• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (5 Viewers)

What about using zip ties to attach the harness/steap, instead of metal rings?

They work surprisingly well. I've just set up someone's compact Leicas with a RYO and zip ties (as time was tight) for her trip to Brazil. If i hadn't had a pair of loops (left-overs from another project) i would have used them.

I'm curious, and there's probably no definitive answer on this (unless someone from Zeiss contributes), but what makes these "Made in Japan" when the Conquest HDs are "Made in Germany" although the consensus is that they are actually made in Japan.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't have definitive inside information on this but from various sources, some of which have posted on here, it is my belief that Conquest is built up, collimated and quality controlled in Germany from kits supplied from the manufacturer in Japan who makes them to a Zeiss design and specification. This is sufficient under European law to qualify as Made in Germany, whereas I believe the Victory Pockets are also a Zeiss design but that the full manufacturing process is undertaken by the supplier in Japan.

If anybody has different info I would welcome being corrected.

Lee

Not really a big deal, but both the Zeiss supplied ring loops and the Optic loops are longer than I would like for use with the RYO. I prefer having the harness attachment closer to the body of the binocular.

I use the RYULH with literally EVERYTHING. From the lightest, smallest to the heaviest of binoculars. This includes a Nikon M7 8X30 to a Zeiss HT 8X54. It's just an easy way to do things. I've prob got 10 complete harnesses and even more of the snaps...

BTW....I always use zip-ties now to attach the snaps. I can easily cut them off and move the snaps from binocular to binocular....

Last edited:
I don't have definitive inside information on this but from various sources, some of which have posted on here, it is my belief that Conquest is built up, collimated and quality controlled in Germany from kits supplied from the manufacturer in Japan who makes them to a Zeiss design and specification. This is sufficient under European law to qualify as Made in Germany, whereas I believe the Victory Pockets are also a Zeiss design but that the full manufacturing process is undertaken by the supplier in Japan.

If anybody has different info I would welcome being corrected.

Lee
Thanks for the clarification Lee. Sounds a little like the rules governing Swiss watches - so long as more than 50% of the watch parts (by value) are made in Switzerland, the watch can be badged as "Swiss Made". In many instances, the movement makes up the most value of a watch, and the hands, case and bracelet are outsourced. I have seen "Swiss Made" watches which when opened up show the inside of the caseback saying "Case made in China".

I'll guess with the Conquest HD, the chassis is made in Japan (and perhaps some of the optics?) and other lenses and assembly are done in Germany, maybe?

Last edited:
SECOND REPORT: OK, so for my first real time in the field using these binoculars, I wanted to put them through their paces. I decided to start hiking at 4PM EST, with 98%+ cloud cover and intermittent, light rain; my initial impressions were so favorable, I really wanted to see what I'd think after using these in probably the worst conditions given their design/intended function. Simply put, I'm still amazed by these dainty little binoculars.

For my 2HR hike, I would at times forget I even had the binoculars around my neck - despite the inconvenient strap, the weight is so minuscule that I didn't even notice them at times. Optically, no, these will probably not replace a full size, 42mm if you want to bird at dusk/dawn in poor light; THAT BEING SAID, I could easily identify birds and see high levels of detail even in these very poor conditions, and would consider these an adequate substitute for an 8x30-32mm binocular under maybe 95% of circumstances
. The overall sharpness of the view is just outstanding, very similar to the Victory T*FL I've owned in the past. Color wise, I'd say these are mostly neutral with a very subtle greenish-yellow cast, very similar in this regard to the Zeiss Victory SF I've briefly tried. CA and glare will be reported on after I use these in more appropriate conditions to see their deleterious effects.

These factors aside, the thing that continues to impress me is the overall ease of view or 'snap to target' quality of these binoculars; I've only found this particular quality in maybe 3 binoculars, the 8.5x42 SV, 8x42 SLC-HD, and Kowa Genesis. There is no fuss to the view, I just put them up to my eyes and have the target locked in. This for me is incredibly useful as I want to make sure to identify as many birds on my forays into the wilderness as I can, as I'm a heavy user of eBird. Witht hat said, my caveat would be that if you do not wear eyeglasses, I'd probably steer clear of these - the small eyecups want to fall into your eyesocket and may cause issues with blackouts, etc. This is probably the first bino I've ever owned that is much easier/preferable to be used with eyeglasses.

I want to take a good, 2+hr hike in bright, sunny conditions to report upon next time. I will also, once I receive them back from some repair work, attempt to compare these to the Leupold Golden Ring HD 8x42s I have, which I'd consider alphas in all but the name and weight.

Also, I ordered a RYO harness - depending upon how I like it, I'll try and get some connectors to use with all sets of my binos. Hope to have it early next week, along with a rainguard.

Justin

Justin:

I have been watching the positive reviews on this model, and now your mention of the small sized
eyecups, and so they may not work well for those without eyeglasses is disappointing.

That seems to put them together with many of the rest of the pocket types.
Have you used the Zeiss Conquest Terra 8x25 ? I find that one to be good for me without glasses,
and I have tried many of the pockets. The Terra seemed easier for me to use than the Swaro. 8x25.

The eyecup size and eye relief are very important with ease of use with pocket types.

Now I know I will not be in a hurry with this model. I wonder if others could comment on a
comparison with the Conquest.

Jerry

Hya Jerry

Oddly enough I had reason to use the Pockets without my spectacles just half an hour ago. I was just out of bed and stopped near a back window as I thought I could see the merest hint of the first snow of the winter on the hill top across the valley and I grabbed the Pockets to take a look. I pulled the eyecups up and put them up to my eyes but pressed them up underneath my eye sockets rather than jamming them straight back into my eyes and had no difficulty at all. There was the view and yes there was a wee skim of snow.

Thing is, I didn't realise I had used this technique until I opened my laptop to check Birdforum and opened this thread and began reading. I must have unknowingly developed this way of putting them to my eyes on the few times I used my old Victory Compacts without spectacles.

Summing up, the Pockets do have the small diameter eyecups that can sink too close to your eyes but I found it almost instinctive to brace them under my eye sockets. It sounds a bigger deal than it is.

Lee

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to avoid them? Save some coin hey.
I'll throw my experience in again. As a non glasses wearer I find eye placement easy and comfortable. Part of what makes them so good is just how easy and comfortable the view is let alone the quality of the image and excellent handling.
Someone on here called these a game changer regarding compacts and I strongly agree.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to avoid them? Save some coin hey.
I'll throw my experience in again. As a non glasses wearer I find eye placement easy and comfortable. Part of what makes them so good is just how easy and comfortable the view is let alone the quality of the image and excellent handling.
Someone on here called these a game changer regarding compacts and I strongly agree.

Hi F88

If you are responding to my post, I am absolutely not avoiding them. I love them to bits although I do prefer a 32mm for general use. As a pocket bino though, they sure exceeded my expectations. Glad to hear you are enjoying them too.

Lee

Jerry: in regards to eye placement without eyeglasses, I am most going of what my girlfriend stated as she was seeing excessive blackouts; after I'd given her a pair of glasses to wear under them, she had a much easier time.

If you can properly utilize the 'MOLCET' technique, which is what I did, you should be able to get a very nice view with minimal effort. For me, the view with eyeglasses takes no extra effort or modified position when holding the binos.

Justin:

I have been watching the positive reviews on this model, and now your mention of the small sized
eyecups, and so they may not work well for those without eyeglasses is disappointing.

That seems to put them together with many of the rest of the pocket types.
Have you used the Zeiss Conquest Terra 8x25 ? I find that one to be good for me without glasses,
and I have tried many of the pockets. The Terra seemed easier for me to use than the Swaro. 8x25.

The eyecup size and eye relief are very important with ease of use with pocket types.

Now I know I will not be in a hurry with this model. I wonder if others could comment on a
comparison with the Conquest.

Jerry

Jerry,

I own all the bins you reference. The Victory is best by far for me. Agree with your positive comments about the Terra. I do not usually wear glasses when using bins but keep eyecups folded fully down. Both Terra and victory work well with or without glasses. Victory FOV 393' with 90 to 95% FOV with glasses, Terra FOV 357' with 85 to 90% FOV with glasses. Victory is 5 to 10% sharper and brighter. But in actual use, the best way to describe superiority of the Victory is the whole (experience) is greater than the sum if its parts.

You will probably love it.

Mike

Lee, post 163,
I have spoken a number of people who actually visited the Japanese company mentioned as the maker of the Conquests and they said they had convincing evidence that the Conquest were made in Japan, but that the binoculars were handled in such a way, that they could comply with European regulations in order that could be written Made in Germany on the binoculars. Considering the numbers of employees Zeiss has dismissed that would be a surprise to me.
Moreover binoculars do not belong to the core business of Zeiss if you look at the overall sales of Zeiss as a whole.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi F88

If you are responding to my post, I am absolutely not avoiding them. I love them to bits although I do prefer a 32mm for general use. As a pocket bino though, they sure exceeded my expectations. Glad to hear you are enjoying them too.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I was responding to Jerry regarding eye placement etc.
I'm increasingly finding that I'm either using these or a 42 with my 8x32 EDG remaining stowed away.
No problems whatsoever for me without glasses.
Thanks Lee.

Last edited:
Lee, post 163,
I have spoken a number of people who actually visited the Japanese company mentioned as the maker of the Conquests and they said they had convincing evidence that the Conquest were made in Japan, but that the binoculars were handled in such a way, that they could comply with European regulations in order that could be written Made in Germany on the binoculars. Considering the numbers of employees Zeiss has dismissed that would be a surprise to me.
Moreover binoculars do not belong to the core business of Zeiss if you look at the overall sales of Zeiss as a whole.

Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for this Gijs. Did your contacts explain how the Conquests were 'handled' to achieve the Made in Germany claim?

I think when you mention the numbers of employees dismissed that you mean the numbers who have left the company as we have been told that it was not necessary to 'dismiss' any employees. This is a rather technical point and the workforce in Wetzlar is for sure much smaller now.

And you are perfectly right to point out the Sports Optics is a very small part of the overall Zeiss business.

Lee

Lee, post176,
That binoculars are not the core business of the Zeiss company as a whole is no secret, it was told already some years ago by the then active director of Zeiss in Wetzlar when I was invited to visit. But it was certainly considered as a jewel on top of the vast amount of other products made. Think about the optical components for the wafer stepers (ASML, NIKON ETC. ETC.), so vital for the computer and other digital equipment industry, the lenses for (amonG others) Japanese camera's, medical equipment etc. etc. Zeiss used to have also a large facility for making military optical equipment, but if I remember well, that was sold. I assume that an overview of Zeiss production and amount of money involved can be found on internet somewhere.
Gijs van Ginkel

Lee, post176,
That binoculars are not the core business of the Zeiss company as a whole is no secret, it was told already some years ago by the then active director of Zeiss in Wetzlar when I was invited to visit. But it was certainly considered as a jewel on top of the vast amount of other products made. Think about the optical components for the wafer stepers (ASML, NIKON ETC. ETC.), so vital for the computer and other digital equipment industry, the lenses for (amonG others) Japanese camera's, medical equipment etc. etc. Zeiss used to have also a large facility for making military optical equipment, but if I remember well, that was sold. I assume that an overview of Zeiss production and amount of money involved can be found on internet somewhere.
Gijs van Ginkel

As usual you are right Gijs: the military optics business was sold to Airbus Industrie although when I was last in Wetzlar the business was still located in the Zeiss building. Their other businesses include Industrial Metrology, Microscopy, Vision, Planetariums, Schott Glass and even more. The Group sales revenue for 2016/17 was Euros 5.35 Billion!

Lee

Last edited:
Lee, post 176,
I forgot to answer your question whether I know how Zeiss (and other companies) handle Japan made binoculars so they can be labelled made In Germany, but the companies undoubtedly know how to do that. In my opinion that is not important at all if Zeiss takes the responsibiliy for the final quality and after sales service. Some years ago Meopta made the observation telescopes for Leica and Zeiss and they still were labelled Made in Germany. And I am rather certain that Meopta has even recently made optical components etc. for the optical instruments made by Zeiss. That is as far as I am concerned also no problem at all, since Zeiss is responsible for guarding and controlling the final quality, and the company is very well capable to do that.
Gijs van Ginkel

Used these for my little over an hour walk each of the past two days. Conditions were bright and sunny on both days. I tried exceedingly hard to induce CA and I couldn't see it anywhere outside of a narrow rim around the very edge (maybe last 1-3%?) of the view. I consider myself relatively sensitive to CA and it has degraded views in more than one otherwise excellent pair of binoculars, but I'd hazard to say these little things are on par with the best of the best in terms of CA.
With regards to glare, I'd put these about average. My use today was near sunset, and I could induce veiling glare when viewing near the sun. The best I have seen in terms of glare would probably be the Trinovids and EDG, but I'd put these below that level but above the Swarovision.
Contract is excellent, I am able to discern fine feather details even in poor lighting conditions. Ease if view remains amazingly simple.
Overall, I'd consider these a more than adequate full time bino in all but the most demanding of limited lighting situations. The view is, for lack of a better word, clean and easy.
I also received a RYO UL harness; it is a neat little gadget and more user friendly than the paracord harnesses I've fabricated myself in the past. I will probably end up buying additional clips to use it with all my binos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back