• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice in august (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

I'm planning travelling there this august.. depending on the Covid 19 situation in other countries as Colombia or Costa Rica. I know it is open and safe

Few questions:

- Is it easy to see the gyrfalcon, and also take "close" pictures of it?
- The same for harlequin or artic fox
- Any rocks to see breeding water birds?

In general, are birds around or is like a cold desert?

Is it expensive (hire a car, hotels, petrol....)

Thanks!!!

Iceland is arguably the best place in the world to see Gyr Falcon but it's generally not easy to see or to get close photographs. August is actually a good time to see it as the young are out and about and if you go to north-east Iceland in August you probably will see it and you might get good close views of it but not guaranteed at all. I saw 4 birds when I was in NE Iceland last August (not birding, just travelling with my kids).

Harlequin is generally easy to see in Iceland, except in August and September. In August the males have left their breeding grounds and are moulting in eclipse plumage at sea (where you can still see them). Females and young will still be on the rivers but if you want good photographic opportunities of male Harlequins then August is not a good time.

Arctic Fox is widespread but generally shy except for the Hornstrandir reserve in northwest Iceland, where they are tame and approachable. However, visiting this area takes a bit of planning and requires a boat trip and camping. There are no roads.

Do you mean seabird colonies? Again. August is a bit late for most seabird colonies and most species will have left in August, although there will still be Fulmars, Kittiwakes and Puffins in most colonies but Razorbill and Common and Brunnich's Guillemot will be absent in August.

No it is not a cold desert in August and there are plenty of birds around but not as much as in May/June when breeding birds are everywhere. Some inland areas will already be starting to get quiet and quite a lot of migrants will already have left.

Iceland is expensive, depending on exchange rates it is often the most expensive country in the world.

Iceland is arguably the best place in the world to see Gyr Falcon but it's generally not easy to see or to get close photographs. August is actually a good time to see it as the young are out and about and if you go to north-east Iceland in August you probably will see it and you might get good close views of it but not guaranteed at all. I saw 4 birds when I was in NE Iceland last August (not birding, just travelling with my kids).

Harlequin is generally easy to see in Iceland, except in August and September. In August the males have left their breeding grounds and are moulting in eclipse plumage at sea (where you can still see them). Females and young will still be on the rivers but if you want good photographic opportunities of male Harlequins then August is not a good time.

Arctic Fox is widespread but generally shy except for the Hornstrandir reserve in northwest Iceland, where they are tame and approachable. However, visiting this area takes a bit of planning and requires a boat trip and camping. There are no roads.

Do you mean seabird colonies? Again. August is a bit late for most seabird colonies and most species will have left in August, although there will still be Fulmars, Kittiwakes and Puffins in most colonies but Razorbill and Common and Brunnich's Guillemot will be absent in August.

No it is not a cold desert in August and there are plenty of birds around but not as much as in May/June when breeding birds are everywhere. Some inland areas will already be starting to get quiet and quite a lot of migrants will already have left.

Iceland is expensive, depending on exchange rates it is often the most expensive country in the world.

Many thanks. Very appreciated

Good afternoon Edward (and others!),

Thanks again for your reply, very useful for planning my trip!

Sorry for another message, but I wonder if you will be so kind to let me ask you only two questions more:

Do you know any reliable site for the white-tailed sea eagle?

And any point for a close look (for photography) of a colony of artic terns and puffins) (near ring road if possible). I read somewhere that at Vatnsnes peninsula there was a good one of the terns.

Many thanks,

(note that you have your private messages box full)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back