• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Always used 10x but thinking about switching to 8x (1 Viewer)

Barry:

That is good common sense thinking. There is no all around preferred size for every use.

They all have their place.

Jerry

Yup. I let the Canon 10x42 IS-L and the Swaro SLC HD 8x56 fight it out and the big Swaro just killed the Canon for veiling glare, CA, on-axis sharpness and especially low light performance. I buried it on Ebay. It was a quick and painless death. I guess it wasn't fair the Canon being a lightweight and the Swaro a heavyweight. I find at 8x I don't need IS and the big Swaro was the first binocular I have tried that beat the view of the Canon. Even the 10x50 SV couldn't do it.

I do not know what to say other than may the mighty Canon rest in peace. Thanks for the update.

As to the original post on switching to an 8X, it depends. If the user can not hold a 10X, then it makes since to forget about the 10X and go with an 8X. Otherwise I am in Barry's camp. There are a variety of situations where one is a better choice than the other. Since our OP already has a 10X, then it makes sense to have some choice and go with the 8X especially considering the success in using the 8X32.

I have 8X and 10X in the same model lines and which I use depends on the "type" of viewing planned and the "mood" I am in that day. Both powers work for me. It is nice to have the choice.

Earlier today I took some out of town relatives to the local riparian. I gave them all 8X since they were new to this activity and new to binoculars. (8X32 Natura, 8X32 Guide, 8X42 Monarch HG.) If I had not been with them, I would have taken either the 8X42 MHG or an 8X42 Zeiss SF for the general viewing I enjoy at this site. Instead I used a Tract Toric I 10X42. The responsibility was on me to locate the birds in the cover and then to make the ID so that "type" of viewing lent itself to the 10X. I had a choice of 10s to choose but I was in the "mood" for the Toric mainly because it is newer to me and it has been fun using it.

I think you are better off with 8x and a good spotter. Spot them with the 8x and then move in for a close up with the spotter. For birding 8x is it.

There are places where carrying (and using) a scope doesn't make much sense. Try one of the migration hotspots with lots of bushes and so on for instance. You need to make the ID very quickly, and often you just don't have the time to use your scope. If you don't the bird may well be gone for good. That's where a 10x works better for me. Or on long hikes in the mountains where I don't want to carry a scope and a tripod all the time.

Hermann

There are places where carrying (and using) a scope doesn't make much sense. Try one of the migration hotspots with lots of bushes and so on for instance. You need to make the ID very quickly, and often you just don't have the time to use your scope. If you don't the bird may well be gone for good. That's where a 10x works better for me. Or on long hikes in the mountains where I don't want to carry a scope and a tripod all the time.

Hermann
That's a good point. Definitely don't want to carry a scope on long mountain hikes.

For the “only carry one tool” situations I still use my ageing canon 12x36 IS bins, good view, fairly wide and stable so you can pick out details easily.

Peter

I'm more inclined to notice the drop in FoV (usually) and exit pupil than i am the 2x change in magnification with 10x. It certainly doesn't seem enough of a change to dispense with the scope (when of course a scope is appropriate).
I bought a 10x in a sale just for the comparison, but have rarely taken it out.

I think a lot depends on whether you look for an increase in objective size also when you go 8x to 10x.

I learned all this the hard way as usual. I own three 10x lol. I'm back to the 7-8x. I even use 6x occasionally because I love the view and in hand feel in these Eagle Optics Rangers. Once I'm out in the field 7-8 seems almost identical and 8-10x for me is really mostly noticeable in comparison between the two in a test. I see more with a steady view. Sometimes I wonder how much money has gone into my learning curve in this life? I'll bet I could buy a second home lol. At least a small mobile home

Try the 8.5x42 Swarovski el, you may find it does the lot.

My thoughts as well. If you are not satisfied with 8, maybe 8.5 is what is what you need.

I am thinking about adding a 10x56 device, possibly Swaro SLC. I think 10x only makes sense with at least a 50mm objective.

I keep getting tempted with 10x, but have yet to pull the trigger, so have primarily a stable of 8x bins, with a few 7's, and a 6. I also have a well used pair of 15 x 50 IS Canon's that generally only come out at night..

My regular bird outing rig is an 8x bin, supplemented/augmented with a bridge camera, a Nikon p610 super zoom, which I use as a digital spotting scope when I cannot ID a distant bird with my bins. The camera weighs less than my binoculars. The image quality of extended viewing resides in the binoculars, not in the camera, btw. In that regard, a good scope would be a far superior instrument, but for a lightweight setup with a great range of useful, image stabilized magnification, it is effective. Plus its a darn good camera, if one is close enough to the bird!

I may still get a 10x, but with the camera, I'm getting roughly 25x optical magnification at the extreme end (zoom ratio is 60x), which a 10x bin doesn't really cover. I expect it will enhance viewing pleasure of closer objects a lot more than the distant ones, as odd as that may sound. Research is needed...

-Bill

Attachments

• vv.bb.jpg
    vv.bb.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 94
Sure, Bill, if you can hold a 10x steady, you will get more detail in closer objects than lesser powers, and it's why it's been my favorite for a while now for that reason. Of course, it can't compete with a spotting scope of so much higher magnification, nor with your camera either, except for the detail it provides at 10x in the bins.

But recently I just discovered how much detail you can miss, if you are not holding the 10x's steady-you can miss a lot, if so. I found out that 8x can still give you a great view, and very detailed as long as you are steady (and it's easier then too), but if you can't, then there's no advantage. So sure, go for 10x if you can control it effectively-and it will show you more detail, with a larger image. Especially for subjects that aren't very close, as you would expect. Even the closer ones in 10x will make a Dove look like a Pigeon! It's up to you what you want to see, and sometimes it's detail, and sometimes it's a wider field of view, but they do intermix at times depending on their specs and how they work for you.

Not to confuse, but add, I think there is a place for all the powers of bins-you just have to use them to find what they are best at for you. I don't think I would like to be without a 10x ever, unless I get the shakes and can't take advantage of the power increase they give. There are so many good ones out there to choose from, in even the lower ranges that you deserve to have at least one to use and discover their unique attributes they lend to the view. So yes, find a 10x you love, and you'll be glad you have it!

Very nice pic, now I see why so many are out with cameras these days. The zoom capabilities with resolution has improved.

A.W.

I keep getting tempted with 10x, but have yet to pull the trigger, so have primarily a stable of 8x bins, with a few 7's, and a 6. I also have a well used pair of 15 x 50 IS Canon's that generally only come out at night..

My regular bird outing rig is an 8x bin, supplemented/augmented with a bridge camera, a Nikon p610 super zoom, which I use as a digital spotting scope when I cannot ID a distant bird with my bins. The camera weighs less than my binoculars. The image quality of extended viewing resides in the binoculars, not in the camera, btw. In that regard, a good scope would be a far superior instrument, but for a lightweight setup with a great range of useful, image stabilized magnification, it is effective. Plus its a darn good camera, if one is close enough to the bird!

I may still get a 10x, but with the camera, I'm getting roughly 25x optical magnification at the extreme end (zoom ratio is 60x), which a 10x bin doesn't really cover. I expect it will enhance viewing pleasure of closer objects a lot more than the distant ones, as odd as that may sound. Research is needed...

-Bill

That is a very nice photo Bill! But, even if you can look at it on the small screen right then, or even later in large scale on the computer, you aren't seeing it in realtime in binoculars, so if you can use 10x without too much shake, then they are worth it to have and see through, in my opinion for that in the moment sensation. I don't know how you work it out in practical terms, except to carry one or the other, and just enjoy what you have at the time for the view they provide-that makes the most sense to me. Others do carry more than one bin, but that's not my idea of lightweight travel! I'm carrying enough just with me on my feet and back, than adding excess to the load.

Sure, many are younger and stronger here, and don't mind carrying more along the way. And if that is so, then the more the merrier, and I hope you do find a 10x you love as well. Do you wear glasses, Bill?

Bruce commented recently in another post that people are going birdwatching with ONLY cameras, and looking at the digital screen after the shot to see what they saw! Digital over analogue! I can't imagine this, nor do I ever want to be there. I'm fine for in the moment reality! Sure, I'll bring a camera, but that's only for birds that stand still for more than 20 seconds! Or other flora and fauna I come across.

Last edited:
That is a very nice photo Bill! But, even if you can look at it on the small screen right then, or even later in large scale on the computer, you aren't seeing it in realtime in binoculars, so if you can use 10x without too much shake, then they are worth it to have and see through, in my opinion for that in the moment sensation. I don't know how you work it out in practical terms, except to carry one or the other, and just enjoy what you have at the time for the view they provide-that makes the most sense to me. Others do carry more than one bin, but that's not my idea of lightweight travel! I'm carrying enough just with me on my feet and back, than adding excess to the load.

Sure, many are younger and stronger here, and don't mind carrying more along the way. And if that is so, then the more the merrier, and I hope you do find a 10x you love as well. Do you wear glasses, Bill?

Bruce commented recently in another post that people are going birdwatching with ONLY cameras, and looking at the digital screen after the shot to see what they saw! Digital over analogue! I can't imagine this, nor do I ever want to be there. I'm fine for in the moment reality! Sure, I'll bring a camera, but that's only for birds that stand still for more than 20 seconds! Or other flora and fauna I come across.

Barry and Dries, Thanks for the kind notes and observations. Regarding carrying 2 bins, as some folks here seem to do regularly, I'm not so inclined. In addition, I don't have any plans to go birding with a camera only. I also appreciate the in the moment, eye witness, and intimate view that a binocular can provide. The naked eye, of course, can do that as well, but the binoculars can be such an extraordinary enhancement to one's eyes, and subsequent viewing pleasure.

I currently think of a 10x as an 'augmented' 8x, usually at the cost of FOV and eye relief, but this is a specs on paper based opinion. I should just get a pair and use 'em for awhile, then decide. Meanwhile, an 8x and my little bridge camera make a good, lightweight combination. And, yes, I do wear glasses.

Regarding the photo, that Bluebird was probably no more than 25 feet away. I had a great view of it with my naked eyes. So, the question was preserve an image of it, or just drink it in while it lasts. What got me was the close value of the grey bg against the intense color of the bird. In addition, I could see the raindrops on the bird and that made it even more compelling to go for the camera over the bins.

I have birded with just bins and no camera, and have found it more immersive in some sense, because I'm not interrupting my viewing to take a picture. It can be more relaxing, I would say. Also, there's some sort of magic going on where getting the bird in frame and focussed seems to make the bird fly off... an unfathomably mysterious phenomena..

But I am learning a lot about birds by taking photos of them as well, so will keep at it.

Cheers,

Bill

I say with digital replacing film, (I was sort of apprehensive at first), but now such good resolution in small mid size/priced cameras, snap away. Most of the time I capture multiple pics, but about 10-15% are keepers and it does not cost me anything save the HD memory chip, which can hold 8 gigs.

Andy W.

Besides offering a greater FOV 8 power bins also offer a greater depth of view, which means much less (re)focussing when chasing birds at close range. I normally use 8 power bins but have lately been using 10X and this is one important difference I noticed.

George

I've come to realize 8.5 is the most I can comfortably handle. So it's either 8.5x42, or 8x42 or 8x50 for me.

Thinking about going from 8.5x42 EL to 8x42 Zeiss SF. Though if they introduce the 8x50 SF version, that is also very tempting.

For what it's worth I'm of the view if you feel the 'need' for a lower than 10 mag' set of bins best get one given of 7 power with your preffred objective diameter.

LGM

Hermann
Reservoirs where it is totally flat viewing up to a quarter of a mile away I,ve observed wildfowl or Identified them through a spotting scope 47x60 magnification or flocks of birds out in the open as long as the birds stationary enough and clear to see a spotting scope is second to none In some circumstances, but overall I much prefer useing a 8x30 Minocular yes you may lose out to magnification That is If you can hold them steady enough in such Environments, but what the 8x loses there you,ll be pleasantly surprised what it gains in others If your fully focused and ready a 8x will capture most detail at a given time and for a few ounces or more in weight I think that price is worth haveing.

Last edited:
I say with digital replacing film, (I was sort of apprehensive at first), but now such good resolution in small mid size/priced cameras, snap away. Most of the time I capture multiple pics, but about 10-15% are keepers and it does not cost me anything save the HD memory chip, which can hold 8 gigs.

Andy W.
Yes its made life a lot easier, cheaper, and convenient too Came just right for me, all the big hasselblad cameras and their Ilk where did they end up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back