Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

camo smocks

Old Friday 7th July 2017, 19:25   #1
stu52

camo smocks

Hi all, sorry if this has been discussed before but just wanted to check your thoughts out on wearing camo gear while birdwatching.

A very good friend of mine who is a serving marine has just gifted me the new pcs windproof smock and a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket in the new MTP camo pattern.

My question is, would people think I'm a Walter Mitty character wearing this type of kit? There are no unit patches or wings or daggers on them and I would never dream of adding these to the smock, I think that is totally unacceptable and I would certainly never add a set of camo trousers either.

I love this kit because it does what it says on the tin and is super warm waterproof and very hard wearing and even if I had paid for the same items from an army surplus store they would still be cheaper and better value then some high end civilian brands.

I was also very lucky to have been given a brand new set of Altberg defenders but as there footwear I'm guessing these are okay to wear?.

They are stunning boots very comfy and highly waterproof and warm I love them .

Cheers Stu
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 21:13   #2
Loud Green Man

Go for it. Its not as if you'll be wearing the matching pants or carrying a sporting rifle to cause other woodland users to look twice.

If however you're not 100% comfortable with it look at the Arktis range of non camo military inspired clothing. Their Falklands Jacket and Sniper Smock in plain olive are both cracking bits of kit.

LGM
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 09:12   #3
stu52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Green Man View Post
Go for it. Its not as if you'll be wearing the matching pants or carrying a sporting rifle to cause other woodland users to look twice.

If however you're not 100% comfortable with it look at the Arktis range of non camo military inspired clothing. Their Falklands Jacket and Sniper Smock in plain olive are both cracking bits of kit.

LGM
Hi Mate

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I do love the Arktis range of stuff they look superb bits of kit I was also checking out these jackets http://www.military1st.co.uk/ku-pcs-...n-ripstop.html they do not look too bad.

I will wear the MTP stuff and see how I get on for now though it is very nice kit and very well thought out I certainly will not be adding pants or rifle though .

I have also just picked up the olive Snugpac elite pile shirt from a retailer who had them in a sale. I know it was a bit early in the year to get one but for the price I just had to snap it up. it is a lovely piece of kit and sits lovely under both the windproof and the Gore-Tex smocks.

I will do a review for this and may do one for the smock and boots when I get time.

Kindest regards

Stu

Last edited by stu52 : Saturday 8th July 2017 at 09:16.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: