Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy?

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 21:17   #1
[email protected]
Forum Member

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy? I have a Canon 10x42 IS-L, New Swarovski 8x30 CL, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Nikon 8x30 EII. I have posted on Bird Forum enough so you know what wet's my whistle. I like Swarovski's the best and Zeiss second but you might talk me into a Leica or Nikon if you are very persuasive. I don't want anything too big because I am getting tired of carrying a lot of weight. So forget the Zeiss 8x56 FL. I don't want any Habicht's because I can't stand the veiling glare and hard focus. I want something that is available and is preferably not made in China and that includes Vortex and Zen Ray. Give me some ideas. What binocular have you found that you REALLY like that you think I might like. Remember I am VERY picky. Thanks for your help in my search for the perfect binocular. I know it doesn't exist.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 12th March 2018 at 22:28.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 21:38   #2
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy? I have a Canon 10x42 IS-L, New Swarovski 8x30 CL, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Nikon 8x30 EII. I have posted on Bird Forum enough so you know what wet's my whistle. I like Swarovski's the best and Zeiss second but you might talk me into a Leica or Nikon. I don't want anything too big because I am getting tired of carrying a lot of weight. I don't want any Habicht's because I can't stand the veiling glare and hard focus. I want something that is available and is preferably not made in China and that includes Vortex and Zen Ray. Give me some ideas. What binocular have you found that you REALLY like that you think I might like. Remember I am VERY picky. Thanks for your help in my search for the perfect binocular. I know it doesn't exist.
Dennis:

Put that money in the bank and realize that no one, in your lifetime, will EVER have a better binocular than the one you're most appreciative of ... right now. And though dozens may argue, NONE can PROVE anything different. They can easily prove their preference for stacking BBs and chatting about it. But, because of physiological and ego-oriented differences they will never be able to prove anything more. This one has better CA correction but has more field curvature. That one has better resolution but is heavier. That one has better AR coatings but more absorbant and light scattering prisms. And on and on! Talk is cheap; research require something more including other optics forums

Bill

Last edited by WJC : Monday 12th March 2018 at 21:46.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 21:55   #3
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Dennis:

Put that money in the bank and realize that no one, in your lifetime, will EVER have a better binocular than the one you're most appreciative of ... right now. And though dozens may argue, NONE can PROVE anything different. They can easily prove their preference for stacking BBs and chatting about it. But, because of physiological and ego-oriented differences they will never be able to prove anything more. This one has better CA correction but has more field curvature. That one has better resolution but is heavier. That one has better AR coatings but more absorbant and light scattering prisms. And on and on! Talk is cheap; research require something more including other optics forums

Bill

Amen Bill. Well said.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:03   #4
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Well just for fun, how about the Meopta 12X50 Meostar with a tripod, and you can have some funds left over to take a short trip and view with them.

A.W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:09   #5
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Hello Dennis and Welcome to BF!

1st recommendation, Without a doubt, Need to check these out, Cool Looks to put that Fire Out!

Superb ED Glass, 316SS Precision Smooth Steel Focuser, 550ft @1000 yards FOV, 5.6 EP, light 24 oz. package (liquid filled), 10oz (sweet aromatic filled), outstanding neutral color (if you like brown), Armor impervious to 500+ years (that's 50 generations) of environmental exposure and all for the Special Price, today (before 7pm eastern time), of just $1,999!!!

Sorry Dennis, couldn't help myself...

Good Luck on your Never Ending Quest!

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBO 9.5X53MM ED Glass.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	656120  

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:11   #6
cycleguy

I would sell the Nikon 8x30 and probably the 8x25; add a few more dollars to the $2K and buy a top end 8x42!!! I know you do this for entertainment value as much as practical use. The lesser dollar 8x42's won't give you the entertainment value like the top dollar ones will. Maybe the Noctivid since you have not yet owned one.

CG

Last edited by cycleguy : Monday 12th March 2018 at 22:15.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:16   #7
[email protected]
Forum Member

Theo. That pipe fitting IPD adjustment looks like it would a little rough. I just like to buy new binoculars. I get a kick out of trying different models. I should be a professional binocular reviewer.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:19   #8
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Theo. That pipe fitting IPD adjustment looks like it would a little rough.
After you emptied the tubes, who needs an IPD adjustment...

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:21   #9
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Well just for fun, how about the Meopta 12X50 Meostar with a tripod, and you can have some funds left over to take a short trip and view with them.

A.W.
I have had trouble with all three Meopta's I have tried. I am done with Meopta's. The last one had a grease leak at the focuser and a fatally flawed, loose IPD adjustment. Meopta's.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 12th March 2018 at 22:25.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:24   #10
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Dennis:

Bill
But Bill that is what I like to do. Buy new binoculars and argue about what is the best one.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:42   #11
pechelman

Why not use that cash to buy a round trip ticket to go somewhere you've always wanted to go with the amazing glass you already own rather than posting about buying more binoculars on an internet forum? We get you like to try new stuff, but better is often/usually/always the enemy of good enough.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:44   #12
Vespobuteo

Leica 8x42 UVHD+ or why not try the 7x42 version? A 7x bins is always a pleasure to use and you don't seem to have one in your collection.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 22:59   #13
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
Why not use that cash to buy a round trip ticket to go somewhere you've always wanted to go with the amazing glass you already own rather than posting about buying more binoculars on an internet forum? We get you like to try new stuff, but better is often/usually/always the enemy of good enough.

what do you want to see better with new binoculars that you cannot with what you have?

edj
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:18   #14
WJC

Quote:
But Bill that is what I like to do. Buy new binoculars and argue about what is the best one.
I know. But then, there's always Binoculars Anonymous ... where you can meet and enjoy the company of other BB stackers.

Bill
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:20   #15
Alexis Powell

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV of recent vintage

--AP
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:22   #16
black crow

Quote:
The Swarovski 8x50B I have for sale of course. And I promise to leave you money enough to buy lunch and desert. Can't beat a deal like that.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:24   #17
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post

A.W.
This will never do. He's already written off Meopta.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:31   #18
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

I forgot about the leaky focus issue.

A.W.

Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:36   #19
black crow

My Meopro has the best focuser of any of my dozen binoculars.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:46   #20
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
I just got back from the Yucatan birding. I have money for trips. This $2K is burning a hole in my pocket. It needs to be spent on binoculars. If I don't spend it soon my wife will.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 12th March 2018 at 23:50.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:50   #21
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
Leica 8x42 UVHD+ or why not try the 7x42 version? A 7x bins is always a pleasure to use and you don't seem to have one in your collection.
I have tried a lot of different 7x binoculars in the past and I always found 7x too weak for me despite it's advantages like DOF and easy eye placement. I like 8x the best and I like 10x IF it has IS like the Canon 10x42 IS-L. I have trouble holding 10x steady.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:55   #22
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post

what do you want to see better with new binoculars that you cannot with what you have?

edj
I just like trying different binoculars. When I was into astronomy I liked trying different telescopes just to see how they performed. Same with binoculars.
Old Monday 12th March 2018, 23:57   #23
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV of recent vintage

--AP
Good choice but kind of boring.
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 00:13   #24
ailevin

Quote:
I know. But then, there's always Binoculars Anonymous ... where you can meet and enjoy the company of other BB stackers.

Bill
This isn’t Binoculars Anonymous? Hi my name is Alan ...
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 00:31   #25
black crow

It sure is for me.

Hi Alan... the donuts and coffee are over here. You can smoke outside, that's where everyone else is.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: