• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angle vs Straight (1 Viewer)

Felipe

I am going to purchase either a Swarovski ATS 80 HD or a STS 80 HD.

Having never used a scope before I would like to hear from anyone who has tried both a straighe or an angle scope to give me ther reason why they prefer one over the other.

I would also like to use this scope to take photos with my Nikon D200 DSLR camera and any advise in this area would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Philip

I know a lot of people prefer straight but I go with angled. With a straight scope, you either need to be sitting down to get your eye comfortably to the scope, or you need a very tall tripod so you can stand behind it. Or you need to crouch/bend down in a very uncomfortable manner!

With the angled scope you can stand and look down into the eyepiece for hours without getting neck/backache. Same goes for using the camera, the angled scope is , I believe, far more comfortable to look down at the screen.

Agree with Bartolli..angled is best for photography.
However, if you've never used an angled scope before you might encounter problems locating subjects. Birds can be tricky locate at times through a scope, especially angled scopes. Not everyone has these problems, some get used to angled very quickly and locate subjects with ease, others struggle. I have used both and overall, prefer straight, but I am not a photographer, I just want to get on the bird as quickly as possible!
Have you considered getting an angled Kowa? Cheaper than Swaro [don't think the Swaro 80mm is worth the extra money].
Am a fan of both 'makes' of optics but Swarovski is really going too far with their latest optic range...overpriced? Just a bit..

Angled or Straight

Hi Felipe,

It is partly personal preference, partly what type of scope you had before, and partly how tall you are.

My first scope was a straight scope, and I personally find it much more intuitive to find something with a straight scope than with an angled scope. However, I know that if somebody took my straight scope away and only let me use an angled scope I would probably get used to it after a while.

If you are small to medium height you won't have any problem finding a tall enough tripod for a straight scope that won't vibrate much in the wind. If you are tall and you want to use a straight scope then you will often need to use the centre column of the tripod at close to its highest, so vibration will be higher. You may therefore prefer an angled scope if you are tall because the centre column can be lower. Having said that I am 6 ft/1.8m tall and I have no problem with a carbon fibre tripod and a straight scope.

One often cited advantage of an angled scope is that it is much easier to share the view with others, which is much more difficult with a straight scope because you have to stand on tip toe or stoop. So if you regularly lead groups of bird watchers for example you may prefer an angled scope. My personal opinion is that I am buying a scope for me, not everybody else !

However, the most important advice I can give is the same as is regularly given on this forum - try both options for yourself and see which one you prefer before you buy it.

Mark

My only advice is to not take anyone's advice here, no matter how well informed and intended. You really have to use both yourself, preferably in the field birding. Going with an Audubon group or other birders with scopes may be useful for this.

I have both an angled and a straight scope. Both have their merits.
I will say that I believe many use a too short tripod for their large straight scopes. When looking "up" you'll need a lot of height to be comfortable.

One issue is how much you travel with it. You can get away with some compact tripods with angled. If straight, the tripod has to come to your eye level.

I use straight as it feels the same as a binocular to find the bird.

I think if you are set on using the Nikon D200 you should consider the Nikon 82ED fieldscope with the Nikon FSA-L1 camera adapter. This will allow you to shoot in Aperture Priority mode instead of full Manual. There are many advantages including full control over in-camera Exposure Compensation and Auto ISO adjustment making it easier to get and keep the faster shutter speeds you will need in low light conditions. Your pics will also be nicer right out of the camera with little post processing needed.

cheers,
Rick

I vote for Angled. Started off with straight scopes. Angled is better, IMHO. Won´t repeat the rationales more eloquently outlined above. At the very least, before you buy straight, take Kevin´s advice....don´t listen to us, go try them before you buy.:t:

I think if you are set on using the Nikon D200 you should consider the Nikon 82ED fieldscope with the Nikon FSA-L1 camera adapter. This will allow you to shoot in Aperture Priority mode instead of full Manual. There are many advantages including full control over in-camera Exposure Compensation and Auto ISO adjustment making it easier to get and keep the faster shutter speeds you will need in low light conditions. Your pics will also be nicer right out of the camera with little post processing needed.

cheers,
Rick

Rick,

Thank you for the reply.

The problems I see with the FSA-L1 is that you are limited to the scopes lowest power.

You also have to remove the eyepiece in order to use it.

I do not see this as beneficial

Philip

Thank you all for your replies.

I have decided on the straight scope for the following reasons:

1. I have a Gitzo G1325 tripod with a Markins Q-ball M20L head.
The combination is taller than I am.

2. Most important is that I have a bad back and bending over for any period of time is quite painful for me.

Thank you again,

Felipe

2. Most important is that I have a bad back and bending over for any period of time is quite painful for me.

Thank you again,

Felipe
A word of warning: I´ve had back problems too but I find the angled scope better for my back. You don´t bend your back, you merely incline your head forward. It takes the weight and strain off your spine, especially when standing for long periods, and you don´t have to stretch your neck up or down when you change the elevation of view, for example when watching flying birds, or when scanning up and down over a marsh. Maybe you should try both in a shop to see what I mean. Best of Luck!:t:

A word of warning: I´ve had back problems too but I find the angled scope better for my back. You don´t bend your back, you merely incline your head forward. It takes the weight and strain off your spine, especially when standing for long periods, and you don´t have to stretch your neck up or down when you change the elevation of view, for example when watching flying birds, or when scanning up and down over a marsh. Maybe you should try both in a shop to see what I mean. Best of Luck!:t:

Sancho,

Thank you for the reply, however here in Spain no one has anything in the shop, you have to order it, pay in advance and you own it.

Felipe

Sancho,

Thank you for the reply, however here in Spain no one has anything in the shop, you have to order it, pay in advance and you own it.

Felipe

If you are in Spain you will see a lot more raptors than here in the UK and angled is definately easier for raptor watching as otherwise you will be trying to climb around your tripod to keep the bird of prey in sight in the sky. Much easier to follow with an angled.

Having own both configurations, first straight and then angled, the only reason I regret the change is when I use it from a car. What's a virtue with a tripod is a sin with the window clamp. The head meet the roof where the straight were usable in a more comfortable position. But it depends on the car.

angled!

Philip

angled without question. I use mine a lot during the course of my work and couldn't manage with a straight eye-piece. Angled is more comfortable (subjective admittedly), easier to position so as to allow several people to view through (perhaps not relevant for you) and essential if you have to look up! I often have to scan cliff tops, etc. for wallcreeper and the like and a straight eye-piece would necessitate me having to either stoop down or get on the floor.

Anyway, hope you make the right choice for you...

All the best

Philip

angled without question. I use mine a lot during the course of my work and couldn't manage with a straight eye-piece. Angled is more comfortable (subjective admittedly), easier to position so as to allow several people to view through (perhaps not relevant for you) and essential if you have to look up! I often have to scan cliff tops, etc. for wallcreeper and the like and a straight eye-piece would necessitate me having to either stoop down or get on the floor.

Anyway, hope you make the right choice for you...

All the best
I second that explanation and couldn´t have put it better. Get the angled, be kind to your neck....your head needs it to sit on.;)

Angled or straight

This is an important questions and one that is a difficult question for others to give advice. When I purchased my scope most people advised me to get an angled scope - and their arguements seemed perfectly logical. However, it is the scope you are most comfortable using. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and they were great about putting both scopes on a tripod and let me play with them for some time. Although I saw the positives noted for the angles scope I felt most comfortable using the straight - and have always been happy I purchased the straight scope. It was similar in choosing the focusing ring, I choose the scope with system that I found most comfortable focusing.

I recommend you try out the scopes and choose based on your gut instincts in handling them.

I really don't think a few hours in a store would provide the situations needed to realize all the advantages you'll have with an angled scope. Using a window mount from an vehicle is fantastic with an angled swarovski as it rotates easily to allow a very comfortable viewing angle. And you can view ahead or behind the vehicle so you'll seldom have to reposition for a better look. After a few days in the field you'll be able to locate your birds just as fast as anyone with a straight scope and after extended viewing your neck will feel soooo good. The only reason to get a straight scope would be if you ever want to mount the scope on a rifle stock which some people do for certain situations. Good luck! Chuck

As regards neck strain with an angled scope, note that you can always raise the tripod a bit and twist the Swarovski eyepiece turret down 90 degrees, which turns it into a sort of straight scope.

In some situtations over tall grass, the straight scope wins. But there it helps also to be tall. I have two straight scopes, I have not regretted it. But if you travel with someone and share a scope, the angled is better, both can see. I have looked in lots of peoples angled scoped and seen birds that they found. If I do not get to my scope before the bird flies, at least I saw it once.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back