Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.86 average.
Old Tuesday 28th July 2020, 18:57   #1001
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
And, of course, some more:

De Havilland 88 Comet (winner of the 1934 London to Melbourne race) and Percival Mew Gull (which broke the London to Capetown record) - in each case, yes, this actual aircraft
The DH 88 is one of those few aircraft whose elegance of line is just perfect.

Oh, and its designer's cousin died just a few days ago aged 104...
MJB
Old Tuesday 28th July 2020, 19:17   #1002
PYRTLE

Great images, FJ.
Old Tuesday 28th July 2020, 19:35   #1003
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Great images, FJ.
Thank you very much! The light was highly variable - and often challenging - but perhaps it really challenged me to go beyond the "field guide" picture and try to take a photograph.....

John
Old Wednesday 29th July 2020, 07:46   #1004
wolfbirder

Quote:
All right, any excuse: a couple of shots of G-BYGC in the BOAC retro scheme coming out of Heathrow, photographed from Stanwell Moor: literally the last week before work sent me home and told me to stay there.

(Incidentally, talking of the Comet, have you noticed the line of the 787's nose? A belated admission from Boeing that de Havilland got it exactly right, if you ask me.)

John
John, your photos are just stunning.

It seems many many years ago when I used to love watching BOAC 707s, VC10s, and then 747s dropping into Manchester Airport when I lived near there as a kid. And also things like British Caledonian 707s, TWA and Pan Am 707s, Spantax CV990s, Air Spain DC-8s, Laker DC-10s, Wardair 747s, Trans Europa Caravelle's, BEA Viscounts plus so much more. Happy days!!

I used to have a Canon AE1 (I think?) and loved going to airports and airshows. Got albums full of 6 x 4's, but I envy the clarity obtained by John in his exceptional photos. Favourite places were Hotel Emmantina at Athens with its rooftop area and pool, Miami International, and Frankfurt. But I also loved Fairford Air Show to see the fast jets.

Nowadays I collect diecast 1/400 model airliners and 1/72 WW2 planes as a reminder of those great days- just love the Spitfire and Hurricane, and those German Heinkel's, Stuka's and ME109's. Just recently I obtained a Defiant, built a mile from where I live now on the outskirts of Wolverhampton by Bolton-Paul.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Monty, Gyr, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Nightjars, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, Divers, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.

Last edited by wolfbirder : Wednesday 29th July 2020 at 07:50.
Old Friday 31st July 2020, 21:52   #1005
SimonLS

I was up at Lakenheath Fen today, lots of flying activity. Can anyone confirm if this is, specifically, an F15C?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F15-Eagle_small.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	733377  

Simon
Old Friday 31st July 2020, 22:10   #1006
PYRTLE

Cockpit canopy looks more akin to a 2 seater variant ( D or E ). Any more images ie showing full number on tail fin? Not sure whether it reads AF 84, 94 or 04.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Friday 31st July 2020 at 22:12.
Old Friday 31st July 2020, 22:19   #1007
SimonLS

Quote:
Cockpit canopy looks more akin to a 2 seater variant ( D or E ). Any more images ie showing full number on tail fin? Not sure whether it reads AF 84, 94 or 04.
It reads AF84 001.

Simon
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 04:56   #1008
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Using a magnifying glass Pat, I think it's 04, def not a 9 anyway.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 06:15   #1009
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLS View Post
I was up at Lakenheath Fen today, lots of flying activity. Can anyone confirm if this is, specifically, an F15C?

Thanks.
The camouflage pattern and the yellow-bordered black tail band, with the long shallow cockpit canopy, confirm that this is an F15C from the 493rd Fighter Squadron: the pure air superiority squadron of the 48th (Liberty) Wing USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.

F15Es are all uniform very dark gray (concession to US sensibilities) - don't know what the official name of the colour is, sorry. F15Cs and the couple of two-seat Ds with the 493rd are pale gray ground colour with large blotches of a mid-gray on fins, wings and upper decking.

And I agree the serial is 84001.

John
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 06:22   #1010
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
John, your photos are just stunning.

It seems many many years ago when I used to love watching BOAC 707s, VC10s, and then 747s dropping into Manchester Airport when I lived near there as a kid. And also things like British Caledonian 707s, TWA and Pan Am 707s, Spantax CV990s, Air Spain DC-8s, Laker DC-10s, Wardair 747s, Trans Europa Caravelle's, BEA Viscounts plus so much more. Happy days!!

I used to have a Canon AE1 (I think?) and loved going to airports and airshows. Got albums full of 6 x 4's, but I envy the clarity obtained by John in his exceptional photos. Favourite places were Hotel Emmantina at Athens with its rooftop area and pool, Miami International, and Frankfurt. But I also loved Fairford Air Show to see the fast jets.

Nowadays I collect diecast 1/400 model airliners and 1/72 WW2 planes as a reminder of those great days- just love the Spitfire and Hurricane, and those German Heinkel's, Stuka's and ME109's. Just recently I obtained a Defiant, built a mile from where I live now on the outskirts of Wolverhampton by Bolton-Paul.
I've been photographing aircraft since I was a kid and my Mum got me a Kodak Retinette fixed lens camera, so I never went the Instamatic route but straight into f-stops and shutter speeds. My first SLR was a frighteningly clunky Russian Zenith EM, then I used Mum's old Pentax when she upgraded, and finally went to Canon and moved into DSLRs with them. I often look at old pictures and lament not having the gear then that I've got now, with not-quite-sharp or badly lit pictures of types gone for ever.

John
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 07:59   #1011
SimonLS

Quote:
The camouflage pattern and the yellow-bordered black tail band, with the long shallow cockpit canopy, confirm that this is an F15C from the 493rd Fighter Squadron: the pure air superiority squadron of the 48th (Liberty) Wing USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.

F15Es are all uniform very dark gray (concession to US sensibilities) - don't know what the official name of the colour is, sorry. F15Cs and the couple of two-seat Ds with the 493rd are pale gray ground colour with large blotches of a mid-gray on fins, wings and upper decking.

And I agree the serial is 84001.

John
John, Pat, Andy,

Thank you for your help. Especially to John for the extra detail.

Simon
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 11:49   #1012
wolfbirder

I love F15s but am surprised that in this day and age there is a perceived role for them still. I thought they were being retired?

I presume they have had avionics upgraded? Much prefer them to the horrible looking thing the RAF have now bought from the US.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Monty, Gyr, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Nightjars, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, Divers, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 12:05   #1013
PYRTLE

I believe they are still upgrading them and looking to be flying variants for another 20 years eg Super Eagles and EX.

Lakenheath is preparing the infrastructure to receive some F35s in 2025?

I'm getting quite fond of the overhead silhouette of the F35s when they cruise low and directly overhead rather than side on - I was lucky to see two returning pairs join up to a four ship formation a few weeks back. .... giving me my little private airshow display for the year. " Flying Brick " is a tad unfair - if its fast, loud and pulling high Gs it is fine by me.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 12:28   #1014
Farnboro John

Quote:
I believe they are still upgrading them and looking to be flying variants for another 20 years eg Super Eagles and EX.

Lakenheath is preparing the infrastructure to receive some F35s in 2025?

I'm getting quite fond of the overhead silhouette of the F35s when they cruise low and directly overhead rather than side on - I was lucky to see two returning pairs join up to a four ship formation a few weeks back. .... giving me my little private airshow display for the year. " Flying Brick " is a tad unfair - if its fast, loud and pulling high Gs it is fine by me.
In another place I frequent they call it "Dave" because they think it's boring, but I'm with you Pat.

The USAF approach appears to be two-track, recognising that the full-on stealth weaponry is very expensive and for most purposes overkill, they have enough of that to kick the door in and once that is done the Eagles will swarm in.

We're going much the same way: our Typhoons are unstealthy but hot ships in every other respect and can be all over anything the Lightnings (I hate calling it that, there's only one kind of RAF Lightning) aren't needed to handle.

I think I remember reading that Lakenheath will get 2 squadrons of F-35As to replace F-15Es but retain one squadron of Eagles in the wing (possibly those will be F-15Es rather than Cs).

John
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 13:21   #1015
PYRTLE

Absolutely, only ever one Lightning.

Wonder why the USA didn't follow up Falcon, Eagle, Raptor - --- Hawk, Goshawk, Merlin, Harrier, Buzzard and Kestrel already taken I guess.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Saturday 1st August 2020 at 13:32.
Old Saturday 1st August 2020, 20:22   #1016
MJB

Quote:
Absolutely, only ever one Lightning.

Wonder why the USA didn't follow up Falcon, Eagle, Raptor - --- Hawk, Goshawk, Merlin, Harrier, Buzzard and Kestrel already taken I guess.
The first (?) RAF Lightning may be this one here: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/att...mentid=2028523

Note the early engines with which it was underpowered...
MJB
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 18:30   #1017
Mac308

Fantastic photography Farnboro John!
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 21:06   #1018
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
The first (?) RAF Lightning may be this one here: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/att...mentid=2028523

MJB
I don't think it was ever accepted for service though? Didn't make it through Boscombe Down trials AFAIK. Give me a Mosquito any day of the week!

Mac308: Thank you very much!

John
Old Sunday 2nd August 2020, 22:25   #1019
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Quote:
I don't think it was ever accepted for service though? Didn't make it through Boscombe Down trials AFAIK. Give me a Mosquito any day of the week!

Mac308: Thank you very much!

John
and we already had the Westland Whirlwind and the De Haviland Hornet
Old Sunday 30th August 2020, 21:24   #1020
Stonefaction
One of that ilk

Had a pair of Spitfires pass through Dundee airport today on their way north to Inverness, one being the Silver Spitfire that flew around the world, the other a two-seater, so popped down for a look and to grab a few photos.

More photos on my Twitter page - www.twitter.com/SFbirding
or on my Flickr page - www.flickr.com/stonefaction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50286564173_ab867ef121_c.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	735708  Click image for larger version

Name:	50287397382_be32c9b03a_c.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	735709  Click image for larger version

Name:	50286571823_4705bc9f7a_c.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	735710  Click image for larger version

Name:	50287241211_aa6338526c_c.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	735711  Click image for larger version

Name:	50286567743_37993e8ba9_c.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	735712  

Old Sunday 30th August 2020, 22:02   #1021
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Lovely shots, would be wonderful to have a Mosquito to liven up the mix.
Are there still any airworthy examples operational?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th August 2020, 22:15   #1022
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:

MJB
The 'castrated' Lightning, no intercooled superchargers, so anemic at any altitude. Much more impressive once adequately powered.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st August 2020, 05:28   #1023
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:

MJB
That's a P38 isn't it?

This is my irreplaceable, boyhood Lightning of course, nothing under powered here!

https://forums.x-plane.org/screensho...e3eaa1988e.png
Old Monday 31st August 2020, 06:17   #1024
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
Had a pair of Spitfires pass through Dundee airport today on their way north to Inverness, one being the Silver Spitfire that flew around the world, the other a two-seater, so popped down for a look and to grab a few photos.

Have never ever seen (nor heard of) a silver spit before. .....

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st August 2020, 06:42   #1025
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post

Bit of a crosswind judging from pic 3! Very nice. I followed the round-the-world trip at the time, I thought it a strange thing to do (all that over-water stuff on a single eighty-year-old engine!) but fascinating to see the progress.

CJ: There were one or two silver Spits even during WWII, one in Italy is the best known I think.

[/quote]Lovely shots, would be wonderful to have a Mosquito to liven up the mix.

Are there still any airworthy examples operational?[/quote]

Etudiant: there are four on the wrong side of the pond:

In Canada a B35 restored as BIX LR503 (whose mission score was an astonishing 215 but whose end was tragic);

TV959, the TIII that used to hang up in the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth, now flown in intruder colours as NS838, an FBVI of 418 (Canadian) Squadron;

KA114, a Canadian-built FB26 now flown in the colours of a 487 Squadron FBVI as used in the Amiens prison raid;

PZ474, a real FBVI restored as a Banff Strike Wing 143 Squadron coastal strike aircraft.

A "carrier bag of bits" is being used as the basis for a "dataplate restoration" to airworthy status of a Mosquito using the identity of an NF30 RL346, in Britain. This will take several years yet. They are basically setting up a Mosquito airframe production facility just as the New Zealanders who did KA114 and TV959 did.

There are repeated noises about restoring Kermit Weeks's B/TT35 RS712 (ex 3 CAACU and 633 Squadron) to flying status but it needs some serious airframe work. (Which thanks to the NZ and UK teams is not out of the question but will require the lubrication of cash.)

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: