Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski CTH head ??

Old Sunday 10th February 2019, 01:07   #1
teelgul

Swarovski CTH head ??

Hi
Has anyone tried out this new compact head?
Cheers
Vaidya
Old Sunday 3rd March 2019, 11:08   #2
forent

Apart from the design the Swarovski DTH fluid head is identical to the Gitzo GHF2W but you have to pay a 50% premium for the little silver hawk.
Hence, I bought the GHF2W for my ATX 95/65. So far I am perfectly satisfied.
Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 06:45   #3
Apochromat
ZEISS VICTORY SF 8x42 SWAROVSKI EL 8.5x42 WB EL 10x32 WB EL 10x42 WB KOWA 883+25x-60x Wide
BF Supporter 2019

GITZO GIMBAL GHFG1 Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by forent View Post
Apart from the design the Swarovski DTH fluid head is identical to the Gitzo GHF2W but you have to pay a 50% premium for the little silver hawk.
Hence, I bought the GHF2W for my ATX 95/65. So far I am perfectly satisfied.
Hello,

I would go with the original GITZO Gimbal Head GHFG1 (495 EUR, Foto Erhard Germany). It is in the price range of the SWAROVSKI DTH (450 EUR, official SWAROVSKI price) and much more versatile. I sold the other head since I am using the GITZO GIMBAL (identical with the SWAROVSKI PTH) only. Much smoother and accurate movements than anything else out there.
A bit more heavy or bulky but worth it.

You need a good tripod, such as a GITZO Mountaineer or Systematic though.

I am sure that this is also all available in Oceania.

Thanks
Michael

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 8th March 2019, 04:14   #4
forent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apochromat View Post
Hello, I would go with the original GITZO Gimbal Head GHFG1 (...) (identical with the SWAROVSKI PTH) only. Much smoother and accurate movements than anything else out there. (...)
The Gitzo and Swarovski (made by Gitzo) gimbal heads are really excellent, no question, but design aside they still are not exactly identical. As you can see (and read, but in German only) here: https://augenblickeeingefangen.blog/...llingsbrueder/ the Gitzo GHFG1 with its larger mounting base provides sufficient space for tele lenses with diameters up to 132 mm (e.g. a 2.8/300) while the slimmer Swarovski PTH is restricted to scopes or photo lenses with a maximum diameter of 90 mm.
Old Saturday 9th March 2019, 23:03   #5
Apochromat
ZEISS VICTORY SF 8x42 SWAROVSKI EL 8.5x42 WB EL 10x32 WB EL 10x42 WB KOWA 883+25x-60x Wide
BF Supporter 2019

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forent View Post
The Gitzo and Swarovski (made by Gitzo) gimbal heads are really excellent, no question, but design aside they still are not exactly identical. As you can see (and read, but in German only) here: https://augenblickeeingefangen.blog/...llingsbrueder/ the Gitzo GHFG1 with its larger mounting base provides sufficient space for tele lenses with diameters up to 132 mm (e.g. a 2.8/300) while the slimmer Swarovski PTH is restricted to scopes or photo lenses with a maximum diameter of 90 mm.
For what I meant they are almost the same. There are some more small differences as those mentioned in that quite valuable report. Anyhow, I tested both before buying and found them functionally similar what the carrying of a spotting scope is concerned. I liked the fit and finish of the GITZO GHFG1 better. My decision was made on that, not on price. It is a ity that GITZO does not offer a balance rail. The original SWARO is not compatible to my KOWA TSN 883 PROMINAR by a fracture of a millimeter.

Thanks
Michael

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: