• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closeup Temminck (Japanese) Cormorant definitely? (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Hi!
I manage to get good enough shots I think for Cormorants,
off the cape in Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan.

Can anyone verify they are definitely Temminck's?
They appear to have the vertical yellow behind the eye.
If i am mistaken and they are Great Cormorants,
could someone please help me to understand what I am missing?

Very much appreciated!

Jeff |:d|

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 40
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 44
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 41
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 42
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi Jeff, me again!

I was leaving off until others had a chance, but no-one has come. As I said in the previous threads about cormorants, I have already spilled whatever expertise I have (less than I hoped) on BF.

I'm thinking that these are not five different birds, but one or two birds shot in a sequence.

If you look at your photo #4, I think you can see the absolutely classic Temminck's face and head. The small amount of yellow behind the eye in a vertical stripe which then goes sharply backwards starting in a line from the bill centre, and then reversing in a clear concave line under the bill. The total amount of yellow is not great. Also the head appears smaller (thinner?) than the neck which is something I've noticed on Temminck's seen at the right angle.

And the other photos seems to fall into the same pattern (#5 is presumably the same bird as #4, and maybe #3 also (although here the vertical yellow behind the eye looks thicker and not so clear), so I'm happy with them all being Temminck's.

But to my eye at least, the 'sheen' on the bird looks more like bronze, not the supposed green sheen on Temminck's that Brazil mentions. I think you actually can see this distinction in certain lights, but in my experience it's not a good feature in an individual photo (or perhaps a clear green sheen would indicate Temminck's, but a bronze-ish sheen doesn't rule it out).

Anyway, I'm happy with these being Temminck's. After all, they are supposed to be the normal cormorant in Hokkaido - though as I said before, I'm not at all convinced that they are as exclusive as Brazil - and Hokkaido Stu - claim.

I'm hoping that Mark Brazil's 'Birds of Japan' coming out in August (I don't know Mark personally, though I did exchange e-mails with him a couple of times a few years ago) will not be just 'Birds of East Asia' with the birds that don't come to Japan edited out, but will actually have (some, anyway) updated information (for example, I have seen Shelduck in Hidaka in November but Brazil doesn't mark it for Hokkaido or Honshu at all), and (some, anyway) added information (e.g. the likely months to see migratory species, significantly more detail on locations for species in Japan, maybe even preferred foods and moulting seasons).

Well, we'll see.

HTH

HTH Mac,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can understand much better, given what you are saying, and what i read in Brazil's book. I didn't have good enough pics before, but now it makes sense to me what you are sharing in knowledge. Thank you so much for that. Yes, the sheen is quite difficult. I did buy a spotting scope to see if I can see Comorants more clearly. The wind has been a bit much, so I will try again when it dies down.
Thanks again! :D

Jeff :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back