• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocu-holics (1 Viewer)

Atomic Chicken

Registered with the D.O.E.
Greetings!

Just wondering if there are any other pathetic binocular addicts like myself on this board. Here's 10 signs to look for:

1 - Have you spent more money on binoculars than you spent on your car? Your wardrobe? Your house?

2 - Have you ever carried a single pair of binoculars in your car that cost more than the car itself?

3 - Is the first thing you do when you find yourself with large amounts of extra cash to take a trip to the local optics store(s) to evaluate binoculars?

4 - Is the first thing you do when you find yourself completely out of cash to take a trip to the local optics store(s) to evaluate binoculars?

5 - When business associates are talking about the new car or boat they just bought, are you thinking about what collection of binoculars you could have bought with the same amount of money?

6 - When friends or relatives ask what they can buy you for a christmas gift, do you say something like "whatever... as long as it has phase coating" ?

7 - Do you spend as much time watching birds through your binoculars as you do lovingly admiring your binoculars themselves?

8 - Do you understand obscure optics terminology like CA, edge sharpness, field of view, color purity, pincushion effect, and barrel distortion so well that you can correct the "experts" at optics stores and bulletin boards? Have you ever found it important enough to actually do so?

9 - Do you, after finding the "newest version" of the "dream binoculars", think to yourself that you will have to save every penny, skip lunch, do without new clothes, eat top ramen, and turn down the heater in the winter for "only 6 months or so" in order to afford them?

10 - Do you read posts like this one, and actually make it this far?

If so, my friend, you might just be a sad looser like myself.... a fellow "binocuholic" in need of serious help (or maybe just ONE MORE set of $1000+ binoculars! ;) )

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

Just wondering if there are any other pathetic binocular addicts like myself on this board. Here's 10 signs to look for:

1 - Have you spent more money on binoculars than you spent on your car? Your wardrobe? Your house?

2 - Have you ever carried a single pair of binoculars in your car that cost more than the car itself?

3 - Is the first thing you do when you find yourself with large amounts of extra cash to take a trip to the local optics store(s) to evaluate binoculars?

4 - Is the first thing you do when you find yourself completely out of cash to take a trip to the local optics store(s) to evaluate binoculars?

7 - Do you spend as much time watching birds through your binoculars as you do lovingly admiring your binoculars themselves?

If so, my friend, you might just be a sad looser like myself.... a fellow "binocuholic" in need of serious help (or maybe just ONE MORE set of $1000+ binoculars! ;) )

Best wishes,
Bawko
Yes to all that I have quoted...:eek!:
Number 2 is relevant. My binoculars cost over £600, I would be lucky to get £150 for my old car were I to sell it.

Bawko,

You might ask of me, "Have you given up your automobile to afford those new binoculars, with even less chromatic aberration?" That is the reason I could answer no to numbers 1, and 2.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Another Binocuholic

Hi! I confess to being a nut and presently possess the following:
1 & 2. Leica Trinovid BN's 8x32 & 8x42
3 & 4. Nikon Venturer LX's 8x32 & 8x42
5. Bausch & Lomb Elite 8x42
6. Swarovski EL 8x32
Just purchased the EL 8x32 last week. After reading all the (mostly excellent) reviews about the EL's, particularly the light weight & great ergonomics I HAD to zip over to a nearby Swarovski store and try them out. I was very impressed with the comfort level of the 8x32's. I will be selling the Venturers because of weight and too rapid focus for me. The clarity through all of them is excellent and more than sufficient for me. Best eye comfort and focusing "snap" are the 8x32 EL and Leica BN 8x42 and these will definitely be my keepers. And I must agree with the often stated view of many BF members that binoculars must be held and tried out before purchasing. Reviews and specs just won't always do it.

P.S. Forgot about the Pentax DCF SP 8x42's I purchased for "only" $450. Actually quite good for the price although the fov is only 330 ft/1000 yds. Also, for those who are itching for something new, the World Twitch website has pics of the soon to be released 8x32 EL competition; the Zeiss FL and Leica Ultravid 8x32's.
Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

5 - When business associates are talking about the new car or boat they just bought, are you thinking about what collection of binoculars you could have bought with the same amount of money?

6 - When friends or relatives ask what they can buy you for a christmas gift, do you say something like "whatever... as long as it has phase coating" ?

8 - Do you understand obscure optics terminology like CA, edge sharpness, field of view, color purity, pincushion effect, and barrel distortion so well that you can correct the "experts" at optics stores and bulletin boards? Have you ever found it important enough to actually do so?

9 - Do you, after finding the "newest version" of the "dream binoculars", think to yourself that you will have to save every penny, skip lunch, do without new clothes, eat top ramen, and turn down the heater in the winter for "only 6 months or so" in order to afford them?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back