Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in Ulaan Baator area - Mongolia

Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 08:47   #1
Semiramis

Birding in Ulaan Baator area - Mongolia

Hi

I will have a full day to do some birding in/around Ulaan Baator.
I won't have time to go to Terelj.

From reading trip reports and some blog I found several areas that might interesting for birding:

1. Mongolica Hotel and surroundings - this appears to be the best spot for a decent variety of species
2. Songino area : is this the same as Mongolica Hotel? It appears so. Or is this the actual mountain?
3. Airport pools : where is this? I can't find them on Google Earth.
4. Bhogd Khan : there appear to be a number of entry roads south of UB. Which area are recommended? Or is there no point going there in August? Too quiet maybe.
5. Sewage Treatment Plant. Where is this exactly and is it still worth going there?
6. Tuul River - Which stretch is usually the best?

7. Zuun Mod / Manzushir Monastery: worth visiting for birds? is the monastery area open to the public?

Of are there other sites worth visiting? I get the impression that city parks are not (or no longer) very rewarding for birding. What about Amgalan botanical garden? Nobody seems to go there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards,

Jeff
Old Tuesday 25th June 2019, 16:12   #2
Seth Miller

I don't know anything about birding there, but have you looked at eBird for that region?
https://ebird.org/subnational1/MN-1?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

I find eBird to be very helpful for figuring out what birds are seen when and where.
Here's a link with the hotspots for the region. https://ebird.org/subnational1/MN-1/hotspots
You can access Googe Maps locations from them. Hope this helps a bit at least. :)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: