• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Birding Trip planned (1 Viewer)

MelissaM

Hey everyone! Hope you all are having a great 2009! I've only been really interested in birding since the end of 2006 and I love it. This weekend I have my first Birding trip planned to Reelfoot Lake here in Tennessee. The state park there does tours to see the Bald Eagles and other water fowl. I am so nervous and excited both. I am sure there will be experienced birders there as well as people there to just see the eagles. Any advice or tips would be helpful. I have printed off a list of birds that I can expect to see in that area. It will be very cold so I have selected my boots and some thermals to help stay warm. I am just so excited that I had to share my news. My boyfriend of 9 months is going with me. He isn't a birder but he shares my interest of the outdoors and he is trying to learn with me. I am just a beginner myself. I have so VERY much to learn. Thanks for reading. Wish me luck! Melissa

It sounds great Melissa. My tip is, keep a small note book & pen in your pocket, It's a good way of keeping track of your observations & nice to look back on.
Enjoy your trip :t:

Good luck with the trip Melissa. Most birders are pretty friendly especially as it's an organised trip you'll probably love it. Sounds like you'll be fine and good luck with seeing bald eagles...they're pretty amazing!

Joanne

Great Trip

This was the best trip. I saw 15 eagles on Saturday plus several different waterfowl. Then on Sunday I saw about 12 eagles and many more waterfowl. If the weather had been not so windy the trip would have been perfect but was great anyway. I definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of going.:t:

This was the best trip. I saw 15 eagles on Saturday plus several different waterfowl. Then on Sunday I saw about 12 eagles and many more waterfowl. If the weather had been not so windy the trip would have been perfect but was great anyway. I definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of going.:t:

Great Melissa. Were they all bald eagles or did you see any golden eagles as well? What else did you see; which ducks and geese?

I didnt see any golden eagles. They were all bald eagles. Also saw Northern Harriers and Red-Tailed Hawks.

I saw Bufflehead, American Coot, Mallards, Lesser Scaup, and Northern Shovelers.

I also saw Ring-Billed gulls and White American Pelicans and Great Blue Herons. I think I saw a Green Heron too but not definitely sure.

Finally got some good pics of an American Kestrel.

Sounds like a great trip Melissa! Keep us posted on future outings. If you are ever heading over to east Tennessee drop me a note and I will help you with our birding spots.

Thanks Bob, sure thing. I've driven up to Spring Hill, TN to the GM plant to try and spot the Snowy Owl thats been reported up there but havent been able to see him. Been up there the past 4 weekends with no luck. Oh well I saw him on the news though but I would love to see him in person.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back