• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus Fixer photoshop plug-in (1 Viewer)

Andy Holt

A new product has been launched called Focus Fixer. It's a photoshop 7 plug-in that is supposed to also work with PS Elements (but not Paintshop Pro or other plug-in supporting apps).

It uses complex and VERY processor hungry algorithms to reduce focus blur.

I've invested the required £35 to register a copy (without which you get 15 trial conversions) and my initial feelings are that it does provide superior results to the old favourite Unsharp mask that most of us use.

If your interested, here is the website address: http://www.fixerlabs.com/

Remember though, you need PS7 or Elements and it needs alot of RAM and patience (anything from 20 seconds to a minute or so).

If your as obsessive about squeezing as much sharpness out of your digiscoped images as I am then this is well worth looking at.

Thanks for that one Andy.... I'll investigate it. I wouldn't mind seeing that Neatimage programme as a plug-in filter.
Fred Miranda has just released a chroma noise reduction action (I got it free as a customer, but they're always cheap from him)... I though it was prett good.
Andy

Andy, apparently Neat Image is now available as plugin since May 29.

www.neatimage.com

Hope you have more luck than me with the Focus Fixer demo. I get a tantalising glimpse then Photoshop crashes. Guess my PC isn't up to it :-C

Yippee, thank Norm. I've always had reservations about Neatimage for images destined for print, but I always reckoned it would be handy to apply it to specific areas of an image.... where's my credit card?
Andy

I have 512mb RAM and my machine groans a bit when I run Focus fixer. I'll post some samples of what it can do with digiscoped images when I get chance.

redwing said:

Andy B, How good is this neatimage thingy then, i know IanF uses it with good results.

Rich

You can download a version for free from www.neatimage.com but you can't save in tiff format (and I'm not sure what jpeg compression ratio it does save at?).
This programme is a standalone, unless you buy the pro version that includes a Photoshop plug-in version at $75, which is very cheap for these sort of things. It can be pretty slow with large files.

When neatimage first came out it was pretty awful, some very odd looking side effects even when used at lowest setting.
The latest versions are much improved... though I'm still not 100% convinced for large prints.
Definitely good for web images, you'll see many digiscoped shots shown using Neatimage.... check the name of the photo, it will often have _filtered.jpg at the end.
The setting on Neatimage take a bit of practise, but there's plenty of help on the website.
Worth a try.
Andy

After seeing the results (thanks Peteee23) of what it can do to a small image of mine, I have downloaded the demo version and intend to have a play with it.
Have you used this much now Andy, for applying so specific areas?
How do you rate it ?

Rich

Hi Rich,
Yes, I'm using it quite a lot..... I haven't used it on specific areas as much as I thought I would but I tend to do the whole image and maybe go over some areas with the history brush at varying strengths where I feel it's slightly overdone things (or where it wasn't really needed)

It's still a fairly long wait on my old machine with big images but at least it's effects make the final image a bit smaller in file size. I've gone over 50%+ of all the images on my website with it.

Andy

I bought in Focus fixer after trialling it and have been very impressed with the results. You need to use it carefully as it can make the images too sharp, but with trial and error I have been very pleased. It can be slow when treating the whole picture but by selecting the area you really need sharpening it is quicker.
I could post one or two before and after pics if I knew where to post them as it is rather a specific area rather than a gallery option. Any thoughts or advice as to where, Andy?

I've just installed a free copy of FocusFixer from the Christmas issue of Digital Camera Magazine. You have to register it to get past the 15 day limit, but it is free.

I have played with a few photos that were not really in focus at all and the results are amazing. It does take a while to perform the sharpening, but not too much. I do have plenty of memory and a fast computer, though.

Below is a before and after demo.

Images have both been cropped, but no other edits have been made to the before shot.

I imagine that with photos that are not as blurred as mine was, the results will be even more impressive.

Attachments

• FocusTest2.jpg
    FocusTest2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 286
  • FocusTest.jpg
    FocusTest.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back