• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Panasonic G80 or 85 ? (1 Viewer)

nikonmike

A few new cameras at the moment,i like the look of this one.

16.0MP 4/3 type Live MOS sensor
A low-pass filter-less
The body 5-axis camera shake correction
Incorporating the new gyro-sensor technology “Dual IS MK II”
Up to five stages of the anti-shake effect
DFD technology
Dust and water, magnesium body
Video: 4K30p, FullHD60p
ISO Sensitivity: 200-25600
Continuous shooting: up to 9 frames / sec.
EVF: 236 Man 1.48 times dot OLED (35mm equivalent 0.74 times)
The rear monitor: 3-inch 1.04 million dot, Free Angle
Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card
5-axis camera shake correction is also available in 4K video
New shutter unit with reduced noise reduction by 90% vibration compared to G7
Smartphone can be connected via Wi-fi
Approximately 10% of the resolution by the low-pass less of the sensor improvement
Contrast AF is further faster, more accurately
Selectable focus select function the focus position from later
The front of the frame is full magnetic shim die-cast
Adopted grip a thick, designed in terms of ergonomics
Time lag of the EVF is less than 0.01 seconds, 10000: 1 high contrast
Eye point of the finder is 20mm

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-full-specs-new-panasonic-g80/

The supposedly full press release text has been leaked: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-full-gx85-lx10-fz2500-press-text-leaked/

What I am most curious about is the capabilities of AF, if this will be great of if the GH5 will be far ahead (but much later to arrive).

I am also curious about the naming. They give the two digit number to this one (which should indicate a slightly less capable model than a single digit number). Will there be a single digit G model, or is the single digit reserved for the GH?

Niels

Last edited:
The supposedly full press release text has been leaked: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-full-gx85-lx10-fz2500-press-text-leaked/

What I am most curious about is the capabilities of AF, if this will be great of if the GH5 will be far ahead (but much later to arrive).

I am also curious about the naming. They give the two digit number to this one (which should indicate a slightly less capable model than a single digit number). Will there be a single digit G model, or is the single digit reserved for the GH?

Niels

This naming convention is new for them (or a copy of Canikon), so for me clearly the new "single digit" G will be the GH5, and so they now have the lines :

- Top DSLR style line : GH single digit (if they don't remove the H)
- "entry" DSLR style line : G double digit
- Top rangefinder line : GX single digit
- "entry" range finder line : GX double digit

Plus the GM GF lines if they keep them ...

I also wonder about the AF, hoping to get reviews soon, to decide to replace my G6 with it or not.

Very favorable review of the G80/85 on DP Review (84% Gold award):

"In terms of performance, ergonomics and capability, the Panasonic G85 is the camera I will be recommending to enthusiasts for the foreseeable future. Here is why: It is the most compelling and complete Panasonic camera on the market (until the GH5). I said this when I first reviewed the rangefinder-style GX85 (a very similar camera), but the G85 takes everything a step forward."

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/8

And it lists for $1100 less than the EM-1 mk II!

Thanks for sharing this! To me it will all come down to AF performance with a long lens which camera I end up with.

Niels

Must admit its moving up the list as my second camera,for a short while i dreamt of a EM1 MK11,or a EM1 but i think having Panasonic lenses it may well be better for me to stick with there focus system.

Just got the G80 on loan for a few days,naturally the weather is rubbish,did get out on the front and took cars going past at 25/30mph,the focusing looks great doing cars,coming towards me or going away.
Hopefully i will get out birding in the next few days if so i will report back and upload a few images with the 100-400.

Wow what a camera,i will post more images and a few thoughts but here are three for now,not able to get subjects of interest to bird watchers so i took what i could.

G80 100-400

Attachments

• P1020477.jpg
    P1020477.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 347
  • P1020538.jpg
    P1020538.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 348
  • P1020535.jpg
    P1020535.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 334
Its early days yet but for me the G80 handles better,600 shots and I didnt catch a button on the back and change a setting once (I think this happens to me because of the way I have to hold the GX8 while zooming the 100-400).T he buttons on the back are not as prominent this could help me though some may find it a fiddle to press them.

After all the years with DSLRs the G80 does feel more natural with the EVF in the middle and more usable in fast moving situations.

The EVF is not as large a view as the GX8 but I bet I will forget this unless I use a GX8 again,it doesn't tilt this I will miss.

EVF refresh rate is as far as I can see the same but have not tried them side by side.

Image IQ is in my opinion better on the G80 but you do lose pixels for cropping,and I guess I could have had some SS situations with the GX8 the G80 shutter is very quiet

AFC looks to be better on the G80,i know it shouldn't be but I can only say it as I see it,there is a setting for adjusting how fast the camera decides to refocus in AFC, 0 is standard and you have -2 and +2 I have set it on +2 for faster.

I like the separate card slot,a small thing but as you get older and lose some dexterity its just easier in a separate slot.

mike

Thats my first thoughts,i have not had chance to do many small birds in bushes or on sticks so its mainly testing for camera reaction speed,more samples though.

Attachments

• P1020859.jpg
    P1020859.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 324
  • P1020365.jpg
    P1020365.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 289
  • P1020725.jpg
    P1020725.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 319
Mike,
thanks for these thoughts. Are you far enough to where you can talk more about the usability of c-AF overall on this camera? Do you have a lot of out of focus shots in between or a high keeper rate, etc?

Niels

Mike,
thanks for these thoughts. Are you far enough to where you can talk more about the usability of c-AF overall on this camera? Do you have a lot of out of focus shots in between or a high keeper rate, etc?

Niels

I can say at this point though more testing will occur when both the weather and i pick up a bit ime happy with what it does.
I will include a link to another forum where i posted 9 shots of a gull coming towards me,none have been missed out and the last one shows its OOF due to me as the focus point was in the center and the gull isnt.
Ignore the quality as i have not got the camera tweaked yet and the images should have been dumped
As we both know these things are not DSLRs but after showing the gull samples to an EM1 owner he thinks it easily matches the EM performance.

http://cameraswithoutmirrors.com/threads/caf-results-on-the-g80-bif.1053/#post-9373

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back