Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Slow Mo photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 16:52   #1
dan5001
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: london
Posts: 7
Slow Mo photography

Hi, is there a decent entry level DSLR that will allow me to take slowmo pics particularly of birds on my feeders?
Thanks 🙂
dan5001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 17:17   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 22,515
I am not sure what you are asking here. If it is video, then you will be hard pressed to find anything better than the panasonic models. If it is about single shots of birds, more like what I would call freeze action, then they all should be able to do that. The focusing usually get better when paying more

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Just moved to Barbados
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 20:02   #3
dan5001
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: london
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I am not sure what you are asking here. If it is video, then you will be hard pressed to find anything better than the panasonic models. If it is about single shots of birds, more like what I would call freeze action, then they all should be able to do that. The focusing usually get better when paying more

Niels
I'm not sure either! I was messing about on a phone taking slow motion videos of birds around a feeder and I thought I might get much better results with a proper camera. Lots of different options out there!
dan5001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 03:07   #4
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 663
Sony and Panasonic would be what come to mind first. The RX10, a6400, a6500, A7.

The consumer-level Nikons will do 60 fps, so basic slow motion played back at 24 fps. Some of the high-end Nikons will do 120 fps. It's pretty pathetic compared to the RX10 IV's (and other models') HFR of 250 - 500 fps in some modes. I'm not sure what Canon does.

Marc
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 07:24   #5
dan5001
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: london
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsantacurz View Post
Sony and Panasonic would be what come to mind first. The RX10, a6400, a6500, A7.

The consumer-level Nikons will do 60 fps, so basic slow motion played back at 24 fps. Some of the high-end Nikons will do 120 fps. It's pretty pathetic compared to the RX10 IV's (and other models') HFR of 250 - 500 fps in some modes. I'm not sure what Canon does

Marc

Thanks. They all look a bit out of my budget of up to 500pounds UK.
dan5001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 08:55   #6
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan5001 View Post
Thanks. They all look a bit out of my budget of up to 500pounds UK.
This may be worth considering, it will do 100fps for slow mo

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panaso...amera-1555221/
__________________
Olympus EM1MK11
100-400,12-60,60MM macro
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 11:04   #7
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 737
A sample vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hII62dzc4Q
__________________
Olympus EM1MK11
100-400,12-60,60MM macro
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 11:12   #8
dan5001
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: london
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Nice! And how would it compare with this?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qZ8LsRoIdwsEyz
dan5001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 12:19   #9
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan5001 View Post
Nice! And how would it compare with this?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qZ8LsRoIdwsEyz
Sorry, i don't know enough about video to answer, hopefully someone will.
__________________
Olympus EM1MK11
100-400,12-60,60MM macro
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 28th May 2019, 07:20   #10
dan5001
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: london
Posts: 7
Thanks. I think the lz1000 looks a better option.
dan5001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PC on go slow, can anyone help? pauliev69 Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 28 Tuesday 9th January 2007 19:03
Slow Down and Look michaelboustead Birds & Birding 0 Thursday 3rd March 2005 19:39
BF Slow jpoyner Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 48 Monday 15th November 2004 21:55

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.18523002 seconds with 26 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:08.