Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How to lure raptors to the ground

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 14:10   #1
jlees1996
jlees1996

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 37
How to lure raptors to the ground

Hi, there isn't a very wide variety of Birds of Prey where I live, but there is an abundance of Buzzards. I have noticed that they seem to like clear sunny, cloudless days. But my problem for photographing them is that they are always circling miles above, i would need a helicopter to even get close to them.

What i know some people do is use roadkill to lure them to the ground. However I cant find any roadkill, the best I could do would be a peice of supermarket meat but they cant smell it and a slab of this raw pink/red stuff might not be recognisable to them as prey (as they usually hunt rabbits). Any ideas as to what i could do? I do have camo clothing and I intend to sit close to the baited area. I would probably set the bait out in the middle of an open field where they could see it clearly.

One last thing, because these buzzards circle so high I presume that their eyesight is highly advanced and able to spot the outline of my bait?
jlees1996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 14:13   #2
Mike Price
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Edge of the Dark Peak
Posts: 532
I am not sure that luring birds of prey is something that should be discussed in an open forum because of the levels of raptor persecution in the UK, sorry.

They do possess excellent eyesight
Mike Price is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 14:27   #3
Andrew Rowlands
Registered User
 
Andrew Rowlands's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wales.
Posts: 5,974
Wait for a spell of rain just after your local chicken farmer has spread the manure late next Autumn.
Andrew Rowlands is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:34   #4
James Thomas
Registered User
 
James Thomas's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,535
You could try one of these, fools dogs
__________________
Jim.

Some Snaps and Some Flickrsnaps
James Thomas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 18:44   #5
shark attack
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: jarrow
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlees1996 View Post
Hi, there isn't a very wide variety of Birds of Prey where I live, but there is an abundance of Buzzards. I have noticed that they seem to like clear sunny, cloudless days. But my problem for photographing them is that they are always circling miles above, i would need a helicopter to even get close to them.

What i know some people do is use roadkill to lure them to the ground. However I cant find any roadkill, the best I could do would be a peice of supermarket meat but they cant smell it and a slab of this raw pink/red stuff might not be recognisable to them as prey (as they usually hunt rabbits). Any ideas as to what i could do? I do have camo clothing and I intend to sit close to the baited area. I would probably set the bait out in the middle of an open field where they could see it clearly.

One last thing, because these buzzards circle so high I presume that their eyesight is highly advanced and able to spot the outline of my bait?
Hi jlees,

You could use any type of meat.

I know people who use 1 day old baby chicks to lure Red Kites down to a feeding table and it works. I know other people who use scraps of meat its up to you. If you want a good photo or the chance of one the first thing you need to get a decent hide sorted. I dont think it will make any difference how good your cammos are most birds will sense you moving and probably not come near. try and put your hide up the day before or even longer so birds will get used to it. A dead rabbit would be the best option if you could get your hands on one

You really need a good lens as well. I use a sigma 400mm with a x 2 converter anything less than this you would really need to be up close...probably too close.

This year I am going to use liver...it smells quite strong and its cheap !!!!!!!

Good Luck

David
shark attack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 19:20   #6
Irish Kite
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naas Co. Kildare
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Price View Post
I am not sure that luring birds of prey is something that should be discussed in an open forum because of the levels of raptor persecution in the UK, sorry.
+1
Irish Kite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 19th April 2011, 19:51   #7
eagle golden
Registered User
 
eagle golden's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north yorkshire
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kite View Post
+1
Well said Irish I would not recomend this practice as you say they have enough problems. just watch them in the air, thats where they belong.
eagle golden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 16:22   #8
shark attack
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: jarrow
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle golden View Post
Well said Irish I would not recomend this practice as you say they have enough problems. just watch them in the air, thats where they belong.
Well i have to disagree with the above 2 posts , I cant see any harm at all someone leaving a bit bait out for a buzzard to come down for a one off photograph. Whilst i have to agree I wouldnt make a habit of it but for that photo he would only be using a method used by lots of wildlife photographers.

In fact many of your wildlife programmes use similiar methods for thier shots for mucg rarer species. Remember we are talking about a common Buzzard here..........i certainly don't agree merely discussing the subject would pose any harm or I would not have replied.

People who poison birds of prey and other animals in most cases do as part of their job and unfortunately get away with it most of the time, so I dont see what the problem would be certainly as a "one off".
shark attack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 16:51   #9
Andrew Rowlands
Registered User
 
Andrew Rowlands's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wales.
Posts: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark attack View Post
In fact many of your wildlife programmes use similar methods for their shots for much rarer species.
The methods may indeed be similar, the experience of the 'baiter' and legality are probably very dissimilar.

One off ?! How many people do you see now carrying long lenses into the field? Should we openly encourage them all to bait birds of prey just so they can have record photographs of them? And should we be discussing this at all during the breeding season?

Leave them alone or visit Gigrin.
Andrew Rowlands is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 17:37   #10
willito
Guillermo Cartagena
 
willito's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kite View Post
+1
+1

Jlees, I think we all birders would like to have perfect photos of every bird we see, but luring isn't what I'd call "fair play".

The previous posted disencouraging messages, as well as mine now, should tell you that is certainly a matter of your own criteria (I don't like the term "common sense", but it may be applied as well, I think). Most likely, nobody will prevent you from luring, but is it really the way you honestly things should be done?

As a "fair" birder, I think we all should strive in the very first place for birds sake. And if in breeding season, it becomes even more advisable to refrain such a practice.
willito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 17:56   #11
The Hairy Highlander
Registered User
 
The Hairy Highlander's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dunfermline
Posts: 1,793
[quote=Andrew Rowlands;2120723]
And should we be discussing this at all during the breeding season?QUOTE]

Personally, I don't see what harm this could do? Infact would this not be a good thing, you'd be providing the bird with some much needed free food and you'd be getting some quality photos at the end of it!

Jobs a good'n!

Last edited by The Hairy Highlander : Wednesday 20th April 2011 at 17:59.
The Hairy Highlander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 18:09   #12
shark attack
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: jarrow
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by willito View Post
+1

Jlees, I think we all birders would like to have perfect photos of every bird we see, but luring isn't what I'd call "fair play".

The previous posted disencouraging messages, as well as mine now, should tell you that is certainly a matter of your own criteria (I don't like the term "common sense", but it may be applied as well, I think). Most likely, nobody will prevent you from luring, but is it really the way you honestly things should be done?

As a "fair" birder, I think we all should strive in the very first place for birds sake. And if in breeding season, it becomes even more advisable to refrain such a practice.
Ok then if this is the case it should be the same for all birds...how many people lure birds to their garden to watch and maybe photograph during the breeding season..?? Of course the wellbeing of the birds come first and i totally agree.....but we are talking about a common buzzard...Firstly there is nothing illegall about trying to photograph one of these and it would not be illegall to try and get a photo of one using the methods we are talking about.

people are leaving food out for red kites not far away from here, whih i think is great as they are poor hunters and rely on easy picking....in fact all the food being left out for them might be a factor as to why they are thriving who knows.....it certainly isnt frowned upon.

Forgive me if iam am wrong but i dont think I am.............i know farmers ( well one ) who leave offell out for residant SE up at Gruinard....iam sure their is no complaints from the birds especially in winters when food can be sparce. How can it be wrong for someone to leave a bit of food out for a buzzrd............but not for the guy up at Portree to entice the Sea eagle's out from their nest so people can take photos of them from his boat ??

Try and tell all these people above that they are being irresponsible and they will be very bemused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shark attack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 18:35   #13
orniodesigns
Registered User
 
orniodesigns's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 287
Wultures and large eagles will come to look at you (fly rounds over you) if you lie down in the ground and you make calls of wounded animals. This has worked well several times.
orniodesigns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 18:36   #14
Andrew Rowlands
Registered User
 
Andrew Rowlands's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wales.
Posts: 5,974
I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. They may be called 'Common' Buzzards but in living memory, they were extinct in most Counties in England.

As to Red Kites being 'poor hunters', well ...

Just have a think, look again at the Thread title and consider that this is all being posted on an open forum.

How many selfish humans do you know?
Andrew Rowlands is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 18:58   #15
shark attack
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: jarrow
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowlands View Post
I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. They may be called 'Common' Buzzards but in living memory, they were extinct in most Counties in England.

As to Red Kites being 'poor hunters', well ...

Just have a think, look again at the Thread title and consider that this is all being posted on an open forum.

How many selfish humans do you know?
I know many a selfish human..................but would have thought that someone who wanted to feed a BOP for a photo was probably the opposite. Most people into photography probably have a nice nature and are unselfish.

you can read a hell of a lot into people purely by their interests....people who like going out taking photos in their spare time are the people I would like to meet and sit next to in a pub.............however people who try to discourage this for silly reasons are probs the selfish ones.

lets all stick to sitting i the backgarden photographing blue tits after we have lured them down with homemade fatballs and wildbird seed from B & Q. Dont go buying anymore niger seed to feed the golfinches because it might be the breeding season......... HILARIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shark attack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:04   #16
cd07
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 44
I dont think luring the buzzards to the ground is the best option. Find the nearest wooded land near to where you see the birds soaring and you shouldnt have to much problems getting the photos. early in the morning is best before they get to high in the sky. thats the way i take pics of them anyway
cd07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:14   #17
eagle golden
Registered User
 
eagle golden's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north yorkshire
Posts: 594
Well i managed these from my back garden, four birds in all/ and all without feeding them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red kites 17-4-11 001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	319795  Click image for larger version

Name:	red kites 17-4-11 011.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	319796  Click image for larger version

Name:	red kites 17-4-11 010.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	319797  

Last edited by eagle golden : Wednesday 20th April 2011 at 19:33. Reason: to add
eagle golden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:14   #18
Andrew Rowlands
Registered User
 
Andrew Rowlands's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wales.
Posts: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark attack View Post
I know many a selfish human.
That seems to prove you read one of the sentences. Nice to see you're making some progress
Andrew Rowlands is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:29   #19
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor
 
Keith Dickinson's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire
Posts: 9,314
Just to let you all know that this thread comes right at the top of the list in a google search for 'luring raptors'. As BF is an open forum any 'mr nasty' running a google search will turn up BF threads quite easily so think about what you are posting.
Andrew, Mike, willito and Irish Kite are making a valuable point about the nature of the original post, we shouldn't be broadcasting stuff that could be used by the wrong people.
__________________
Keith
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care
My Blog My Flickr Page
Keith Dickinson is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:34   #20
eagle golden
Registered User
 
eagle golden's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north yorkshire
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Just to let you all know that this thread comes right at the top of the list in a google search for 'luring raptors'. As BF is an open forum any 'mr nasty' running a google search will turn up BF threads quite easily so think about what you are posting.
Andrew, Mike, willito and Irish Kite are making a valuable point about the nature of the original post, we shouldn't be broadcasting stuff that could be used by the wrong people.
well said Keith, why people start these sort of threads is beyond me.
eagle golden is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:37   #21
Irish Kite
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naas Co. Kildare
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowlands View Post
I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. ?
I don't understand such a mentality - would they prefer more rats,rabbits and corvids(a buzzards main prey)??
Irish Kite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:38   #22
The Hairy Highlander
Registered User
 
The Hairy Highlander's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dunfermline
Posts: 1,793
Sorry, but this is getting blown WAY out of proportion!! Come on people....
The Hairy Highlander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 19:42   #23
Apodemus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: uk
Posts: 2,085
Isn't there a bit of over-reaction going on here? I think that the question of whether or not it is "fair" to attract raptors with roadkill is probably a reasonable one to debate but how does anyone think that such a question could benefit the bad guys? It's hard to imagine a dodgy gamekeeper sitting at home thinking "I wish, I wish, there was a way of attracting buzzards within reach of my gun", then doing a google search and leaping off the settee shouting "Roadkill - luring!!! Why didn't I think of that??"
Apodemus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 20:06   #24
shark attack
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: jarrow
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowlands View Post
I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. They may be called 'Common' Buzzards but in living memory, they were extinct in most Counties in England.

As to Red Kites being 'poor hunters', well ...

Just have a think, look again at the Thread title and consider that this is all being posted on an open forum.

How many selfish humans do you know?
As to red kites being poor hunters....................well..................well what ?? its common knowledge that red Kites are not the best Hunting BOP.

I could be wrong but why do we have lots of feeding stations for these birds ?? and why do they in lots of cases come down for food that people have left out for them. if you care to go on youtube you can watch these magnificent birds coming down into people's back gardens to take food.
What is the harm i this ?? we are doing them a favour and helping them survive......to many people on here once again have their heads up their own A***s................Look the facts are lots of people feed these birds no harm done.....yet once again we have the doogooders coming on a saying its wrong.

Well its not wrong its OK to do this.....and if someone wants to do the same thing in the middle of a farmers field let them get on with it...if people want to do it in their own backyard what is the difference....the birds are none of the wiser.

one of the best known naturalists this country has ever produced used to drag dead deer up the hill out the back where he lived for GE to feed on and mentioned this in his books........would any of you dare to tell this person his actions were wrong...NO OF COURSE NOT BECAUSE NONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE HAD THE BALLS TO.

How could any of you on here tell someone that they are wrong from behind your office desk............when they are living out in the wild and up close to the very species you claim you are trying to protect....................breeding season my arse..thats all you go on about....go and iron your shirts and your action slacks and come back when you have learnt a bit about real wildlife !!!
shark attack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th April 2011, 20:16   #25
Apodemus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: uk
Posts: 2,085
I had to google "action slacks"
Apodemus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fake nests in bid to lure ospreys (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 2 Friday 23rd April 2010 18:36
Tape lure sound systems for Stormies capesteve Bird Ringing and Banding 6 Wednesday 10th December 2008 17:14
Can you lure wild birds ?? Help please !! davidbridges Birds & Birding 6 Friday 1st June 2007 22:19
Lure birds for foto or movie albatross02 Birds & Birding 4 Wednesday 6th April 2005 10:52
Ground Jay's become ground Tit's steve_nova Birds & Birding 3 Tuesday 6th May 2003 09:07



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.15596604 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01.