• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on a DSLR camera and lens for bird photography? (For a newbie) (1 Viewer)

ryan11111

https://www.instagram.com/the_zoology_duo/
I have been wanting to start doing some bird photography recently and would like some advice on good cameras and equipment for this that aren't too pricey.

I would like something I could bring with me when walking around the fields and let me get some nice photos (especially of the hobbies and warblers in my area).

Hi. Depends what you mean by "not too pricey" :D

I was in your position about 18 months ago. I got a Canon DSLR kit as a present which was based around the entry-level 100D body but the kit lenses were relatively poor in terms of reach and quality (the biggest was a 75-300mm). It quickly became apparent that a much better lens was required.

Although there are camera bodies which are much higher-specced than mine (I'll get one... one day!) it seems that the current entry-level Canons (sorry, can't speak for Nikons) are specced at about the same level as mid-range Canons of around 4-5 years ago.

I think the current price for the 100D body (probably with a basic 18-55mm "standard" lens) is about £250.

Most of your budget should be reserved for the lens. Buy the best you can afford. If you can stretch to it, the Canon 400mm f5.6 is a great lens for static and "in-flight" shots and for even more flexibility (and with image stabilisation) there is the Canon 100-400mm mk2 zoom which I eventually plumped for. However, these lenses are, indeed, "pricey" (the 400mm f5.6 is about £850 - the zoom is about 2x that).

Because the 100-400mm mk2 is a recent model, there are lots of second-hand mk1 models becoming available. The second-hand market is also a great place to look if your budget is a bit tighter. Try www.mbp.com

Sorry, I can't comment on "bridge cameras" myself but there are good alternatives there too.

Happy snapping!

Buy the longest/fastest lens you can 2nd hand. You need every mm you can get. They're still not very cheap but something like a 500/4 or a 600/4 Nikon AIS. I found a 600/4 Nikon ED AIS for around 2k something like 15 years ago when I started, which I still use now on Canon bodies via an adapter. I often wish I had an 800mm also!

I'd also get a Canon x0d range camera 2nd hand to go with it. At least a 30d, but the 70d if you can. I'm really liking having the 70d on my 600/4, especially for the HD video.

It may not be a very portable combination, but it's got the reach for small birds if you can get relatively close, especially if used with the 1.4x tc.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back