• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco Hirundine/Swift (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all. Atrocious picture, but here is an aerial bird from Cap Spartel in northern Morocco in April 2017. Can't decide whether it's a swift (in which case presumably a common/pallid) or a hirundine (not sure which should be present in Northern Morocco in April?)

Attachments

• DSC02690.jpg
    DSC02690.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 226
The only other picture is this which, uhh, I doubt will be of any help...

For additional context, this photo was taken from inside the Cave of Hercules looking out to sea, so the bird is relatively low over the ocean and so I strongly doubt it's a hobby.

Attachments

• DSC02689.jpg
    DSC02689.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Both are hard pictures and with the second it might be an Hobby or an Eleonora's falcon. But I still struggle to see a Swift/Hirundine with that shape (for example a long arm)

Impossible to identify, but for your reference, I've seen both Hobby and Peregrine flying out to sea to hunt hirundines and waders during the autumn.

Last edited:
Doesn’t look like a falcon to me - look how short the body is compared to the wings. Looks like a swift sp to me (Alpine?) but falcon sp or swift equally likely around rocky coastlines

(I’m not sure which wing is the nearest wing here or whether I’m looking at the mantle or underparts - the second image looks like a squashed spider on the windscreen)

Last edited:
Doesn’t look like a falcon to me - look how short the body is compared to the wings. Looks like a swift sp to me (Alpine?) but falcon sp or swift equally likely around rocky coastlines

(I’m not sure which wing is the nearest wing here or whether I’m looking at the mantle or underparts - the second image looks like a squashed spider on the windscreen)

I still have difficulties to see a Swift (Alpine, Common, Pallid) in these pictures. But you are right: I have trying to hard in this case to prove my jizz -ID that this is a Hobby/Eleonoras Falcon . This picture seems unIDable (at least to me).

Thanks for opening my eyes, Deb and Daniel!

I still have difficulties to see a Swift (Alpine, Common, Pallid) in these pictures. But you are right: I have trying to hard in this case to prove my jizz -ID that this is a Hobby/Eleonoras Falcon . This picture seems unIDable (at least to me).

Don't think I've ever noticed a carpal bend on a Swift or Hurundine such as seen here?

I don’t think anyone’s eyes have been opened the truth be told. I see you always try hard to ‘prove your case’ on these ID threads but to be perfectly honest I find it’s just a waste of my time arguing the case if an image is just unidentifiable - especially when it’s hard enough to even work out the genus let alone the species.

The first image looks like a Hobby to me, it appears your looking straight up at it with the heavy streaking to the lower body being somewhat palpable, I’ve also seen Hobby, Peregrine, Merlin and Eleanora’s
hunting over the sea.

Cheers

From the 1st pic it looks like a nightjar of sorts to me, perhaps European, and perhaps with a few missing tail feathers... Some apparent back striping as well...

Assuming that the top left (first photo) is the head/bill, the middle right is the tail and the two lower parts are wings, can cuckoo be ruled out?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back