• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The P1000 is big (1 Viewer)

Got very lucky today, went up on the dunes by the beach and parked up on a high spot, Wound the window down and spotted three little brown birds about 45 mtrs away. Zoomed in and Eureka!!! Snow buntings!!!

https://flic.kr/p/2d8bejt best of the bunch.

They gradually worked closer and I had hopes they would get to within a few yards, but a dog walker came past and scared them off. I waited another hour and then left.

EDIT seems to have been Skylarks!

Den

Last edited:
Oh dear, and I was so excited. Do tell what it is please,

Seems it is a Skylark Still a first for me..

Den

Last edited:
Stephen, looks like 6.3 on some of my pics. 5.6 at 1800 as well and in sun today 7.1 at 2400

Had a play with the Aperture settings and I was getting f5 at 500mm, f5.6 at 1000mm, f6.3 at 2000mm and f7.1 at 2600mm. finally f8 at 3000mm. Got the same with auto setting and bird setting.

There is a "bar" limiting the range in Aperture setting so it seems the camera does the same in all other zoom levels.

Den

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir, Most of the 20 are good shots as well. Sun shone from behind me, Owl performed well and camera did its job. Straightforward Bird setting 800mm,no messing about with the settings. Maybe next time I will zoom out just a bit more to about 1000 or 1200.
Den

Last edited:
Thank you kind sir, Most of the 20 are good shots as well. Sun shone from behind me, Owl performed well and camera did its job. Straightforward Bird setting 800mm,no messing about with the settings. Maybe next time I will zoom out just a bit more to about 1000 or 1200.
Den

Excellent photos of the SEO. Haven't managed to get a decent BIF shot yet on the p1000, but thats given me encouragement 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back