Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdng off I-70 (Kansas, Missouri)

Old Wednesday 20th May 2009, 02:41   #1
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Birdng off I-70 (Kansas, Missouri)

My wife & I will be driving to Michigan from Reno the last week of May/Early June & hope to do some birding along the way. As far as birds are concerned, terra incognita starts for us at the western edge of Kansas & the plan is to concentrate our efforts in that state & in Missouri. We'll be motel hopping along I-70 & will have about a week in the 2 states before having to push-on to our final destination.

Any suggestions regarding good birding spots in Kansas/Missouri within reasonable reach (don't want to spend more time driving than we have to) of the I-70 corridor would be gratefully received. Target species includes just about anything not easy to find W of the Utah line. Passerine migration hotspots (though I guess spring passerine migration will be drawing to a close in late May?)?. Shorebirds--Buff-breasted, Upland, White-rumped, Stilt, Baird's sandpipers, Hudsonian Godwit? Red-headed Woodpecker? Prairie Chickens? Grasshopper Sparrow? Anything I've forgotten?

TIA for any help.

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 20th May 2009 at 04:13.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st May 2009, 22:44   #2
Abbigail_Inkling

I am very new to birding, so I am not sure that I can give you good information about what kinds of birds there are around here. However I did grow up in Kansas City, so I can recommend a couple of places that you might be interested in looking into that are right off of I-70.

We really enjoy hiking at Woodridge Park at Clinton Lake. There is a 4.5 mile loop that is somewhat out of the way, and lower traffic means that we see lots of birds. Links below.

http://baldwin-city.com/rec/clintonlake/

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cl/Camp-Woodridge-Photos.cfm

The Burr Oak Woods nature center has trails and an indoor bird viewing area. They have a list of the birds that you can find there on their website. They very close to I-70 in the Blue Springs area.

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/cnc/burroak/

I hope this is helpful.
Old Friday 22nd May 2009, 02:52   #3
fugl
BF Supporter 2019

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. The Burr Oak Woods Nature center looks particularly attractive--I just had a look at the bird checklist--& I think we'll definitely try to stop there & maybe at Woodridge Park also if time permits.

Thanks again--

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: