• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wingtip Gull Swindon (1 Viewer)

Could it be possible to id this gull from its wingtip pattern.I Dont think its a standard Herring gull maybe a Yellow Legged Gull or something else.
Thanks Mike.

Attachments

• bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 140
Considering the broad dark mark on primary 5 - (the last dark-marked inner primary)
Herring would be in a bad position as a choice. Also the amount of dark on the outer primaries, mainly in p 9-7 (variable) is not in line with Herring (argentatus/argenteus). Some argenteus Herrings have a rather broad dark mark on p5 - similar to Yellow-legged Gull but the large amount of black in the mentioned primaries suggest a YLG for this one, or in fact a LBBG. However the grey tone of the rest of the wing looks rather pale grey and contrast strongly with the black of the wing - but we can´t be 100% sure from this image.

JanJ

looks like yellow-legged to me as well. if the pic is not manipulated i'd tend to dismiss LBBG on strong contrast/light grey upperparts alone.

Some 4th-cycle Herring Gulls show much more black in the outer primaries than adult birds (and yet may look like adults in all other respects!), which may result in a pattern that completely overlaps with adult Yellow-legged Gull. So, it is very tricky to identify the bird in the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back