Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The P1000 is big

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 18:07   #176
kennethwfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
Another Nuthatch pic

https://flic.kr/p/2eYhsbd

and I was quite pleased with this, https://flic.kr/p/24oBUpT

Den
I'm planning on some new camera gear in the next 6 to 9 months, and on the basis of this, am considering the P1000. I'm viewing your image on a 25" calibrated NEC monitor, zoomed in so from beak tip to LH wingbase is about 6" and cannot see any image degredation.

Those who have been on this site a while may recall that I championed the Fuji HS50, now I find IQ of this camera just not good enough.

Yes, the P1000 is big. The lens cap is 77mm, the same size as a Canon 100-400mm.

On eBay, someone is selling the P1000 for 620, being Swiss, I wonder whether this is a grey import.

Also, when the camera runs out of buffer, then refusing to take any more pictures until images are written to card. Any recommended fast cards?

Last edited by kennethwfd : Thursday 27th June 2019 at 18:11.
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 15:54   #177
Louis_P
Average Birder

I'm in the same position as you Kenneth. Do note that the picture of the Nuthatch wasn't using all of the zoom, in fact in 35mm format, it was using 1300mm or the available 3000mm. The quality still is quite impressive. As far as I am aware, images do lose quite a bit of quality at full zoom as previously said and shown in photos although, for record shots, photos at 3000mm could be a game changer for me as long as the quality is half decent.

Of course, it's big. If I were you, I would go to a local photographic store (mine is Wex) and actually try carrying the P1000 around the store to see how heavy it is, preferably using a bag/neck strap that you plan to use in the field.

The one on Ebay is almost certainly a grey import. Grey imports have warranty, customs and ethics issues so personally, I would never buy one but it's up to you on whether you buy it.

Regarding memory cards, the P1000 supports UHS-I SD cards. I would recommend this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext...f=sr_1_fkmr0_1 as it has fast write speeds of up to 90MB/s. I would be interested to hear which one Den is using, as maybe that could be a reason behind the buffer problem.

Hope this helps,
Louis
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 19:35   #178
poledark

Hi Louis, re the "buffer problem" it is/was all down to my impatience. Trying to fire off a second burst to soon. Doesn't happen now as I am aware that there is a short delay after firing off a burst of 7, and generally only fire off 2 or 3 shots. I also had the same "problem" with my P900 :) Maybe this happens with any camera if you don't give it time to clear the buffer? I have no experience of any others.
I am using manual a lot, especially long range birds on the ground/island, one thing where the 1000 scores really well. in fact, I have come to realise just what an asset it is to be able to switch a button and then a quick turn of the ring and the peaking tells me when to fire off the shutter.

Yes it is a lump but that is down to the huge lens, but if you want the ability to get really good shots at long range then you will have to suffer that no matter what combination you buy.

Memory card is a Sandisc Extreme pro 128.

Just for the record, I got a burst of 7 with an Egyptian goose flying straight at me, I swung the camera around and picked it up at about 120 yards away and all the shots were sharp.

https://flic.kr/p/2grbQVh 216mm 1/1000sec Iso 140 and F4.5 Shutter priority

This one at about 80 yds https://flic.kr/p/2grbSMP 1100mm 1/1000sec F5.6 ISO 160

the Gull was defending its chicks, but I think the Egret just wanted to say hello :)

I have to say the P1000 is a joy to use...………...

Den

Last edited by poledark : Thursday 4th July 2019 at 20:01.
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 00:02   #179
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

Trying to upload a few pics from Peru
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_611.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	699117  
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 00:13   #180
Martin Smyth

Another hummer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_612.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	699119  
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 00:50   #181
Martin Smyth

These Photos are Re-sized for BF, but are actually very sharp on my MacBook
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_61f.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	699123  
Old Saturday 6th July 2019, 01:00   #182
Martin Smyth

Storming Tanager
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_622.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	699124  
Old Thursday 18th July 2019, 06:15   #183
Louis_P
Average Birder

Thanks for the help Den. You are clearly taking some good pictures with the camera. I have two questions though:

Have you got some photos taken at full zoom?
How good is close focussing whilst using zoom?

Thanks,
Louis

Edit - At full zoom, the close focus is apparently 7m, have you got any photos taken at full zoom on a subject 7m away?

Last edited by Louis_P : Thursday 18th July 2019 at 06:18.
Old Thursday 18th July 2019, 13:36   #184
poledark

Hi Louis, some pics for you exif can be checked on pics.

https://flic.kr/p/2gBq5eS
https://flic.kr/p/2gBpsnv
https://flic.kr/p/2gBq4Uy
Took these just now, overcast, hand held 1/800 measured 7 mtrs.

This in good sun 320mtrs full zoom, hand held.

https://flic.kr/p/2eH3cLt

Hope they help you. Just out of interest I played around with a clock face at 5 mtrs and got focus at 2200mm, this filled the frame with an area of about 150mm X 150mm of the clock face.

Den
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:35   #185
kennethwfd

Thanks for reply. Are people shooting in RAW or JPEG?. I would not consider a JPEG only camera.

AS for the size - fine. My current birding rig is 7dii with grip and 100 - 400 lens, so size doesn't bother me
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 06:17   #186
Louis_P
Average Birder

Thanks for the photos, they definitely help and your photos make the camera more tempting everytime. The detail on the pig at is stunning, not something I would expect at full zoom and with the camera handheld!

Thanks once again,
Louis
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 06:19   #187
Louis_P
Average Birder

Hello Kenneth,

The camera does shoot RAW and JPEG images.

Hope this helps,
Louis
Old Friday 26th July 2019, 07:10   #188
kennethwfd

Anyone shooting RAW here or are these JPEGS? I am aware that when using Bird mode on the P1000, the camera will only shoot JPEG.
Old Friday 26th July 2019, 12:04   #189
poledark

All my shots are JPEG, rarely need to "fix" any shots, but I only view them on a pc or print up to A4. There is a sometimes useful in camera fix if a bit underexposed, and of course you can crop in camera.

I know I have said this before, but you can't really compare the 1000 with any other camera, and it should only be looked at on its own merits, and to be honest, I've not found it wanting in any situation, even BIF if you get familiar with getting "on the bird". The snap back function can assist here but there is a delay as the zoom returns after finding the bird, I set mine on the shortest setting and sometimes get a reasonable shot. Personally not a lover of flinging the camera about trying to get a small BIF, but setting at 1/1000 in shutter priority I have had a degree of success as a bird takes off.

Used as a scope it outperforms most binoculars especially when you reach out 100mtrs or more. it becomes quite normal to be viewing small birds at 50mtrs and almost filling the frame and getting a nice shot.

Den
Old Friday 9th August 2019, 09:53   #190
kennethwfd

A good review here

This does detail that the P1000 will only take seven shots before the buffer is full and become unresponsive, Snapchick says this taught her to anticipate before pressing the shutter button for a burst (aka spray and pray)

Also, this is the first review I've seen to cover the camera's macro capablities. For me, this comes down to "filling the frame" as well as distant shots. I've taken many a picture with the 7d2 and 100 - 400 lens, will obvoiusly be better than a bridge camera, but the Marsh Harrier about 1/4 mile away, all the shots more at home in the "identify the bird" thread. So, I hope around 1800mm a lightly cropped P1000 image will be better than a heavily cropped 640mm 7d2. There is also the issue of a wild bird's circle of fear, get too close, and off it goes

The camera has also been reviewed in Camercraft, the inhouse publication of the Guild of Photographers. There are indeed quality issues at extreme zoom, but this shows how far digital camera technology has advanced in that 10 years ago, the same issues were apparent in top of the range DSLR's, and 20 years ago the digital camera was seen as a novelty, 35mm film for the serious photographer

cost. The camera has reduced in price to about 900, and I've seen a few second hand

Last edited by kennethwfd : Friday 9th August 2019 at 09:58.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 08:09   #191
poledark

A pretty good review, but why no mention of the super easy accurate manual function? In a later review maybe? Just done some tests using just JPEG and the buffer time is about 3 secs after a burst of 7. I don't use Raw and certainly don't use Raw and JPEG together.

I would have liked to see more "direct" comparisons (just out of interest)

Den
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 13:32   #192
kennethwfd

This photo from Nikon's website re the P1000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1000-sample-photography-2-003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	702178  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread