for a room, than turn on an additional 75 mm lamp, and see how much brighter it seems. Our perception of brightness seems to be on a log scale rather than a linear scale.

In daylight, when our pupils narrow to a couple of mm., the bigger objectives do not actually deliver more light to the retina.

Finally, a binocular with premium quality coatings and 32 mm. objectives may deliver almost as much light, and more contrast, than a mediocre 42 mm objective.

It may not be obvious but it is not a mystery.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back