• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 days in Central Florida (1 Viewer)

Michael Hogan

Acroperus
I am going to a conference in Orlando at the end of October. I am thinking about arrive 2 days early with my camera gear. I will rent a car so I am reasonably mobile. First question, is it worth bring the camera gear (Canon 40D, 300mm, 500mm) at that time of year and that location. Second question - if it is worth it, where are the best locations - my free days are Friday and Saturday - I am looking for good photography opportunities in locations that don't get very busy.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

Take your camera gear? - Definitely!!

Time of year? - Excellent

Where to go? - With transport, you're really spoilt for choice so I think the problem is making best use of the limited time you've got. If you search this sub forum you should find lots of recommended places.
Places I would definitely recommend - Merritt Island and Blackpoint Drive. For somewhere closer to Orlando, Orlando Wetlands Centre is good and in my experience doesn't get too busy. Depending on what you're interested in seeing, Meade Garden is also worth a visit for woodpeckers and other parkland/woodland spp.

Good luck and enjoy

kevin

Last edited:
Late October should be a very good time. It's starting to get cool up north so the snowbirds (human and avian) are starting to return. I agree that Merritt Island is excellent, you hardly have to get out of the car. That area also has Canaveral National Seashore which is very good. If there's a cold front while you're here, drive up to Blue Spring State Park to see the manatees, not birds of course, but very impressive. Blue Spring is a warm spring and manatees love warm water. If you have time, come visit us in Mount Dora, we're a charming community on the lake.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back