• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinidad (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

Trinidad birding trip 30 October to 6th November .

My cousin Keith [Whitfield] and I [Mike Davidson] ventured into the'New World ' for the first time .Our previous trips have been in Kenya [where I lived for 21 years ] , Serbia and UK .
Nigel Moorhouse of Sarus tours organised the trip well and we stayed at the Asa Wright centre . The centre staff were very welcoming and their service was excellent . The young guides attached to the centre were very knowledgable and we had good rapport with them all .
The Centre is located in the Northern Hills and was part of a coffee estate before Asa Wright and her husband converted it into a nature centre , in 1962.
We arrived on Sunday evening and had 4 trips arranged during the week . Our guide for every trip was Dave Ramlal , a very experienced ornithologist . He was excellent .
Our first day was an orientation one , with one of the guides taking us on a short walk to see the Bearded Bellbird and White-bearded Manakin and luckily had good views of both . The rest of the first day was spent in and around the centre , which is a great attraction for Hummingbirds,Tanagers and more .
Next day we were collected by Dave and taken to Caroni Swamp . This is on the West of the island , about one hour away from the centre.
The main attraction there were Scarlet Ibises and Snowy Egrets coming into roost . We were taken by boat along the narrow waterways and saw several other species.
There were several thousand of both and it was an amazing sight !!
First two days we recorded 42 lifers .

Day 3 took us to Nariva Swamp , on the East coast A 2 hour drive each way . This time we did not enter the swamp , but kept close between the sea and this area . We recorded 23 more lifers , the best being Yellow-headed Caracaras and an American Pygmy Kingfisher.

Day 4 took us higher up in the hills north of the centre on the Blanchisseuse Road . All three Trogons were found , as well as Hermits ,Woodpeckers and more .another 24 lifers .

Day 5 We went to the Aripo/Arena area , due South from the centre in flat grasslands. Hawks, Falcons a very nice Yellow Oriole were seen. Another 14 lifers .
On day 6 we had a strenuous walk [ for oldies like us !] to see the Oilbirds in a cavernous ravine . These birds are nocturnal and feed on palm seeds , full of oil . Like Nightjars they doze during day time . An amazing sight . Our guide Barry was very informative .
Our total tally of lifers was 103 .

A great trip and I am sure we will do some more !!

Mike Davidson in Dorset

Glad you enjoyed Trinidad and Asa Wright. I birded with Dave a few years ago to Caroni. Those scarlet ibis coming into roost are quite a sight. I wish I had more time for more of Trinidad. Consider Tobago next visit. Manageable on your own and there are a few local guides to arrange day trips with. Fly in via Virgin from the UK, short hop over to Tobago. I might even suggest staying in 2 locations. I stayed near the airport and enjoyed the guide for that area, but there is another guide in the east end of the island who does more shore and (smaller) island tours. Reasonably priced and easy to do in a week.

Thanks for the report

It brings back good memories and we would like to get back to Trinidad possibly with another visit to Tobago also. It is such a great intro to South American birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back