• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod advice (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Dear All,

I'm considering buying a monopod to give me a light weight option for improving camera stability when on the move in the field.

I don't want to spend too much and am wondering if anyone can offer any recommendations? The Jessops range looks attractive price-wise when compared to, say, Manfrotto 'pod's, but I wonder whether they are inferor in quality or durability? For such a simple piece of kit, I find it difficult to understand the high prices of Manfrotto - or am I being nieve?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Kevin

Kev not used the Jessops offerings but my Manfrotto was bought of ebay, next to new and a fraction of the cost, keep yer eyes peeled you might find a reasonable 2nd hand buy.

I use a cheap Velbron - cost less than 20 quid new. Monopods don't need to be as sturdy as tripods. I looked at a Manfroto, but it was a lot heavier.

Kev,
In my opinion you only get what you pay for, i once bought a cheap tripod whilst on holiday it did the job resonably well but only lasted about three outings when things started to either seize up or fall apart, so i would definitely opt for one of the better brands such as Manfrotto .
Best Wishes,
Nigel.

Monopods do need to be as stable as tripods. Adding stability is the sole purpose of using them. There's quite a few flexible ones that easily bow when you brace them which to my mind aren't that much use. I must admit that I prefer Manfrotto ones as well. You don't need to buy the top of the range with added features just a simple sturdy one.

Monopod

I have just bought a Manfrotto 680B (£29.79) and Manfrotto 234RC head (£17.87) from T4 cameras - http://www.t4cameras.co.uk/.

They were cheaper than on e-bay and both work great. I think another important thing is to ensure that your monpod and head can take the weight of your camera and heaviest lens. Some of the longer lens can weigh quite a lot. The 680B can take 10kg.

I did look at cheaper alternatives but I was not convinced that they would last and in most reviews the Manfrotto monopods came out top.

I hope that this helps

Brian

I agree that a monopod does need to be solid, that's the whole point of using one. I use a Manfrotto 679B which is excellent, at just £27 it's well worth buying.

I agree that a monopod does need to be solid, that's the whole point of using one. I use a Manfrotto 679B which is excellent, at just £27 it's well worth buying.

I think the main point is to hold the weight of a heavy camera/lens combination. It doesn't matter how solid it is - it will still rock from side to side. For me, it had to be light. As long as it doesn't bend in the middle!!!

I think the main point is to hold the weight of a heavy camera/lens combination. It doesn't matter how solid it is - it will still rock from side to side. For me, it had to be light. As long as it doesn't bend in the middle!!!

A solid monopod will allow you to 'push down' on it which helps to eliminate sway, this does not work so well with a less solid monopod. I've seen plenty of cheap monopods that do bow in the middle, or where the weight of the camera will cause the legs locks to slip. For me there seem little point in buying a cheap one that may fail when you can get a good monopod form a well respected company for as just £27, buying a cheaper one will no doubt be a false economy.

Point taken Postcard. But I tried a heavy monopod and decided that if I had to lug that around, I may as well lug a tripod around! I tend to only use my monopod when I'm walking a lot and need something very light that will just help support the lens. Each to his own I suppose. I still maintain that it isn't AS important as using a good sturdy tripod against a cheap flimsy tripod.

I agree with postcardcv - you need to put pressure on the monopod. If you follow the techniques in this excellent article - http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3 - you will need to put sideways pressure on it (I prefer option 3 in that article). Many of the cheaper monopods (e.g. Slik small model) won't stand up to this type of use.

By the way, the Manfrotto 679B monopod is lighter than the 680B (I have both). You might think that the 680B, which collapses smaller, would be lighter, but no - it has more tubes, so it is heavier. I recommend the 679B, unless you absolutely need the shortness and portability of the 680B. I also recommend the 3229 tilt head, which is specially designed for monopods.

Last edited:
All good info so far, regarding strength and flexibility of a monopod.
If you go for the manfrotto 234 swivel monopod head, check out the combined weight of your body/lens combo, against manfrottos max weight recommended for the 234 head, and make your own judgement as to whether you feel safe with your gear on it.
regards I4ani

The Velbon Ultra Stick 50LX is my lightweight (and short when compressed) monopod.

I must admit to owning a heavy Manfrotto for days where I am going to be leaning against it for hours, but needed something that was easy to carry but reasonably strong and long enough to use

* Extended Height: 130.8cm
* Collapsed Height: 32.5cm
* Actual Weight: 210g

according to Amazon.

Good for that quick shot in poor light or where you need to be able walk miles with the thing. It has a Manfrotto 234 head.

N.B. I have used a heavy monopod as a walking pole or strapped it to belts or bags in the past - it is easier than a tripod.

Another alternative is a walking pole with a threaded top, but personally I don't like them.

Hi Kev - just seen where you are based - 2 yrs ago was located at Blunham - miss the Kingfishers but swapped them for Buzzards!

J

Last edited:
Hi Kev - just seen where you are based - 2 yrs ago was located at Blunham - miss the Kingfishers but swapped them for Buzzards!

J

Hi J,
Kingfishers still to be seen & buzzards becoming increasingly common over this way.

Thanks to everyone for the advice - some good tips and suggestions. Time to start narrowing the options by checking some out "in the hand". Just need to find a good store nearby. Sadly, Jessops don't have a good in-store selection, which means I may have to buy on recommendation only.
Thanks again
Kevin

Take a look at Velbon Neopods. They are a bit more expensive, but IMHO the extra price is worth it for the added stability and weight savings...

Feisol also offers some very good quality carbon fiber monopods at a decent price point.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back