• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bryanti / bryantii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am wondering a little bit about key entry:

Walter Pierce Bryant (1861-1905) US ornithologist, Bird Curator for California Academy of Sciences (subsp. Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus, syn. Passerculus sandwichensis alaudinus).

I think we talk about Walter E. Bryant or here.

Why Pierce and what is the middle name E.? I see no Pierce in his obituary in The Condor nor in here. I feel Pierce was introduced by error but would be happy if anyone convince me with additional information.

But could derive from here:

Bryant, Walter Pierce, 1861-1905, Santa Rosa, Rural Cemetery, Bryant Lot (grave unmarked in 1929).

Last edited:
This seems to be a long-lasting confusing situation, in any case.
In a 1928 paper in Condor [pdf], he was even once presented as: "Bryant, Walter [Pierc]e."

• "Heleodytes brunneicapillus bryanti" ANTHONY 1894 (here):
This subspecies I propose to name Heleodytes brunneicapillus bryanti, in honor of Mr. W. E. Bryant, whose name is too well known in connection with the ornithology of Lower California to make comment on my part necessary.
If we follow the clue "IN HIS catalogue of the 'Birds of Lower California'", given in the very entry of this Paper I think we end up with "A Catalogue of the Birds of Lower California, Mexico" 1889, by Walter E. Bryant, here ...

For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. The Passerculus synonym I haven't checked at all.

He used "Walter E." when publishing, and this is clearly how he was referred to while he was alive.

The earliest occurrence of "Walter Pierce Bryant" or "Bryant Walter Pierce" that Google Books finds in the literature is in Pacific Coast Avifauna, 13: 7 -- [this], in a list of "authors whose names appeared in the first ten volumes of The Condor, though not in full, and for whom full names are now available." This was published in 1919 (14 years after he passed away). I have tried searching Condor 1-10 for "Bryant" on BHL -- but all the indications of a middle name I could find (there are many) were always "E."

Last edited:
So the family story repeated in dozens of genealogical websites is that his given name was Walter Pierce but that he disliked Pierce. It was however considered necessary in the US in the 19th century for a gentleman to have a middle initial therefore from his late teens, he dropped the Pierc and simply used the initial E. Thus the E stands for nothing. This is not a unique situation I have heard of it before.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back