Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eastern Bonelli's Warbler? / Qatar

Old Thursday 23rd July 2020, 18:48   #1
Jose605

Eastern Bonelli's Warbler? / Qatar

Hello,

I posted a photo of this bird here last year. I tried to reply to the original entry, but being an old thread I could no longer reply to it.

Some members of the forum thought the warbler was Eastern Bonelli's. Does anybody else thinks so too?

I submitted the entry on eBird then, but it was rejected claiming the bird wasn't on range.

I'm uploading the original photo again (plus 4 more) in case they help towards a positive ID.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	732794  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	732795  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	732796  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	732797  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	732798  

Old Thursday 23rd July 2020, 19:12   #2
andyb39

What reason did you have for thinking this was Eastern Bonelli's? It would be a great rarity in any of the Gulf countries. This looks like a Chiffchaff to me.
Old Thursday 23rd July 2020, 19:30   #3
Jose605

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb39 View Post
What reason did you have for thinking this was Eastern Bonelli's? It would be a great rarity in any of the Gulf countries. This looks like a Chiffchaff to me.
Thanks, Andy. It wasn't me who thought so. I had no clue of which type of warbler this could be. But a couple of people here in the forum suggested this could be EBW. Maybe it isn't.
Old Thursday 23rd July 2020, 19:35   #4
MJB

Quote:
Is it ssp caucasicus that you get in the Gulf in winter, Andy?
MJB
Old Friday 24th July 2020, 04:28   #5
andyb39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Is it ssp caucasicus that you get in the Gulf in winter, Andy?
MJB
Abietinus, as far as I know. There could of course be other races thrown in, like brevirostris. I don't know much about either this race or caucasicus to be honest. Calls heard in the UAE are generally monsyllabic though, often of the "lost chick" variety, although song is not that of tristis.
Old Friday 24th July 2020, 10:18   #6
MJB

Quote:
Abietinus, as far as I know. There could of course be other races thrown in, like brevirostris. I don't know much about either this race or caucasicus to be honest. Calls heard in the UAE are generally monsyllabic though, often of the "lost chick" variety, although song is not that of tristis.
Thanks, Andy!
MJB
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: