• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bough Beech, 29/08/04 (1 Viewer)

Andy Ledger

Falling into disrepair
I decided to go a little further afield this morning, so 9 o'clock found me at the causeway overlooking the reserve. There had been reports of Pec.Sand and Osprey, but there was no sign of either while I was there. There were 5 Dunlin, in varying stages of moult. The place was teeming with Pied Wagtails, on both sides of the road, and on the North side there were some very good views of Grey Wags, too. Teal and Mallard , Lapwings, Linnets, Coots and Moorhens were well represented. No Pec.Sand, but about 3 each of Green and Common. I was well chuffed when a Kingfisher flew through, likewise with the Great Spotted Woodpecker. A few Whitethroats hopping about, too. Masses of Swallows. On the South Side, around the main body of the reservoir, were good numbers of Grey Herons, and Little Egrets, plus huge flocks of Greylag Geese, and some Canada Geese. A Sparrowhawk was mobbed by Black headed Gulls and made a rapid exit! I'd have stayed longer, but the weather was more like October, and I was too flippin' cold to stay any longer. After I'd thawed out at home a bit and had a cup of tea, I went out for an hour on my patch, which I've recorded in the appropriate place.

Still worth it Andy, we better get used to winter weather not far off.
bert.

Glad you enjoyed your foray. Hope you catch up with Pec Sand and Osprey soon. I am looking forward to the winter as the wader numbers on the Exe shoot up.

It sounds like a good place for birding. Not too far from my home. The next few weeks might find me making a trip. Thanks for the report.

florall said:
It sounds like a good place for birding. Not too far from my home. The next few weeks might find me making a trip. Thanks for the report.

It's just about the most accessible birding spot ever, because you observe from the roadside; just park up and away you go.
|=)|

Oh wonderful. I'm disabled and can't walk too far, so any birding that can be done from the car has got to be a bonus. I'm getting the maps out to see about going.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back