• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Birder anniversary (1 Viewer)

Birdcrazy89

My wife has just fallen in love with birds. Need advise on optics- no experience here.

I’m thinking monocular with good eye relief. I say this because she has challenging eye prescription and when using my Bono’s gets impatient focusing both tubes then tires- they are a heavy set military style

Is it easier pointing and observing with one tube?

Maybe 8x40 try stay $175-250 any recommendations?

She is retiring in November and I’m taking her where she wants to go

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

I would urge you away from monoculars unless you know that is what she wants, see https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=391996....binoculars are easier to hold steady and will generally provide the better view.

There are lots of threads on some good buys, e.g. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=392932 and https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=392011 but I would say maybe take her to a store with a selection and get her to try some out mentioned on here, and then buy her favourite rather than trying to surprise her with some, as occasionally some binoculars work better than others depending on a user’s eyes and physicality and general preference etc.

Hi Birdcrazy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here. Essex Tern has given you some great advice but there will be more people with the right expertise looking in that forum.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

If she is focusing both “tubes”, then it sounds like she is using a Steiner or similar. Most binos focus quite easily by turning a wheel located between the barrels, and which focuses both barrels at the same time.

No, it is not easier using a monocular, as the Tern mentioned. That’s why you hardly ever see a birder using them when you go to a birding hotspot.

There’s not a lot of 8x40’s out there. Most of what you will find are 8x42. Look at the Nikon Prostaff or Monarch, or the Vortex Diamondback HD. That being said, your budget isn’t too far away from a Meopta Opteka. The Opteka is well worth the extra money over a Prostaff or Diamondback.

One more thing - most binos have eye relief under 20mm. If your wife needs more than that, then look at the Athlon Optics 8.5x42 Cronus that is currently on sale for $319 at Cameralandny.com. It has aound 22mm of ER, which is something not easily found, especially in your price range.

My wife has just fallen in love with birds. Need advise on optics- no experience here.

I’m thinking monocular with good eye relief. I say this because she has challenging eye prescription and when using my Bono’s gets impatient focusing both tubes then tires- they are a heavy set military style

Thank you

You might consider getting your wife a set of center-focus 8x32s--a bit smaller and lighter than the 8x 40/42 format. They are widely available within your price range. Good luck!

Not in my experience - I haven't used monoculars much at all but I use a spotting scope at times and even at low magnification and with the benefit of setting it up on a tripod, I find the experience of using binoculars far more natural and enjoyable.

I'd recommend, like others have, a lighter weight binocular with center focusing (a single focus wheel as opposed to the individual eyepiece focusers on the one you have). An 8x32 or 8x30 is generally regarded as the classic format for a ladies' birding binocular and would be a good place to start. Because everyone's eyes and facial features are different, it's extremely important to find a binocular that she finds easy and relaxed to look through, which handles well in her hands, and isn't too heavy or cumbersome. This is best done via side by side comparisons at a good optics store, preferably one that is more focused towards birders. I've seen some folks here who are also from TX - hopefully they'll be able to offer some recommendations.

How about these from the Binocular Bargain thread by Upland. I think your wife would enjoy the wider and steadier FOV provided by a nice small, lightweight binocular more than a monocular.

"Styrka S7 8x30 ED, Clone of Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 for $199. Great accessories.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XQ3JWDO/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ARUM8D9QTV2W3&psc=1

These were retailing for $499. Have seen them in the low $200s elsewhere, so they are probably being closed out."

Here is review on them from Optics Planet.

"Great hunting bino!
by Phil, from WV, United States Written on October 7, 2017

I have had a pair of 8x30's since for 10 months and can find no fault with these. Knob adjustment feels just right, ergonomics are spot on. I got to compare these with the Nikon Monarch 7 and the Maven B3. All are top-notch, but overall the Styrka won out. The Maven is a bit more compact and has a wider FOV, but lacked any accessories. The Styrka was their equal in crispness and low light conditions and appeared slightly more vibrant than the Nikons. Plus the warranty is unmatched. I have not sent them for a free tune up yet, but I like the case, chest strap and particularly the lens covers and neck strap. Far superior to the Vortex Diamondback. Took them to work and each person who used them remarked at the clarity and the feel."

Last edited:

Thank you

Hi ... I am going to go against what many here but not all have against using a monocular. For me using any type of viewing equipment over the years has been mainly stationary or slow moving wildlife or objects. This is one of the reasons a monocular was very well suited for my activities. If one has a problem for what ever reason when holding and viewing thru Two Eyes, a good monocular should not be ruled out instead for a pair of binoculars. Unlike the vast number of different Binocular types/brands/prices available today, the monocular market for the consumer today does not offer the same possible choices in pricing or quality.
I have handled many monoculars over the years, with most because of their lack of eye relief and just crappy optics kept me from really wanting to use one on a regular basis til I had the opportunity to try what Opticron had to offer. Their current top of the line DBA VHD 8x42 and 10x42 offer very long user friendly eye relief. They also have very high quality construction, with their optical glass now having some ED lens. I highly recommend these, you will not find a nicer monocular in quality of construction or optical view in a 8x/10x having a 42mm lens size. Leica and Zeiss offer a premium monocular in a small size but I do not think your wife will find these as relaxing/comfortable to use. Due to her challenging eye prescription is another reason I would recommend these. If your wife chooses to use a monocular your price range has to be really reconsidered. Opticrons are in the $400 range, with sales in the mid $300. These if you can bear the price would be a really nice retirement gift.

Last edited:
I say this because she has challenging eye prescription and when using my Bono’s gets impatient focusing both tubes then tires- they are a heavy set military style
You have a bino with independently focusing oculars. My father's favorite was a 7x50 Zeiss marine model which he carried everywhere... but he wasn't a birder. It can work well if you don't often switch between viewing near and far objects, because at low power (7x) a lot is in focus at once, but it's very tedious anytime you do need to change focus.

So if low power viewing of distant objects has been working well for both of you in this way, all she needs is her own pair so it doesn't need to be readjusted every time you swap it back and forth. Just be sure the model allows her to see the whole field while wearing her eyeglasses. (That's called eye relief, and she probably needs 15mm or more.)

But as others have suggested, most people find a model with central focusing more useful. There's a diopter setting to account for any difference between the eyes, and once that's set for you, you only have to turn a single focus knob to adjust the distance which is very easy and natural.

A monocular is not required to address this problem, and most people find it more natural and comfortable to use both eyes.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

What I read from your post is that your wife tried to use your military bins (probably with individual focus) and it didn't work well - did she wear her glasses when she did so?
Without glasses and a strong prescription she might not have had a chance due to lack of focus range. And even with the glasses, individual focus for birding is not great and military bins tend to have either minimal eye relief (and thus not great with glasses) or very long on some models for use with gas masks.

I would recommend indeed to have her try a few pairs of center focus binoculars with her glasses on and get her a pair which works for her and allows her to see the whole field.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back