• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide app (1 Viewer)

I was going to download this app but it says its optimized for iphone 5 and I have just the 4.

Does it still work on the 4 guys?

Collins Bird Guide

Hi all,
Well I have downloaded the app and it looks to be really useful. I'm just wondering how to find instructions about how to add birds to the lifetime list and also how to add lists. Am I missing something obvious
Phil

Hi all,
Well I have downloaded the app and it looks to be really useful. I'm just wondering how to find instructions about how to add birds to the lifetime list and also how to add lists. Am I missing something obvious
Phil

There's a "tick" after each species. Click on this, and you get to add it to one of your existing lists, or create a new list.

Just got this app for my new iphone 6 plus and have to say I'm pretty impressed. It seems to fit the new size screen well.

I also bought 'Birds of East Asia' by Mark Brazil (an ibook rather than an app) which is far more fiddly to use and rather slow to turn pages etc.

An update has just been release featuring Improved text search, better video playback on iPhone, lots of pesky bugs squashed and many small improvements. Oh and good news - German and French versions will be along very soon.

There is another in app purchase which gives videos of the remaining birds in the bird guide called 'Video library 3: Rare & Vagrant Species'.

Thats all 794 species that have a video now. After buying the app and all the in app purchases it works out quite expensive but it would be a nice christmas present.

Regards Gerard.

How to create a life list

I have been trying to create a life list on the new Collins bird guide app but could not find out how to add birds to it. Any help? I am new to this site and am only twelve.

I have been trying to create a life list on the new Collins bird guide app but could not find out how to add birds to it. Any help? I am new to this site and am only twelve.
Hi Joel. Welcome to BF. Click on a species group. Under each bird is a description and a "tick". Click on this. I'm not sure how you see your whole list in one place though.

Rich

Is this app for iPhone/ipad users only as I'm on android?

This happens with several birding apps, but I think that now Collins is the only "major" birding app that is still not available for Android. With Android having about 80% of the market share, it's a choice you have to question. I guess they, too, will adjust eventually. After all, it took them more than 10 years to move away from the PDA platform...

This happens with several birding apps, but I think that now Collins is the only "major" birding app that is still not available for Android. With Android having about 80% of the market share, it's a choice you have to question. I guess they, too, will adjust eventually. After all, it took them more than 10 years to move away from the PDA platform...

Many of us are waiting for an Android version, but it seems stuck in limbo.
The website for the iCollins builders makes it clear that they are an Apple shop, period.
They take pride in being one of the very first Iphone apps offered and seem only concerned about serving the Apple community, not the Android one.
Furthermore, it is unclear who actually holds the rights to a digital Collins, possibly Apple has an interest presently.
Logically, there is need for an Android friendly Collins alternative. Perhaps eventually the European bird guide scene will evolve from its current Collins monopoly situation to something more like the US experience, where there are at least 4 excellent guides vying for the customers nod.
I hope this happens soon, but see no hopeful signs as yet.

http://www.natursidan.se/nyheter/spikat-datum-forfagelguiden-som-app-i-augusti/

The first entry of this post says "Uppdaterat 15 augusti: Bonnier skickade idag ut ett nyhetsbrev där det står att ”arbetet med att ta fram en version av Fågelguiden till Android pågår”, which, if I got it right, means that in August 2015, Bonnier (the Swedish publisher of the original version of the Svensson guide) sent out a newsletter mentionning that work on a Android version is in progress.

Good news, if true. Perhaps anyone knowing Swedish can find out more?

Your link did not work for me, but I would translate the quote you included the same way you do

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back