• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some kind of Hawk? - Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Seen this morning at sunrise in eastern Ontario, Canada, I see so few birds of prey (other than ospreys) that I have no idea what kind this is and it only gave me a few seconds to get this less than ideal shot. Also I'm sure the sunrise light threw off the color, but is there enough detail in this for someone to ID it?

Attachments

• DSCN37075.jpg
    DSCN37075.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 107
It is a difficult photo because it is difficult seeing how dark the underwing really is. Any other pictures, especially showing the underwing, even if not perfectly sharp?

Niels

Am I alone in thinking that this is a very peculiar looking bird. The head and beak appear to be too large for the rest of the bird. Perhaps it is just the angle of the shot. Just thought i'd mention it. According to Sibley the likely candidates are Red-tailed, Swainson's, Broad-winged or Rough-legged. I can't see a resemblance to any of these.
Could it be an escapee?
cheers alan

The wing looks like Swainson's Hawk, with 4 four fingers, pale underwing coverts and dark remiges. The tail looks like an adult Red-tail, the head and body like a leucistic Red-tail or Krider's Red-tail. Weird.

Andy

The wing looks like Swainson's Hawk, with 4 four fingers, pale underwing coverts and dark remiges. The tail looks like an adult Red-tail, the head and body like a leucistic Red-tail or Krider's Red-tail. Weird.

Andy

With regards to the wings, I wondered if the contrast was a false impression due to shadow being strong in this early light. That was why I asked for additional photos.

Niels

Agree with Red-tailed Hawk, which is by far the most common buteo in the region at this time of year. Certainly look like patagial bars to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back