Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Two Questions about Viruses

Old Monday 1st November 2010, 08:48   #1
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Two Questions about Viruses

These may seem a bit of a numpty's questions, but they are genuine.

The PC had to be cleared of a virus ten days ago, and the hard drive wiped and Windows reinstalled.
  1. How do viruses get past the protection - McAfee in our case? Seems a bit pointless in having a Firewall and protection if they let stuff through.
  2. Related to the first question; McAfee ran a scan last night and reported that 2502 files had been infected by viruses, but not to worry as they had cleaned and deleted them. So - how on earth did 2502 files get infected in seven days, and why didn't McAfee stop it?
Before the Apple lovers tell me to get a Mac - I shall be doing so in December, but in the intervening 8 weeks, I am interested to know how to protect Windows.

Thanks!

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st November 2010, 15:32   #2
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

It's a constant race between the bad guys and the AV writers; maybe on this occasion the virus got through before McAfee had been updated to recognise it. (And, once the virus is in, infecting 2500 files in no time is what they do).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st November 2010, 18:48   #3
miketoll

It is not pointless to have protection from a firewall and a security product despite getting a couple of viruses. How many more did not get through in the past? Don't believe all the hype about Apple either, they are not immune even if under less attack than Windows and there are other ways to attack you like phishing attempts to which everybody is open.
Old Monday 1st November 2010, 22:57   #4
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks, guys. Yes, I suppose it is a constant battle, and yes, I guess other nasties were stopped, but I don't want any at all!

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st November 2010, 23:37   #5
bkrownd

There is no perfect security. The best security measure is user education and vigilance. Also, it helps if you have one computer that is only used for the most serious and trusted things, and another expendable machine that you use for more questionable activities such as untrusted web sites, testing shared files and graphical e-mail or webmail. If it gets infected, simply wipe it and re-install.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd November 2010, 07:27   #6
alan_rymer

In my experience McAfee is not very good in stopping virus attacks at this time. I am currently working at a large company as I.T. support and we get laptops in frequently with Virus/Trojan/Malware problems which McAfee has not and does not pick up.To check for, and remove these, we tend to use tools available free on the web. But it often comes down to a rebuild. I have ID'd a couple of these Trojans by accidentally infecting my usb stick and bringing it home and having AVG, or Avast finding and removing something that an updated McAfee didn't.
It says something when I will not log onto any website that requires my personal passwords at work!

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Yellow Browed Warbler 27/10/18

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th November 2010, 02:02   #7
phil baber
artist for birds

AVG and Malwarebytes are free.

Download and try them. They will pick up a Hornet's Nest for you!

PS Don't download anything, or click on anything with .exe after it. Unless you know it is absolutely trustworthy!

Last edited by phil baber : Saturday 6th November 2010 at 02:08.
Old Saturday 6th November 2010, 10:10   #8
GR Triever

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_rymer View Post
In my experience McAfee is not very good in stopping virus attacks at this time.
Exactly.

Two apps I can recommend, in addition to the previously mentioned AVG and Malwarebytes, are Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton 360 (who's very nicely cleaned up their product).
Old Thursday 18th November 2010, 20:37   #9
Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR Triever View Post
Exactly.

Two apps I can recommend, in addition to the previously mentioned AVG and Malwarebytes, are Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton 360 (who's very nicely cleaned up their product).
I had AVG on my last computer which was perfectly satisfactory but my new one had Avira already installed which seems even better. It updates & scans more quickly and when I checked last night what threats it had prevented in the last few weeks I was well impressed
'
Old Friday 19th November 2010, 17:54   #10
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR Triever View Post
Exactly.

After many years of subscription protection I've settled on MalwareBytes, Spybot and incredibly Microsoft Security Essentials.
I never thought I'd rely on Microsoft for anything but after putting MSE on my Netbook it's now on everything including PCs at work.

Also highly impressed with Live Mail - I'd avoided it until it came installed on a new Windows 7 PC.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: