• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazon phishing (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just to let members know, I've just had a VERY convincing looking message, purporting to be from Amazon, threatening account closure.

It's asks me to log on and it looks very real but I'm pretty certain it's not so beware anyone who gets a message like this.

If in doubt, forward the message to [email protected]

A

Last edited:
Many, many years ago I had something similar from ebay, telling me my account was about to be closed to to click the link provided to confirm that it was OK.

I didn't then (and still don't) have an ebay account.

And received similar from various banks I don't use.

Since then I've never clicked on any link provided in an email, even if I know it is from, say my bank, but go in to my account under my own steam.

Just to let members know, I've just had a VERY convincing looking message, purporting to be from Amazon, threatening account closure.

It's asks me to log on and it looks very real but I'm pretty certain it's not so beware anyone who get a message like this.

If in doubt, forward the message to [email protected]

A

If you get any message like that, exit it and go separately to log into your account the normal way. That way you can check whether there are actually any problems and then hopefully put the offending message into your junk folder.

Separately, the message will have a 'From' address, which will normally be some variant of the correct link, so it might be from 'amazonservice.com' as opposed to 'amazon.com'. Those fakes are often creative, in order to suggest a relationship that does not exist. If the message is not from the official site, it is best disregarded.

If you get any message like that, exit it and go separately to log into your account the normal way. That way you can check whether there are actually any problems and then hopefully put the offending message into your junk folder.

Separately, the message will have a 'From' address, which will normally be some variant of the correct link, so it might be from 'amazonservice.com' as opposed to 'amazon.com'. Those fakes are often creative, in order to suggest a relationship that does not exist. If the message is not from the official site, it is best disregarded.

Of course I'm familiar with this kind of e-mail but this one was very convincing. As an experiment only, I clicked the link offered, it took me to a very real looking login page which was flagged by my computer as none secure.

This particular e-mail will, catch people I'm sure, address at the top was Amazon.co.uk Customer Service

A

Last edited:
I use a different email address for every different forum so if I get an offer from say "amazon" but it's not to the address I use for them, I know it's spam.

Of course I'm familiar with this kind of e-mail but this one was very convincing. As an experiment only, I clicked the link offered, it took me to a very real looking login page which was flagged by my computer as none secure.

This particular e-mail will, catch people I'm sure, address at the top was Amazon.co.uk Customer Service

A

Clicking the link not a good idea under any circumstances, could well result in download of malware or other unpleasant consequences as well as the result apparent to you of reaching a fake login page. Can you be certain it hasn't?

John

Clicking the link not a good idea under any circumstances, could well result in download of malware or other unpleasant consequences as well as the result apparent to you of reaching a fake login page. Can you be certain it hasn't?

John

Pretty sure John,
I have decent security and ran several scans after I did it.

I certainly wouldn't have logged in as requested though.

A

Is it the one saying your Amazon Prime payment is late or something like that? I get that message regularly despite not having Amazon Prime and never using Amazon at all from that email address !

Steve

Is it the one saying your Amazon Prime payment is late or something like that? I get that message regularly despite not having Amazon Prime and never using Amazon at all from that email address !

Steve

I've deleted it now Steve but it was the classic 'some of your information is missing' and threatening to close the account unless you update.

As I said, the worrying thing was that the link they gave, went to a very, very convincing looking, Amazon login page. Obviously they would steal your login details and probably buy a load a stuff which you'd end up paying for?

I think your e-mail address is irrelevant, I get random stuff all the time from sites I've never been to, or at least that's what I tell my wife ;)

A

Let the geeks confirm it but by clicking the link I wouldn't be surprised if you've confirmed to the senders yours is an active, valid account ripe for more spam?

Never, ever click on a suspicious link. You can at best inform malware that you are 'live' and at worst download malware that you cannot detect. I look at Computer Forums quite a lot and there are many, many cases of folk picking up malware just by clicking a link. Not all malware is easily detectable or treatable by the usual anti-malware/virus programmes either.

Dave

Let the geeks confirm it but by clicking the link I wouldn't be surprised if you've confirmed to the senders yours is an active, valid account ripe for more spam?

I can deal with a bit more spam, I don't get that much. I had just wanted to make members aware of this very, genuine looking message.

A

Andy,
I think your post was a good one. Don't be upset with those who think you overdid it by clicking the link.

Niels

not Amazon but similar, i don't get much spam but in this week I got one from FBI offering me access to my large funds if I pay them $650 and one from Bank of America telling me I have 14.5 million and they just need some details .... very tempting as an impoverished pensioner that needs a holiday in the sun but oh so unlikely! If anyone wants to act as my agent they can have a million ...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back