Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

August-November England and Wales

Old Friday 25th July 2014, 00:21   #1
Silverwolf

August-November England and Wales

So from August 17th to mid November I will be present in the UK and appreciate any advice on my current missing birds. I understand some are probably gone or nearly gone (i.e. summer breeders cf. pied flycatcher and quail) around the time I visit. I seem to mostly be missing winter birds and specialty summer breeders.

My base will vary, but will include New Forest area and south coast (spent many painful years trying to find hbuzzard firecrest and lesser spot there, ugh) and nearby. In Wales I will be around the Ceredigion/Cardigan Bay area.

Well without further ado here is my "bogey" list, in no specific order. Even though I've been birding in UK on and off for over a decade I'm missing a hell of a lot due to trouble finding information on them--who knows, maybe someone knows what a Garganey is these days

Waterbirds/Waders/etc
Garganey
Pintail
Wigeon
Little Ringed Plover
Curlew Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Jack Snipe
Spotted Redshank
Little Stint
Yellow-legged Gull
Bittern
Black Guillemot
Little Gull
Eider
Long-tailed Duck
Common Scoter (and Velvet but it seems rare)
Smew
European Golden-plover

Passerines/land birds
Redwing
Brambling
Hawfinch
Water Pipit
Ring Ouzel
Tree Sparrow
Twite
Lapland Bunting
Yellow Wagtail
Owls! Literally any owl at all, I've seen none. Barn, short-eared, long-eared, tawny, etc.

And these I add just for the sake of adding...I'm not counting on them but if there are great areas I'd like to know.
The "unlikely" list--I literally don't expect to ever see these without exceptional circumstances. Most of these I don't expect to see in my lifetime at all...
Water Rail (and Spotted Crake but it seems unlikely)
Roseate Tern || Corncrake
Quail || Marsh Warbler|| Grasshopper Warbler
Honey Buzzard || Wood Warbler || Lesser-spotted Woodpecker
Black Redstart || Stone Curlew || Nightingale
Willow Tit || Pied Flycatcher || Firecrest || Dotterel
Old Friday 25th July 2014, 03:58   #2
Silverwolf

I think this is better in the Information Wanted section which I missed before, please post there http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....67#post3036967

This can be deleted/closed.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: