• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got $400US to spend on new bins.. (1 Viewer)

NervousXtian said:
Searching there site and it shows them for 463, so I don't understand the e-mail they sent.. weird

https://www.ewins.com/ventureii/eco...=&prevAttrNames=&prevAttrValues=&wild_search=

The only thing I can figure is there's some kind of a mix-up with the price they quoted. I wouldn't be surprised if the 32mm versions were a little more money (refurbs) than the 42mm because there not nearly as common. Their site says they welcome offers, so if your at all interested in the refurbished 8x42 LX's, I'd shoot off another e-mail asking their best price, which should be below that listed on the web-page. Might have to point it out to them.

Last edited:
I dropped yet one more E-mail.. but it's either gonna be these or the Swifts. The Swifts are lighter by almost 12oz which is nice, and over $100 cheaper. Yet if I can get the LX for around $400 I think I should jump on it. People seem to be real high on Nikon around here.

Well I went and bought the Swift's from the local Audubon Society nature store for a good price. The weight is much better for me, the Nikon's were a bit too heavy in my hands. I took them out along the trails and caught a glimpse of a Pileated Woodpecker and some Warblers. Happy with them so far, they have good optics and feel real solid.

UPDATE: I'm am very very happy with my Swift Audubon RP's. Very well built, with terrific optics. They feel good in the hand with a good feel to the focus wheel. Spotted all kinds of Warbler's and Pipin's yesterday and had a great time just watching birds. If anyone is looking for a good roof bin for around $300 I can't recommend these enough!

Checkout BVD

NervousXtian said:
I like the size and feel of roofs and have handled the Pentax DCF HRII (not the SP's) and the Swift Audubon 828HHS, also tried out Bushnell Legends and Leupold Olympus.

Leaning towards the 828HHS as they can be had for about $300 US, can't find a dealer around here who has the DCF SP so I can't see the dif between the HR's and the SP's.

I can get the Minox 8.5 x 43's for about $420 US. Haven't looked through them though.

Recommendations??

Checkout Better View Desired website Latest review is on the SPs. They love 'em. 17th Street Photo has $50 rebates on the 8X32 and 8x43, both in the price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back