• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to lure raptors to the ground (2 Viewers)

jlees1996

jlees1996
Hi, there isn't a very wide variety of Birds of Prey where I live, but there is an abundance of Buzzards. I have noticed that they seem to like clear sunny, cloudless days. But my problem for photographing them is that they are always circling miles above, i would need a helicopter to even get close to them.

What i know some people do is use roadkill to lure them to the ground. However I cant find any roadkill, the best I could do would be a peice of supermarket meat but they cant smell it and a slab of this raw pink/red stuff might not be recognisable to them as prey (as they usually hunt rabbits). Any ideas as to what i could do? I do have camo clothing and I intend to sit close to the baited area. I would probably set the bait out in the middle of an open field where they could see it clearly.

One last thing, because these buzzards circle so high I presume that their eyesight is highly advanced and able to spot the outline of my bait?

I am not sure that luring birds of prey is something that should be discussed in an open forum because of the levels of raptor persecution in the UK, sorry.

They do possess excellent eyesight

Hi, there isn't a very wide variety of Birds of Prey where I live, but there is an abundance of Buzzards. I have noticed that they seem to like clear sunny, cloudless days. But my problem for photographing them is that they are always circling miles above, i would need a helicopter to even get close to them.

What i know some people do is use roadkill to lure them to the ground. However I cant find any roadkill, the best I could do would be a peice of supermarket meat but they cant smell it and a slab of this raw pink/red stuff might not be recognisable to them as prey (as they usually hunt rabbits). Any ideas as to what i could do? I do have camo clothing and I intend to sit close to the baited area. I would probably set the bait out in the middle of an open field where they could see it clearly.

One last thing, because these buzzards circle so high I presume that their eyesight is highly advanced and able to spot the outline of my bait?

Hi jlees,

You could use any type of meat.

I know people who use 1 day old baby chicks to lure Red Kites down to a feeding table and it works. I know other people who use scraps of meat its up to you. If you want a good photo or the chance of one the first thing you need to get a decent hide sorted. I dont think it will make any difference how good your cammos are most birds will sense you moving and probably not come near. try and put your hide up the day before or even longer so birds will get used to it. A dead rabbit would be the best option if you could get your hands on one

You really need a good lens as well. I use a sigma 400mm with a x 2 converter anything less than this you would really need to be up close...probably too close.

This year I am going to use liver...it smells quite strong and its cheap !!!!!!!

Good Luck

David

Well said Irish I would not recomend this practice as you say they have enough problems. just watch them in the air, thats where they belong.

Well i have to disagree with the above 2 posts , I cant see any harm at all someone leaving a bit bait out for a buzzard to come down for a one off photograph. Whilst i have to agree I wouldnt make a habit of it but for that photo he would only be using a method used by lots of wildlife photographers.

In fact many of your wildlife programmes use similiar methods for thier shots for mucg rarer species. Remember we are talking about a common Buzzard here..........i certainly don't agree merely discussing the subject would pose any harm or I would not have replied.

People who poison birds of prey and other animals in most cases do as part of their job and unfortunately get away with it most of the time, so I dont see what the problem would be certainly as a "one off".

In fact many of your wildlife programmes use similar methods for their shots for much rarer species.

The methods may indeed be similar, the experience of the 'baiter' and legality are probably very dissimilar.

One off ?! How many people do you see now carrying long lenses into the field? Should we openly encourage them all to bait birds of prey just so they can have record photographs of them? And should we be discussing this at all during the breeding season?

Leave them alone or visit Gigrin.

+1

Jlees, I think we all birders would like to have perfect photos of every bird we see, but luring isn't what I'd call "fair play".

The previous posted disencouraging messages, as well as mine now, should tell you that is certainly a matter of your own criteria (I don't like the term "common sense", but it may be applied as well, I think). Most likely, nobody will prevent you from luring, but is it really the way you honestly things should be done? ;)

As a "fair" birder, I think we all should strive in the very first place for birds sake. And if in breeding season, it becomes even more advisable to refrain such a practice.

And should we be discussing this at all during the breeding season?QUOTE]

Personally, I don't see what harm this could do? Infact would this not be a good thing, you'd be providing the bird with some much needed free food and you'd be getting some quality photos at the end of it!

Jobs a good'n! :t:

Last edited:
+1

Jlees, I think we all birders would like to have perfect photos of every bird we see, but luring isn't what I'd call "fair play".

The previous posted disencouraging messages, as well as mine now, should tell you that is certainly a matter of your own criteria (I don't like the term "common sense", but it may be applied as well, I think). Most likely, nobody will prevent you from luring, but is it really the way you honestly things should be done? ;)

As a "fair" birder, I think we all should strive in the very first place for birds sake. And if in breeding season, it becomes even more advisable to refrain such a practice.

Ok then if this is the case it should be the same for all birds...how many people lure birds to their garden to watch and maybe photograph during the breeding season..?? Of course the wellbeing of the birds come first and i totally agree.....but we are talking about a common buzzard...Firstly there is nothing illegall about trying to photograph one of these and it would not be illegall to try and get a photo of one using the methods we are talking about.

people are leaving food out for red kites not far away from here, whih i think is great as they are poor hunters and rely on easy picking....in fact all the food being left out for them might be a factor as to why they are thriving who knows.....it certainly isnt frowned upon.

Forgive me if iam am wrong but i dont think I am.............i know farmers ( well one ) who leave offell out for residant SE up at Gruinard....iam sure their is no complaints from the birds especially in winters when food can be sparce. How can it be wrong for someone to leave a bit of food out for a buzzrd............but not for the guy up at Portree to entice the Sea eagle's out from their nest so people can take photos of them from his boat ??

Try and tell all these people above that they are being irresponsible and they will be very bemused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wultures and large eagles will come to look at you (fly rounds over you) if you lie down in the ground and you make calls of wounded animals. This has worked well several times.

I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. They may be called 'Common' Buzzards but in living memory, they were extinct in most Counties in England.

As to Red Kites being 'poor hunters', well ...

Just have a think, look again at the Thread title and consider that this is all being posted on an open forum.

How many selfish humans do you know?

I know farmers that complain because there are 'too many Buzzards now'. They may be called 'Common' Buzzards but in living memory, they were extinct in most Counties in England.

As to Red Kites being 'poor hunters', well ...

Just have a think, look again at the Thread title and consider that this is all being posted on an open forum.

How many selfish humans do you know?

I know many a selfish human..................but would have thought that someone who wanted to feed a BOP for a photo was probably the opposite. Most people into photography probably have a nice nature and are unselfish.

you can read a hell of a lot into people purely by their interests....people who like going out taking photos in their spare time are the people I would like to meet and sit next to in a pub.............however people who try to discourage this for silly reasons are probs the selfish ones.

lets all stick to sitting i the backgarden photographing blue tits after we have lured them down with homemade fatballs and wildbird seed from B & Q. Dont go buying anymore niger seed to feed the golfinches because it might be the breeding season......... HILARIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think luring the buzzards to the ground is the best option. Find the nearest wooded land near to where you see the birds soaring and you shouldnt have to much problems getting the photos. early in the morning is best before they get to high in the sky. thats the way i take pics of them anyway

Well i managed these from my back garden, four birds in all/ and all without feeding them.

Attachments

• red kites 17-4-11 001.jpg
    red kites 17-4-11 001.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 129
  • red kites 17-4-11 011.jpg
    red kites 17-4-11 011.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 160
  • red kites 17-4-11 010.jpg
    red kites 17-4-11 010.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Just to let you all know that this thread comes right at the top of the list in a google search for 'luring raptors'. As BF is an open forum any 'mr nasty' running a google search will turn up BF threads quite easily so think about what you are posting.
Andrew, Mike, willito and Irish Kite are making a valuable point about the nature of the original post, we shouldn't be broadcasting stuff that could be used by the wrong people.

Just to let you all know that this thread comes right at the top of the list in a google search for 'luring raptors'. As BF is an open forum any 'mr nasty' running a google search will turn up BF threads quite easily so think about what you are posting.
Andrew, Mike, willito and Irish Kite are making a valuable point about the nature of the original post, we shouldn't be broadcasting stuff that could be used by the wrong people.

well said Keith, why people start these sort of threads is beyond me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back