• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ-200 (1 Viewer)

Looks like something's wrong with your sensor - although I note all this were in spot metering mode - have you tried the others?
Sean

I'll try another metering mode, but I use Spot on most other cameras w/o issue. I might do better with metering a broader area, particularly on butterflies and similar subjects.

This is incredibly useful. Why didn't I know about it before ? Thanks, John.

I've had my FZ-150 for the best part of a year, now, and haven't yet seen anything on here to want to make me spend another £400 as soon as- especially when it produces images such as:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=403981&d=1347214488

and: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=403698&d=1347114655

It would be really useful if more folks who've upgraded from the 150 to the 200 relate their conclusions.

I am prepared, however, to change my view, if/when convincing evidence is produced. The improved shots in lower light conditions (could we have some of these, please?) would be an obvious bonus, for example. And October is fast approaching, with its Sibes (with any luck!) lurking in misty woods, etc.

I'll try another metering mode, but I use Spot on most other cameras w/o issue. I might do better with metering a broader area, particularly on butterflies and similar subjects.

I just left a couple of messages on your Flickr site, but I thought that all the butterflies/moths? were excellent, only the very first (yellow butterfly) was a trifle soft. I can't see why you shouldn't keep using spot focus, its the most logical for small subjects like the ones you took.

This is incredibly useful. Why didn't I know about it before ? Thanks, John.

I've had my FZ-150 for the best part of a year, now, and haven't yet seen anything on here to want to make me spend another £400 as soon as- especially when it produces images such as:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=403981&d=1347214488

and: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=403698&d=1347114655

It would be really useful if more folks who've upgraded from the 150 to the 200 relate their conclusions.

I am prepared, however, to change my view, if/when convincing evidence is produced. The improved shots in lower light conditions (could we have some of these, please?) would be an obvious bonus, for example. And October is fast approaching, with its Sibes (with any luck!) lurking in misty woods, etc.

I have an FZ150 as well and have the FZ200 on order, hopefully I''ll get it next week. My reasons for buying it were better low light performance, ie birds under foliage. Faster AF and better viewfinder. I'm not expecting any better image quality over the FZ150, just better images under certain lighting conditions, which should add to its versatility. By the way, superb bird images. The FZ150 does give great images.

Last edited:
I have an FZ150 as well and have the FZ200 on order, hopefully I''ll get it next week. My reasons for buying it were better low light performance, ie birds under foliage. Faster AF and better viewfinder. I'm not expecting any better image quality over the FZ150, just better images under certain lighting conditions, which should add to its versatility. By the way, superb bird images. The FZ150 does give great images.

Low light performance plus EVF improvements might make me switch as well. But I'm in no rush at this point. The FZ 150 keeps amazing me, not least when it comes to taking videos. These tend to come out better in low light that still pictures.

starling

This I feel is a good example of the color/sharpness of the fz200. I was in the car and spotted this lovely molting starling and clicked on ap priority. in sunlight this is a fantastic camera.

Attachments

• P1000132.JPG
    P1000132.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 977
My reasons for buying it were better low light performance, ie birds under foliage.

This situation is what often frustrates me when using my P&S Canon. I'm unwilling, as yet, to go to a DSLR so the FZ200 is appealing. For birds to be photgraphed through the foliage, however, I'd like to see a manual focus that is effective and user friendly.
Has anyone who currently owns one of these tempting cameras tried the manual focus?
Thanks to all who have participated and posted photos. This has been excellent content for me.

Steve

Promising reports so far!

One of the most frustrating things about the FZ150 is that the camera reverts to the default setting for the autofocus area when it is switched on or wakes from sleep mode.

Have they stopped this on the FZ200?

Cheers

Promising reports so far!

One of the most frustrating things about the FZ150 is that the camera reverts to the default setting for the autofocus area when it is switched on or wakes from sleep mode.

Have they stopped this on the FZ200?

Cheers

I also find this frustrating, and no it's the shame they haven't fixed it in the FZ200.

My reasons for buying it were better low light performance, ie birds under foliage. Faster AF and better viewfinder. By the way, superb bird images.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Yes: the viewfinder is, in very bright sun, sometimes impossible to see through. Seems to defeat (and certainly renders invisible) the object, really.

I'd like to see a manual focus that is effective and user friendly.
Has anyone who currently owns one of these tempting cameras tried the manual focus?

Looking at the “Operating Instructions”, the Manual Focus still seems to be fiddly and impractical. Has anyone used this on a bird flicking about, at quickly changing distances and with intervening foliage ?

When will they return to the lovely barrel focus of my dearly departed FZ-50 ?

Attempting manual focus on the FZ-200 seems a completely waste of time to me, though other users may have persevered longer with it than I have? Am convinced it'll cost me some record shots whereby I have to focus through branches, grass, foliage etc.

Very first impressions

In my first "find anything to shoot" trial runs (an ugly molting crow, an ugly molting duck, and a lovely invasive, verminous dove), image quality certainly seems adequate, especially in relatively bright light. I'll post more after I fiddle with the controls a bit. I have not tried manual focus because I couldn't figure out how to do it; the manual instructions are not all that they could be in that regard.

I tried some low light ISO100 pics which did not come out, but I was hand-holding at 600mm and 1/15; I expect there's no reason to believe that I should be able to do that with this camera any more than I should be able to do it with a DSLR.

All of these images are as they came out of the camera- no post-processing except for a crop here and there. All are at full zomm (600mm) except the first duck shot. The two duck shots are meant to give a sense of the power of the zoom; the first is at 25mm and the second is at 600mm. Light for all the birds was bright hurt-your-eyes mid-day sun.

Attachments

• P1020008 small.jpg
    P1020008 small.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 342
  • P1020055 small.jpg
    P1020055 small.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 440
  • P1020066 small.jpg
    P1020066 small.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 456
  • P1020067 small.jpg
    P1020067 small.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 626
  • P1020176 small.jpg
    P1020176 small.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
batteries?

I have an FZ150 as well and have the FZ200 on order, hopefully I''ll get it next week. ........

Do the two cameras have compatible batteries, or at least chargers? I seem to remember that the batteries they come with are not identical. But I wonder whether they can be used on both anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back